ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Are 172's rear suspension fully dependent? If so, why need rear anti roll bar?

172 ph1
172's rear suspension fully dependent? If so, why the need for a rear anti roll bar?

Hoping to hear from those of you with a better technical understanding of the rear of the Clio 1*2...

The first time I saw my car jacked up, I was quite shocked to see that the rear seemed to be fully dependent. I also did not notice a rear anti roll bar (perhaps I did not look carefully enough).

I take as reference a picture from Yozza's blog:
100-0022_img_2-300x225.jpg

It seemed like the 2 rear wheels were attached to a H shaped frame (think of a horizontally stretched out H) at the H's feet, and the 2 tops of the H frame were attached to the chassis. From what I could see, both wheels must move up and down simultaneously by the same amount, making them fully depedent.

If this is the case, then I don't see why there would be the need for a rear anti roll bar kit such as the one from Whiteline http://www.balancemotorsport.co.uk/products.asp?recnumber=58832, or the need for rear strut braces.

I'm guessing that the rear is not fully dependent but somehow semi independent? If that's the case can someone briefly explain how that's achieved? :eek:

Last edited:
  172 cup
there not independent there on a beam which isnt very strong. It felxi's quite a lot, which is what I assume the whiteline kit helps. The one on the trophy is re-enforced

"Navy" N17 TWO
What does the Whiteline ARB kit claim to achieve?

Read some good reports about it on here last week but for the life of me I can't mind what it was meant to do lol :eek:

172 ph1
What does the Whiteline ARB kit claim to achieve?

Read some good reports about it on here last week but for the life of me I can't mind what it was meant to do lol :eek:
Well I know that if a car had fully independent rear suspension (like the Ford Focus, new Minis, BMWs, etc), a stiffer rear anti roll bar would make it easier to rotate - better turn in, among other things

I was confused as to why that would also be the case for the Clio if the rear suspension is fully dependent (in effect, same as having an extremely oversized rear anti roll bar)

172 ph1
From the last alignment I know my rear wheels are still pointed not out of alignment, but the suspension is very worn, and there's a lot more body roll than is normal for a 172, I'm in the process of replacing all the bushings, springs, and dampers, but I'm also wondering whether the old rear beam is flexing a lot more than a newer one...

172 cup
depends how hard its been driven and on what kind of roads. See what its like after doing all of what you said then decide

172 ph1
Get ur old beam strengthened!!!
hmm, that might be a good idea
depends how hard its been driven and on what kind of roads. See what its like after doing all of what you said then decide
Cool. Well garage work hours are a lot too, so if I can find it for cheap I might just change it just to be sure.

Is it the same rear frame on all Clio 2s (besides the Trophy)? Or do the 1*2s have a stronger rear frame compared to regular Clio 2s? :eek:

Lots of Alfas
The rear suspension is semi-independent, the rear trailing arm is designed to flex a little. The rear axles are the same on all Clios 2s except on the 182 where they thickened the roll bar and strengthened the bit around the shocks and the springs.

Lionel Richie
torsion beam (note NOT torsion bar) ie the rear ARB works in the same way a torsion bar does (in simple terms)

the whiteline rear ARB works well, i tested it for a magazine a while back

PS - who's that sexy beast under that trophy? ;)

172 ph1
The rear suspension is semi-independent, the rear trailing arm is designed to flex a little. The rear axles are the same on all Clios 2s except on the 182 where they thickened the roll bar and strengthened the bit around the shocks and the springs.
thanks for clearing that up! :D

torsion beam (note NOT torsion bar) ie the rear ARB works in the same way a torsion bar does (in simple terms)

the whiteline rear ARB works well, i tested it for a magazine a while back

PS - who's that sexy beast under that trophy? ;)
cool, I'll try to find out how a torsion beam works :)

no idea who that is... yozza?