ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Audi 1.8T Problems?

My cars currently sorn as i work in france. In the next year am only going to have a month at home with nothing to do. Ive Been thinking about doing the converstion but ive no experiance with cars. I know how to work a spanner as i used to work in a motorbike shop. so any idvice is appreciated..

Is the conversion not a good idea for a novice?
What modifacations are needed I.E Cutting drive shafts? welding of things...
What sort of money would i be looking at?

Any other usfull info would be nice.

ValverInBits
Theres a few going on atm inc mine.
NO (and I cannot stress this enough) it's not good for a novice. I wouldn't describe myself as mega experienced, but I still wouldnt recommend it unless you are confident.
The custom fabrication list is fairly long. You'll probably want to chop and reweld the chassis leg on the N/S to mount the VAG mount. Simpler but similar on the O/S. Then a fully custom fabricated dogbone mount. Then there is adapters to be fabricated for both N/S and O/S mounts, to have the engine sat low enough. The driveshafts, although you can have these done at a couple of companies.
Then onto management. You'll need a Qpeng setup for OEM ECU use, or a full standalone setup (£600 for ECU alone). Then theres all the little costs you forget about like boost piping, FMIC, rad pipes, oil lines, the list goes on....
Cost is entirely dependant on turbo/spec
As a real base figure. You might get away with under £3k I spose. If you want to start running more than 210bhp (K04 turbo terratory) then it'll start to climb.
If you really wanted to give it a try. My recommendation would be to buy a MK1 clio really cheap (not even a 16v) then an engine (preferably an AGU code) as cheap as you can. Try and mount that and take it from there. If you start it on your MK2 and then give up, it will only be worth scrap value.
mark