ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Are loud Exhausts on a 172/182 Chavvy?

M2 Competition
Everyone else thinks you're chavvy, whereas cs owners only think you're chavvy if you fit a bodykit/ non renault wheels.

53 Clio's & counting
ultimately if you want a faster car then changing the exhaust is usually nessesary, and with that you will get a louder noise

but its kinda become compulsary to do as one of the first things when modifying a car, iv only got a louder system on mine because mine broke and it was half the price of a new system from renault

vers le haut doigt milieu
nope loud loud is propper chavy, I wanted it to be quite when ideling and loud enough to to hear each note my engine makes. I have a cat back powerflow system, I didn't have a centre cection and it was far too loud, put it in and it was perfect.

Clio182, Mini Cooper 1275
If you have the lump to match the noise then its not chavy in my opinion, and most people on here wont buy a new exhaust purly for the noise. I have always had original mini coopers and the first thing to do is put a straight through on it, even the older enthusiasts appreciated it. its the way they should sound. saying that if my new milltek sounds half a loud as my cooper im in trouble, that thing sets off car alarms wherever i go but i love it all the same! hmm 182 lump in my mini . . .dont think thats been done

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Hated my yozzasport exhast, was fecking awesome when in the mood but just pissed me off the other 90% of the time. I personally don't want a loud car unless it's play car, but anyone who's not interested in cars will find any lound car "chavvy"

182 RB FF
Hated my yozzasport exhast, was fecking awesome when in the mood but just pissed me off the other 90% of the time. I personally don't want a loud car unless it's play car, but anyone who's not interested in cars will find any lound car "chavvy"

Want to order mine within the next month. Why did it annoy you so much? did you not check it out first?

I don't do many motorway miles so I think it will be fine, just loved the sound of it.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Think i should say wasnt the exhaust it was me, was my first none standard exhuast. If you actually like loud exhaust i'd buy one, i'll pm some vids of it if you want.

P.S was the 172 one not 182.

BMW M5 & E36
I like mine personally. I didn't buy it for anyone else and I rarely have anyone else in the car. Probably seems 'chavvy' to most but I'm not bothered. Oh, and i got it when the standard system fell off.

Next stop - decat!

Having had a Meganne Coupe with an F7R engine with no cat and no baffles in my box, that was loud, in fact far too loud, but big flames came out the back! Even when I see/hear another car with a stupid loud exhaust I think to myself that guy must have no friends as there is no way in hell anyone can have a conversation in that car and there for he may as well be a chav that no one likes. But its just my opinion as I've had some silly loud exhausts and I am as cool as a cucumber wearing aviators and a driving veryon, but with my Clio I want people to see it before they hear it as it looks proper cool for a Clio.

p.s all of what I said goes out the window when you drive through a tunnel with the window down.

Lionel Richie
its very hard to make one that doesn't! the only one we didn't was the stealth system virtually the same noise as standard exhaust, but i don't think we had that available at the time when you got yours, you could've just swapped for the stealth backbox

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Don't get my wrong i loved it, but didn't when i was stuck in traffic and just wanted to get home, if i was after a aftermarket "louder" exhaust yozzasport would be it.

its very hard to make one that doesn't! the only one we didn't was the stealth system virtually the same noise as standard exhaust, but i don't think we had that available at the time when you got yours, you could've just swapped for the stealth backbox

I had a YS stealth backbox on mine (2.5" up to the backbox including a decat). I really quite liked it, was quite quiet driving normally and the noise increased when you pressed the loud pedal :D It was just a shame the backbox kept on breaking :(

Last edited:
  RS 172
I like my loud exhaust, but then i could be a chav!! Don't see the point in them if it's on something that just makes loads of noise and doesn't go anywhere!!

Supersprint race system on my 172 was immense. Loud as hell but doesnt bother me. When the OE one falls off of my 182 I'll be getting something similarly free flowing and loud.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Mine's 106db. Measured it at work.

I love it.

Straight through, pretty much, just back-boxes. Decat too.

PH1 172 Sport
I dont think they are chavy as long as the noise is coming from a car that means business not the local chav's 1.1 corsa. Though if its a daily driver I do think there is a fine line between whats bearable and whats going to make you want to puncture your eardrums with cocktail sticks!! Unfortunately most aftermarket exhuast's make the most noise at motorway speeds which is just annoying!

Ahh, chances are they wont test you as they only really bother with cars that sound loud when on idle, but not good to drive over there and get turned away.

Static Low
loud exhausts really annoy people and certainly are generally looked at as chavy.

it really bugs me when a car is crawling along at like 5mph and its pure roaring.

with speed / going up the rev limiter should come good sound not just a constant grumble etcc

1998 BMW e46 323i
My new exhaust is too loud for me, it's not subtle to be driving like a tit and have everyone hearing me coming down the road. Horses for courses. I'm going back next month to have mine quietened down:

http://www.vimeo.com/2256373

If it sounded like the r32 that blasted past me on the m62 slip road yesterday I wouldn't complain, but I don't think a four pot will ever sound that great.

RS RIP
i do'nt like 'em . Quiet on idle and regular traffic and a bit of a roar when hitting it is okay.

I remember when i bought my cup , it had the Simota carbon aeroform (open airfilter). Whenever overtaking someone in regular traffic i was ashamed to press the throttle too deep because it was just an embarrasing noise.

Back to exhausts.. open filters are rated the same by me :quiet: