ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Are you proud to own a RenaultSport?

Wouldnt go as far as saying 'proud' but its good to see them do good as its always fun to have a dig at my brother who's always banging on about how good Hondas are yet seem to be doing poo at the minute! :)

Turbos.
I'm not sure the F1 success and associated Renault kudos has quite filtered to the masses yet. In fact, even i forget about Renault being good in F1!

I still find myself having to explain what a 172 is to people, and they still remain unimpressed. Whereas i'm sure if i said i had Golf GTI they'd know what i'm talking about!

I'm always gettin slagged for driving a 'girly' clio, but im not bothered.. the F1 didnt make any difference to me either lol

Lots of Alfas
I think you should be proud of whatever car you own, whether its a 1.2 or a 3.0. Renault powered cars have won hundreds of F1 races and won at le mans and the monte carlo rally in the past. I guess when Renault rip you off sometimes some of the profits made go towards the developement of the cars etc.

Jeremy Clarkson once said Renault are the only F1 team that actually make you want to buy there cars.

172 mk2...with clima
cliobuyer said:
I still find myself having to explain what a 172 is to people, and they still remain unimpressed. Whereas i'm sure if i said i had Golf GTI they'd know what i'm talking about!

but that still doesn't mean they'd be impressed...

Anyone who knows their hot hatches knows the 172/182.

clio 200 F4Rt
like papercup says, those in the know understand when u say you drive a RS.

i dont follow the F1, so that doesnt effect me. and its a shame Renault dont do more than the S1600/JWRC in rallying.

but back to the question, am i proud? i guess so...

Black Gold Clio 182
I was on my way to work last Thursday along the M3 when I spotted a work colleague in front of me in his Clitroen C5, I rang his mobile (both hands free of course) and told him if he keeps driving that slow in the outside lane we'll never get to work! When we got to work he said, he'd looked in his mirror and thought, ahh, old mans Clio, I'll pull over and let him in front then just pull back out and keep up.

Suffice to say, he didn't manage the last bit.

He now has huge respect for a 182 CS.

So in answer to the question 'Are you proud to own a RenaultSport' I'd have to say, '........content to own........'

Land Rovers are my main passion, but the 182 CS rocks!

:D

Stef

Scirocco GT 210
When people ask me what I drive I always say "just a clio" because that's exactly what it is.

On the rare occasion when I'm talking to someone who isn't completely clueless when it comes to cars, they might ask "what engine size is it?". They tend to be impressed when I say it's a 2.0l. Although only one person has known what a '172' is, he was very impressed and wanted to see it!

God knows why, it's still a slow hatchback.

Although I am glad Renault are doing well in F1!

FF 182, K5 GSX-R1000
^ As above, in normal 'what you drive' convo, id never say Clio RS, just Clio.

f1 makes no difference to the road cars, infact WRC and TC dont influence me with road cars as they arent remotely similar. Bring back hologamation (sp?)

Mondeo STTDCI
I always say "just a clio". Then when in a later conversation and I'm talking about something car related and they say "but you just drive a little clio".

I'm like, "yeah but a 2.0l one"

BMW E46 330i Touring
Steve2004 said:
God knows why, it's still a slow hatchback.

Hmm, I wouldn't say slow. It's no sports car but it's not a slow hatchback.

Proud? Not really, although I think it's the first car I've ever owned that I set out to buy a long time before I actually do, so I am pleased I own one.

Black Gold 182
I don't think it's only the F1 success that makes me proud but its also the fact that Clio's are unique and specifially the 172/182s. The car just recently started being sold here in some parts of the Middle East, and its amazing how ppl notice it on the streets.

"Clio Williams"

People know.. ;)

(And it is technically a RenaultSport car... ;) )

As for F1, I prefer it when Ferrari win.. :)

I'm proud I guess, but not of the F1 thing, just for owning one to be honest.

It walks a fine line but they still just manage that "it" factor that many other hatches don't manage, which imo is amazing considering how cheap you can buy them for these days. Many other Renaultsport owners will give a knowing nod, a wave or a frantic flashing of their lights when they see you, or come over for a chat in a car park or petrol station. I thought that sort of thing only happened with old Beetle's etc, its a nice feeling though.

Whatever people say, Renaultsports are still relatively rare on British roads (compare sales against something like a Civic Type R) and that helps. But its also the way that all of them (from the 16V onwards) have always had that "same but different" look to them, the average person knows it a different or special Clio, but from a visual perspective its hard for them to work out why when looking at it.

Tangoed Works
Well I have always supported Ferrari and until I can afford to drive one of their cars, the RSC suits me best for now. Drop dead gorgeous looks and the speed to match. As I work as an estate agent, the clients love it when they get in! Had a presenter off SKY 719 (some sort of adult channel), she was like this car is lush!

As for telling them what car ill be in, "a black clio" works fine for me!

Ad

MK2 FRS
cliobuyer said:
I'm not sure the F1 success and associated Renault kudos has quite filtered to the masses yet. In fact, even i forget about Renault being good in F1!

agree....100%... i hate the explanation speech:) but when you drive it makes up for it.

Clio 172 mk2
Renaults F1 success definately can't do them any harm....although most people (myself iincluded) didn't buy one because of that connection.

TBH I don't feel proud to own the car but I actually like the way it looks fairly low key and not much different to the entry level Clios.

had a r5 turbo many moons ago loved that car ,when i test drove my 182 well the memories came flooding back,thats why i bought mine thrills with spills for not a lot of dosh pleasing the masses?

Cupra
Proud to own one but not due to F1.

The best bit is that hardly anybody over here knows what they are. I have given a few people from work a lift who gave comments like, " oh nice, it has leather... is that real?" when they hopped in. As soon as you put your foot down they appreciate it is not an ordinary Clio. Makes me smile everytime.

172 mk2...with clima
I must make another point; i am proud of owning a RenaultSport because of the fact that Renault care about the marque and the people that own them; their trackdays (and i must book at least one soon) are cool; just for RS owners and they even bring their new models for you to drive - how cool is that?

Oh, and any company that still make something as barking as the V6 (whether its any good or not :rolleyes: ) gets my vote.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
I think that the Car has nothing to do with F1 for me, as I bought the Cup before Renault became really the force that they are now in F1 (I know that they were a force before with Schuey & Benetton). Because there are so many people who have a 1.2 and have put bodykits to make them look faster, some people don't appreciate that the RS Clio is a little more than a shopping car, and when it leaves them behind at the traffic lights, etc. it gives me a smile to think that I could have paid twice the amount I spent on the cup and still have no real difference to my driving experience apart from better build quality (supposedly).

I think that once the 172/182s become cheap enough for the local 'chav' element then it will dilute the brand a hell of a lot for most of us on here. Thats not snobbery, just honesty.

Proud - No
Happy - More than.

Donny

ClioSport 182
To the masses: Its just a Clio. Hard not to see the disappointment in the questioner's eyes when you give the "short" answer to the question - "What car do you have?".

To the few: The 182 its one of the hotest hatches ever built.

Renualt doing great in F1 doesn't change anything in my book. I didn't buy the 182 on the strength of F1 performance which probably has little or no bearing on the quality of the production machines.

KnightAzul

Clio 172 mk2
donnyo said:
I think that the Car has nothing to do with F1 for me, as I bought the Cup before Renault became really the force that they are now in F1 (I know that they were a force before with Schuey & Benetton). Because there are so many people who have a 1.2 and have put bodykits to make them look faster, some people don't appreciate that the RS Clio is a little more than a shopping car, and when it leaves them behind at the traffic lights, etc. it gives me a smile to think that I could have paid twice the amount I spent on the cup and still have no real difference to my driving experience apart from better build quality (supposedly).

I think that once the 172/182s become cheap enough for the local 'chav' element then it will dilute the brand a hell of a lot for most of us on here. Thats not snobbery, just honesty.

Proud - No
Happy - More than.

Donny

Very true

I haven't seen many 'maxed' RS Clios around so still feel okay driving my car....it doesn't look much different than a normal Clio:D