ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

are these speakers any good

clio mk2 1.2
hi, i am looking to upgrade the blown speakers in my 1.2 clio dynamic. are these speakers decent ?
would the tweeters just fit in place of the standard clio ones in my dash ? if there no good if you recomend some more that would be great, my budget is £55 max
​thanks

[url]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JBL-GT5-500c-13cm-90w-5-25-5-Car-Components-Speakers-/160740601459?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item256ce2ee73&clk_rvr_id=515861526496&afsrc=1

[/URL]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JVC-CS-HX...1?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item2c6c7da577

172cup
installing the first ones isnt too big a job. can do it in an afternoon if your organised. you can go the whole way and remove the original wires and rewire decent wiring to the hu. for 55 quid i would just snip the originals out and splice the new ones into the original wires. all standard fit mate providing their 13cm. Dash out is daunting but its easy in reality, only 6 screws. sure theres a guide here if you look. first choice for me all day. comps are far superior for SQ.

Polo + Micra
i'm guessing the connectors have already been cut off due to what you have said in the other thread

i'd just install the jbl's in the front and disconnect the rears and see how that goes

clio mk2 1.2
i'm guessing the connectors have already been cut off due to what you have said in the other thread

i'd just install the jbl's in the front and disconnect the rears and see how that goes

Okay cheers, will there be any modification needed to put the tweeters in the dash where the standard ones are? because I'm not going it have the car for long they are gonna go in my 74 beetle after

Clio 182
Answer to your first question - Yes. The JBL components you've posted will be good. In my opinion, JBL are a hugely underrated brand and people always have doubts when buying their products. The coaxils you've posted I can't give you an opinion as ive never heard them, but if it was me I'd buy the JBL: GT5-502 - 13cm speakers from Car Audio Security. Their part of the same range as the components you've suggested and are 3 squids cheeper ;)

Secondly - fitting components properly in a clio isn't an easy job if your not much of an audio freak. I'd recommend buying the JBL components you've suggested, but just look into the fitting requirements first and decide if you have the necessary skills needed to fit them. If you decide you don't fancy fitting components the long way then like Thomas suggested, the Pioneers might be a better bet.

Hope this helps dude!

clio mk2 1.2
Answer to your first question - Yes. The JBL components you've posted will be good. In my opinion, JBL are a hugely underrated brand and people always have doubts when buying their products. The coaxils you've posted I can't give you an opinion as ive never heard them, but if it was me I'd buy the JBL: GT5-502 - 13cm speakers from Car Audio Security. Their part of the same range as the components you've suggested and are 3 squids cheeper ;)

Secondly - fitting components properly in a clio isn't an easy job if your not much of an audio freak. I'd recommend buying the JBL components you've suggested, but just look into the fitting requirements first and decide if you have the necessary skills needed to fit them. If you decide you don't fancy fitting components the long way then like Thomas suggested, the Pioneers might be a better bet.

Hope this helps dude!

Okay cheers will be looking to those,
I think I will be getting the jbl components with seperate tweeters to go on my dash, would I need to use the crossover or just use the original tweeter wires, don't want to do a really perfect install they won't be in there for too long
thanks

Okay cheers will be looking to those,
I think I will be getting the jbl components with seperate tweeters to go on my dash, would I need to use the crossover or just use the original tweeter wires, don't want to do a really perfect install they won't be in there for too long
thanks

Use the proper crossover as the standard Renault one will be different frequencies most likely which will damage the speakers

Polo + Micra
you'd have to see what the x-over is like but looking at the speakers it is just for the tweeter

so it should be a case of just connecting the speakers to the wires that are there and away you go

Polo + Micra
Use the proper crossover as the standard Renault one will be different frequencies most likely which will damage the speakers

the standard renault one is built into the back of the tweeter so if you remove the tweeter you also remove it

Regarding removing the rear speakers, I have some coaxials in the rear, not by choice, they were in when I got the car when I got it. When I took them out it sounded a lot worse, they do provide a bit of surround for me anyway. Change the fronts, it's not an afternoon job, it's an hour job max if you have your head around the wiring and see what it's like. Once you've got an idea of the sound quality, remove the rears (5 min job) and try again. Like I said I prefer the bit of surround they provide.

Also, just to clarify ThomasBrentnall is right about the standard crossover, it's built into the tweeter so if you just run normal wires to the new speakers they won't have a crossover and the tweeters will blow and you'll be worse off.

It's not a hard job in reality so get stuck in!

Edit - beaten by Dink.

Polo + Micra
if it was me i'd replace the rears with some mid bass but he's not going to get some in budget

clio mk2 1.2
Thanks very much all, just to clarify should i use the crossover on the door speaker wires and run new cables to the dash tweeters from the crossover or should I just disconnect the standard tweeters and use the standard wires and forget about the crossover?
cheers

Thanks very much all, just to clarify should i use the crossover on the door speaker wires and run new cables to the dash tweeters from the crossover or should I just disconnect the standard tweeters and use the standard wires and forget about the crossover?
cheers

Don't run the tweeters with out a crossover, in fact don't run the door speakers without a crossover either unless the door speaker has a crossover built in!

if it was me i'd replace the rears with some mid bass but he's not going to get some in budget

I knew I'd kept these on my watch list for a reason! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-Pyle...d=100011&prg=1005&rk=2&rkt=5&sd=370748407609&

cheers

Personally what I did for ease is Wire the crossover in behind the glovebox, and spliced it in to the existing wires just behind the headunit. It's a lot easier than running wires through the doors, and a lot quicker, yes some may frown upon it, but it does the job and mine aren't amped so it's perfectly fine. Only splice the door speakers though and run the wiring for the tweeters straight from the crossover to the new tweeters, that way you can leave the existing wiring in for the standard tweeters.

It may be hard to figure out but once you think about it, it's easy.

Polo + Micra
it depends on the component setup some of the cheaper aftermarket sets have just a x-over (HPF) for the tweeter

it's no problem driving the full range into the door speaker but it would ruin a tweeter

it depends on the component setup some of the cheaper aftermarket sets have just a x-over (HPF) for the tweeter

it's no problem driving the full range into the door speaker but it would ruin a tweeter

The ones I have only run the HPF to the tweeters so it's fine. To be honest I didn't think about the ones that run it to the door speakers as well.

To the OP, if you get components that run the crossover to both the door AND tweeter, ignore the way I did mine.

clio mk2 1.2
Don't run the tweeters with out a crossover, in fact don't run the door speakers without a crossover either unless the door speaker has a crossover built in!
okay thanks, would you recommend locating the original tweeter wires and from speaker wires and cutting them and putting the speaker wires from the radio into the crossover then the original front speaker wires to the front speakers from the crossover and then the tweeter wires from the crossover to the tweeters ? Or do they have built in crossovers cos there not shown on the picture

thanks

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JBL-GT5-5...26496&afsrc=1&clk_rvr_id=516142774681&afsrc=1

You need to go from the back of the headunit > crossover, then crossover > Tweeter and crossover > door speaker

Crossover in question, you can see the outputs and inputs. I wouldn't run either the tweeters or door speakers without this.

gt5-500c-tweeter.jpg

clio mk2 1.2
You need to go from the back of the headunit > crossover, then crossover > Tweeter and crossover > door speaker

Crossover in question, you can see the outputs and inputs. I wouldn't run either the tweeters or door speakers without this.

gt5-500c-tweeter.jpg

​Thats great thank you for the help everyone

No problem, where do you live. If you're anywhere close to me I can help.

Dashboard off is a very easy job (guide in the guides section). Getting the cable to the doors is a little harder but not in possible. Mounting the tweeters is easy.

Here's mine;

23qxtgm.jpg

Renault even give you a convenient place to put the old plug so it doesn't rattle (just under the speaker)

Polo + Micra

gt5-500c-tweeter.jpg

that's the thing not all comps are like that. some just have a HPF for the tweeter

clio mk2 1.2
No problem, where do you live. If you're anywhere close to me I can help.

Dashboard off is a very easy job (guide in the guides section). Getting the cable to the doors is a little harder but not in possible. Mounting the tweeters is easy.

Here's mine;

23qxtgm.jpg

Renault even give you a convenient place to put the old plug so it doesn't rattle (just under the speaker)
That's great cheers, should be able to manage just needed the basics before i take anything apart, cheers for the offer tho

clio mk2 1.2
These wouldn't really suitable for the rear as there's nowhere to mount the tweeter! Go on to page one and look for the bass speakers that l33th3tr33 posted!
I was thinking I could make a bracket for the tweeter in the 2 grills at the back next to the parcel shelf? And I don't really need bass because I've got a 12inch sub in the boot

I was thinking I could make a bracket for the tweeter in the 2 grills at the back next to the parcel shelf? And I don't really need bass because I've got a 12inch sub in the boot

You'll think that but you need mid bass to get a decent sound, trust me on this! Also, I find a 10" sub more bearable and less of a thunderbox. Just sayin'.

clio mk2 1.2
You'll think that but you need mid bass to get a decent sound, trust me on this! Also, I find a 10" sub more bearable and less of a thunderbox. Just sayin'.
Okay cheers. Yeh and me but it was a really good price only cost me £25 I have nearly all of the way down, just want good sound rather than mega bass

Okay cheers. Yeh and me but it was a really good price only cost me £25 I have nearly all of the way down, just want good sound rather than mega bass

Same as me then, decent set of components up front, mid bass in the rear and a small and/or not very powerful sub in the boot.

clio mk2 1.2
hi, i brought a set of jb gt5 500c but even though they are 120w with 40 rms the distort at high volume using my 50w x 4 phillims radio, any one know why ? ive tried a diferent radio 4 x 45w and still the same
thanks