ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Audi S3 Driveway Engine Removal

Many.
This is the most recent driveway project of mine, One in a long line of them.

Backstory is, Its my brothers Audi, Owned for 3 years now, covered approx 8k in that time, so very little useage.
Recently devloped a problem with the ESP/ABS which was traced to the sensor in the servo, I forget what its called, all I need to know, is I have to replace it.

Having had a look at the servo, and seeing the lack of space behind the engine, I decided the engine was coming out, This would be a good time to look at the oil leak its had the whole time he has owned the car, and change the cambelt, plus a general service and check over as you can imagine.

Old pic from when I detailed it last year
null_zpsdba5ccb2.jpg

Nice compelely packed engine bay
null_zpsb6fec30e.jpg

Boost pipe off and you can just about see the brake reservoir, It had a new Master cylinder a couple of years ago, I'd hate to do that job!
reservior

Quickily got to work removing the front end, Bumper, headlights, then complete front panel (plastic)
null_zpscf213500.jpg

Rads removed, One intercooler removed, Screenwash bottle, plus various other bits. Leaving the A/C complete so theres no need to refill it.
null_zps88c123e3.jpg

Few more bits removed, second intercooler, PAS pump, A/C compressor, Plus by this time I had shafts out, propshaft disconnected, exhaust downpipe removed from the turbo plus various other items including all the wiring etc. Ready to pull the engine out.
null_zps1a0a029f.jpg

Then finally....
null_zps2095d6db.jpg

null_zps387a5c4b.jpg

And heres the reason all this has had to happen.
null_zps42efb064.jpg

I've now removed the Servo, New one will be fitted asap. So far its taken me about 4 evenings (over 10days) to get this far, and I plan to have it finished within a further 10days, Unless I find any big issues, which so far I haven't other than the cracked oil feed pipe, which is where the oil leak comes from.

Thought it might intrest a few :)

Many.
Update...

Onto the belt change, Old belt etc off
null_zpsa54d2e0a.jpg

Plastic water pump out, metal pump in, Mucho better.
null_zps4c16e55c.jpg

New stuff on
null_zps9788a43d.jpg

Then onto a bit of a b*****d job, The three bolts for the Turbo, Had to cut and drill them out. Simply too tight. Replaced with Genuine bolts (Updated design though!)
null_zps8820a281.jpg

Then onto the bad bit, While removing the turbo, Noticed the exhaust turbine housing was cracked...
null_zpsa176bc27.jpg

null_zpse57fbd3c.jpg

There is more cracks, but I forgot pics of those. New turbo bought, Rushed it back together Thursday and Friday night, finishing it Yesterday (Saturday)

Was very easy to put back together, only struggle was lining up the front panel correctly.
null_zpse36b0535.jpg

null_zps92713fca.jpg

Then today...
null_zps72523439.jpg

Drives lovely, brakes work as they should, seems to boost a bit better now. Just the PAS needs to quieten down, which should do with useage, worst case I'll have to change it, which is easy enough.

Now this is off to make way for the next one, A MK2 Golf GTi!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Excellent work Alex - you should get a quote from Audi as to how much that work would have cost you!

On your 4th pic - the oil filter looks to be in a right b**ch of a location. I'm assuming that on a simple oil change, the filter could be reached from underneath?

​D.

Many.
Cheers guys, I'd have much preferred to do it on the ramp but simply can't have a dead car sat there waiting, not enough space! So driveway as I've done for many years now works fine.

Its been a while since I serviced it, as you can imagine with the lack of use its not that often I do it! But I seem to recall it wasn't that hard, the key is to not over tighten the filter when fitting it. I remember it being a harder job on my mates Leon Cupra, even with the same engine!

Audi goes back to my brother tonight once I've given it a wash.

BMW M135i
On your 4th pic - the oil filter looks to be in a right b**ch of a location. I'm assuming that on a simple oil change, the filter could be reached from underneath?
Thats f**k all! You want to try a RS megane one, especially one with a sandwich plate fitted.