ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

August Top Gear - Clio 197

muz

big fat japanese bus
dont know, EVO loved it as well gave it 5 pages plus there was a CD with the mag

The Mini GP only got 2 pages as well BUT it got 5 stars

RS Meg 175
^^ lol
Clarkson will slate it methinks only because the lanky sod cant clamber in it lol
Looks wise im not a fan of it tbh especially the non sport models

Black/Gold 182
I just got a free subscription to Top Gear magazine, it's a load of shite with more adverts then anything else. Wish I could have got Evo

CJ

Blue ph1 172
clarkson loved the 182 tho, he slated it's build, the plasticy bits etc but said he still loves it like a little puppy that's ready to please lol

Red Clio 197 F1
Sounds as though all the good press is swaying some of the ClioSport fans :)

Amazing what a bit of good marketing and advertising will do :)

I've always liked it, but it could do with more of an agressive stance

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
JayJo said:
Sounds as though all the good press is swaying some of the ClioSport fans :)

Amazing what a bit of good marketing and advertising will do :)

I've always liked it, but it could do with more of an agressive stance

PMSL! yes it is funny how when it 1st came out nobody liked it, now 'EVO' like it, everybody jumps on the bandwagon!

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
Clarkson likes Clios though, he just isn't too impressed with the build quality. I reckon he will 'love' the way it drives but won't be impressed with it's understated looks. I reckon he will sl4g the looks of it 'big' time, but I guess we will just have to wait and see. ;)

Red Clio 197 F1
WHO CARES WHAT CLARKSON SAYS - oops half the world does!!

Thankfully all the cars I have owned, he has liked - not had a Koinigsegg yet(can't spell it)!!

MK1 V6 Lutecia / 197
So I guess all the harcore 182 fans are never gonna admit to actually liking or wanting to chance to the new 197 ever.....!

They'll still be driving 10 year old cars and clinging on to there insecurities whilst the rest of us move on to the new kids on the block....in this case the 197 and then whatever comes after that. I guarantee everyone on here in a years time will either own a 197 or want one and their opinions on the 182 vs 197 will have totally come 360.....this always happens when a new RS model is launched. So predictable.....I for one would hate to be driving a 172 cup/182 etc with the new 197 out. You would feel old hat as everyone generaly does when a car company releases their next generation model. Most car companies have a good habit of making their previous models look like s**t and Reanult have definatley done this with the 197.....ie, the 182 looks dated, boxy and old next to it, just like the MK1 did when the MK2 172 came out.....hey ho.....

Saw one yesterday in Newtownards in red and it looked pretty good form the front.....very low and wide a bit like the V6.

Astra VXR 17/05/07
R8TDL said:
So I guess all the harcore 182 fans are never gonna admit to actually liking or wanting to chance to the new 197 ever.....!

They'll still be driving 10 year old cars and clinging on to there insecurities whilst the rest of us move on to the new kids on the block....in this case the 197 and then whatever comes after that. I guarantee everyone on here in a years time will either own a 197 or want one and their opinions on the 182 vs 197 will have totally come 360.....this always happens when a new RS model is launched. So predictable.....I for one would hate to be driving a 172 cup/182 etc with the new 197 out. You would feel old hat as everyone generaly does when a car company releases their next generation model. Most car companies have a good habit of making their previous models look like sh*t and Reanult have definatley done this with the 197.....ie, the 182 looks dated, boxy and old next to it, just like the MK1 did when the MK2 172 came out.....hey ho.....

Saw one yesterday in Newtownards in red and it looked pretty good form the front.....very low and wide a bit like the V6.
What a load of twaddle.

I own a 182 and love it to bits. I couldn't give a flying fig what Clarkson, you, or the Popes-sisters-husbands-best friends gerbil thinks. When i`m splashing out my hard earned on a brand new car i don`t give a toss about badge loyalty. With the 182 i simply went for the best all round hot hatch there was on the market and the 182 ticked all the boxes. I have been to see the 197 because i am always interested in whats out there.

Yup, the 182 looks a bit out of date and the 197 is better built but the reason i won`t be buying on anytime soon is simply because the 182 is still one hell of a car and in my opinion it hasn`t been eclipsed by the 197.

Sorry to burst your bubble but the 197 has not come close to making the 182 look s**t so i won`t be driving around wishing i had a 197 because if i thought it was worth it i`d have one. Like i said, its not about car or badge loyalty for me its all about wanting to own the best available car out there if i`m going to change. The 197 is not the best on offer, for an all round package and price of them there is better.

Can`t say i have ever come across older 205 Gti owners naffed off because Peugeot have introduced better cars, after all these years we are still waiting. A new car does not always mean it knocks spots of the older outgoing model, Golf Gti is another example, VW introduced better built and newer models for years but they didn`t come close to the outgoing models.

When something comes out thats worth swapping my 182 for i`ll think about it, with the introduction of the 197 the search is still on.

182 RB FF
^^ Well Said, I just bought my 182 a few weeks ago knowing about the 197, its an ugly car and i won't be wanting one.

Clio 1.216v Dynamique said:
Yep it dont look to bad tbh, when it first come out I thought it looked sh*t but its grew on me kinda like it now

im like that too, when it first came out, i thought, 'im not getting one of these' but now i may consider it in the future....:eek:

I saw 2 in the dealership today and they were talking to me. "Go to the bank get a loan" they said!

i looked and looked at the 197 yesterday, sat in it, got out and looked again...i think the 182 looks better...not dated at all...but the 197 is defo finished better on the interior. the renault dealer asked me what i thought about the 197 and i said i just wasn't too sure on the new design at all. i suppose when renault bring out a face lift model in about 2 or 3 mths then i might look again .
As for Clarkson...everyone knows he detests the french :)

Last edited:
  RS Clio 182 Trophy
When something comes out thats worth swapping my 182 for i`ll think about it, with the introduction of the 197 the search is still on.

Well said!
As for brand loyalty goes... I know most of us won't buy any other renault. We just love our 'out-dated' little clio's.

R8TDL said:

They'll still be driving 10 year old cars and clinging on to there insecurities whilst the rest of us move on to the new kids on the block....in this case the 197 and then whatever comes after that. I guarantee everyone on here in a years time will either own a 197 or want one and their opinions on the 182 vs 197 will have totally come 360.....this always happens when a new RS model is launched. So predictable.....I for one would hate to be driving a 172 cup/182 etc with the new 197 out. You would feel old hat as everyone generaly does when a car company releases their next generation model. Most car companies have a good habit of making their previous models look like sh*t and Reanult have definatley done this with the 197.....ie, the 182 looks dated, boxy and old next to it, just like the MK1 did when the MK2 172 came out.....hey ho.....

What a lot of shite

RS Clio 182 Trophy
So predictable.....I for one would hate to be driving a 172 cup/182 etc with the new 197 out. You would feel old hat as everyone generaly does when a car company releases their next generation model... the 182 looks dated, boxy and old next to it, just like the MK1 did when the MK2 172 came out.....hey ho.....

I don't feel s**t driving around in my 182 - thinking 'I wish I had a 197'. Renault have built a modern classic in the 172/182 however times move on and people change their cars. Just like when the 205 gti was out... and the 206 gti never lived up to the character or reputation of the 205. Just as i'd expect this to be the case with the 197.

A red missile
R8TDL said:

Absolute b****cks, i wouldn't swap the Trophy for a 197 - boxy and old my arse.

R8TDL,

You've missed the point by a hundred miles. Some people want a true HOT HATCH with all it's inherent behaviours. Small, light, quick in the turn in. Basically what the 197 is not. The mags have said it is not as quick as a 182, even with a better set of ratios.

Still, why do you think people still rate the Willy, 109GTi, and even dare I sat VTS and 106GTI.

Of course it is made better, and more comfortable. Yet not the habits of a REAL HOT HATCH.

Maybe people will change when there are no low mileage/mint examples of the MK2's left. Who cares. The whole thing was summed up by one proper car mag. "yes it is a capable car, and you will be thinking OK, does the job, yet?", with the 182. "You won't want to get out the car till the petrol runs out!!!!?

Says it all. Modern does not make a car that people want to drive. Safer- yes, heavier- yes, technically better- of course yes, better car?, better ability?- better fun- no way.

I have had a MK1 172, mk2 172 and a cupped 182. I enjoy the fun and I drive police pursuit cars for a living. No way is the 197 ever getting into my blood as an old school hot hatcher.

Had 1.9 gti, 306 gti6, oh even forgot the original Golf gti at about 10 secs. to 60, even that was fun for a slow car.

Hot hatches need the fun factor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for the rant

172 cup and Saab 9-3
totally agree the man knows the feeling of owning something special my cup ain't going anywhere i've got a feeling it's going to gain the status and respect of the 205 gti.

Cheers guys, hate the answers "well better built", More forgiving", "moving on". In a lot of respects things have NOT moved on. Let's try; fun, absolute fun, and more fun yet.

I am not an RS fan per sae, just looked at what's available for the fun I want, over the last 5 years it's the best HOT Hatch. Not any large overweight better built piece of Germanic engineering. I want the fun.

I drive "fast" diesels for a living, yet they are slow witted and not fast other that on an open road.

Don't forget that I live within the M25 and our 530 BM's can't hope to keep up with my little O'l 182

MK1 V6 Lutecia / 197
blaze said:
R8TDL,

You've missed the point by a hundred miles. Some people want a true HOT HATCH with all it's inherent behaviours. Small, light, quick in the turn in. Basically what the 197 is not. The mags have said it is not as quick as a 182, even with a better set of ratios.

Still, why do you think people still rate the Willy, 109GTi, and even dare I sat VTS and 106GTI.

Of course it is made better, and more comfortable. Yet not the habits of a REAL HOT HATCH.

Maybe people will change when there are no low mileage/mint examples of the MK2's left. Who cares. The whole thing was summed up by one proper car mag. "yes it is a capable car, and you will be thinking OK, does the job, yet?", with the 182. "You won't want to get out the car till the petrol runs out!!!!?

Says it all. Modern does not make a car that people want to drive. Safer- yes, heavier- yes, technically better- of course yes, better car?, better ability?- better fun- no way.

I have had a MK1 172, mk2 172 and a cupped 182. I enjoy the fun and I drive police pursuit cars for a living. No way is the 197 ever getting into my blood as an old school hot hatcher.

Had 1.9 gti, 306 gti6, oh even forgot the original Golf gti at about 10 secs. to 60, even that was fun for a slow car.

Hot hatches need the fun factor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for the rant

By only 100 miles? Damn I ws wishing for at least 102....

I think its you who by the sounds of things and judging by what you've just written who has missed the point, and this is typical of most on here with the intro of a new model. Deluding yourself that the new kid on the block is not worthy...

How can you presume everything you've just written about the new 197 model that you say you won't drive or own? Do you have the gift of foresight or just the gift of the gabb?

How can you or anyone else possibly have an informed opinion on the 197 if you declare you will never own one (driving one for a 10 minute test drive is not long enough)......how do you know the 197 won't become an old school hot hatch? What makes you the authority that the 197 has no fun factor? Lets be realistic about this the new 197 is no slower or quicker than the 182, 172 blah de blah......they're all the same unless you can count in 0.1 second intervals...:sleepy:

Maybe in a year or two when the 197 Trophy/Cup/Wheelbarrow comes out you're views/opinions will have changed.....I'm pretty sure it will as you seem to have driven every other Renault hot hatch of recent years so you clearly change motors when the new ones are introduced, hence completley shooting yourself in both feet on everything you have just written above...what for you,makes the buck stop with the 197 then? Very strange....you must know soemthing about the 197 that we all don't?

Or maybe, just like most, you are actually hiding from the fact that the new 197 is where Renault Sport is at right now. I will bet you and anyone else money that in 6 months, a year, 18 months, 2 years all your 172/182 s will have been replaced with a 197 variant.

Prove me wrong....

MK1 V6 Lutecia / 197
63/500 said:
Absolute b****cks, i wouldn't swap the Trophy for a 197 - boxy and old my arse.

Could you be or sound any more defensive......give it a year maybe less. You won't be driving the trophy forever!

Was chatting to a guy last night at the cinema who had a Trophy. Came over to admire the Vee's looks and sound! (New Quicksilver exhaust fitted a few hours earlier) It kinda drowned out the non existent 182 engine noise!

Think I convinced him to change to a MK2 V6.....his girlfriend certainly thought the V6 was in a league of its own! I'm sure he'll make the right choice!

Never say never is my philosophy...

Oh and it is boxy compared to the 197.....take a look, and it is old by definition that its last years model....ie on a timeline 2005 comes before 2006. Sorry to have to clarify those points. I thought they were easily understood.

Astra VXR 17/05/07
R8TDL,

Ok, I'm willing to bet. A house worth over 220k, my 182, my 05 Megane, every penny i have saved, my inheritance, my wife's inheritance, my children's savings, my secret stash, everything else material i own, the max limit on my credit cards including money they want me to loan, any loans i can get, money off my family and my wife's family, a whip round from everybody i work with and know and for good measure i am willing to sell any limbs i can to secure cash if i loose.....

That in 6 months, a year or 2 years that my 182 would not of been replaced by the 197 variant.

Bringing out a new model doesn`t mean that everybody who owns the older version will trade in for the new one !

What planet are you on thinking that ?????

Please stop making a fool out of yourself, you are quickly turning into the forum eeejit with your statements. Please tell me it`s your idea of a joke ???

Funkyjahooner said:
R8TDL,

Ok, I'm willing to bet. A house worth over 220k, my 182, my 05 Megane, every penny i have saved, my inheritance, my wife's inheritance, my children's savings, my secret stash, everything else material i own, the max limit on my credit cards including money they want me to loan, any loans i can get, money off my family and my wife's family, a whip round from everybody i work with and know and for good measure i am willing to sell any limbs i can to secure cash if i loose.....

That in 6 months, a year or 2 years that my 182 would not of been replaced by the 197 variant.
Its worth buying you one to get all that! ;)

MK1 V6 Lutecia / 197
Funkyjahooner said:
R8TDL,

Bringing out a new model doesn`t mean that everybody who owns the older version will trade in for the new one !

What planet are you on thinking that ?????

Please stop making a fool out of yourself, you are quickly turning into the forum eeejit with your statements. Please tell me it`s your idea of a joke ???

I guess the bet is on then...I don't make statements I can't stand by...;)

Can you? Otherwise I'm gonna be very rich although I would have preferred some real estate/property with a higher value than £220,000...

What I don't understand is that you've worked your way from the original 172 MK1 to the MK2 and now to the 182.....whya are you so sure that you won't change to the 197 at some point? Strange of nothing else.....the 197 has just been released after all. Did you sponsor these feelings when they replaced the 172 MK1 witht the MK2 and then the 172 with the 182?

Your argument here is a bit irrational to say the least for someone who is obviously a Renault sport enthusiast.

Last edited:
  Astra VXR 17/05/07
R8TDL said:
I guess the bet is on then...I don't make statements I can't stand by...;)

Can you? Otherwise I'm gonna be very rich although I would have preferred some real estate/property with a higher value than £220,000...

What I don't understand is that you've worked your way from the original 172 MK1 to the MK2 and now to the 182.....whya are you so sure that you won't change to the 197 at some point? Strange of nothing else.....the 197 has just been released after all. Did you sponsor these feelings when they replaced the 172 MK1 witht the MK2 and then the 172 with the 182?

You asked why am i so sure, heres why. IMO they are overpriced, i don`t like the look of them, they don`t come with enough standard equipment and there are better cars in that price range, oh and i don`t like the look of them.

Your argument here is a bit irrational to say the least for someone who is obviously a Renault sport enthusiast.

I thought i made it clear in an earlier post, but seeing as things don`t sink in i`ll repeat myself.

I don`t give a flying f**k about Renault Sport other than the fact i own a 182 which i purchased because at that time it was the best small hot hatch on the market and best value bar none. 2 years down the line it still is, and that still stands with the introduction of the 197. When and if i choose to change i will again go for the same package and not give a toss about what badge it wears. I can bet anything i like and i know it won`t be a 197, so why are you trying to tell people who don`t like the car for whatever reason that they will end up with one ????

Sorry for only having a house worth 220k but it is a large detached overlooking open farmland, out in the countryside but hey ho, i wouldn't worry about it because i won`t` ever be getting a 197. Shame for you really because i have a couple of large inheritances heading my way at some point. Why cant you get it that not every Renault Sport owners love Renault's and have to have one ??

Why cant you get it that not every Renault Sport owners love Renault's and have to have one ??

^^^ I have repeated myself because you don`t seem to take on board what people are saying to you.

i think your a bit sad Funkyjahooner ranting on about what you own, what house you have etc.

Who gives a f**k. this has nothing to do with the 197. stick to the topic.

Last edited: