ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Apex 40mm Springs....Worth Buying??

C3 Picasso Beast
Hi All...

Considering buying a set of the above from someone on here but know nothing really about suspension so looking for advice! Basically would they be worth putting on my ph2 172 and what positives/negetives would I get from fitting them?? Like I say don't know nothing about this kind of thing but as I understand these would make my car 4cm lower right so does anyone have any pics handy they could put up/link to of a ph2 172 or 182 with these on so I can get an idea of what impact they'd have on my car visually? Also the springs I'm looking to buy have covered 3-5k miles so just wondering if this is alot or nothing for springs?? Finally might sound dumb but would these make my wheels rub on the arches...my car has cup turinis with eagle F1s??

Thanks in advance for any help :cool:

I think they give the perfect ride height, visually. They have a terrible reputation on here, although I imagine a lot of it is word of mouth rather than personal experience.

172 Cup
Ride height is spot on mate. The ride quality is fine, at the end of the day their not coilovers. I bought mine new and I was over the moon as the stance of the car was great and the handling was fine.

Buy them, I'm sure you wont regret it.

Fabia VRS Special Ed
They're sound for me mate, ride height is awesome, it handles very well. Only downside is that it is very firm, you feel a lot of bumps that you wouldn't have with your standard springs.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
terrible reputation?? i've always considered apex to be one of only 2 choices from comments on here! the other being eibach sportlines, but i just got the first set were avaiable. i've had em on both of mine and they're spot on.

if i had the money i'd get coilovers obviously, but these are the best option 2.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
banter. yeah sorry mate wasn't bein all 'cliosport police force' on ya.
i've not seen any bad reviews on em myself - apart from banter from eibach sportline owners.

they won't get any recommendation by lotus, but a great value for money inprovement on handling and looks im my view. if you can accomodate a harsher ride.

LOL no need to apologise for anything. I have no experience of them, but I have 'heard' many many people on here say that they're rubbish. It's not my opinion, just passing on the information innit.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I've had them on 2 of my 172's and i'd not buy them again.

Drive fast down a bumpy country lane and you'll see what I mean. If you don't bump-steer into a field.

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
I had -40mm Apex springs on my cup, i thought they were good untill i bought Sportlines!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I had -40mm Apex springs on my cup, i thought they were good untill i bought Sportlines!

Same here. I thought mine were just a typical lowered car. Then I bought a cup with Sportlines and the difference was night and day!

Not got a car
I like mine, they are a little more bumpy than standard but it doesnt bother me, They make it all up with the looks and no body roll.

Mine

100_1232.jpg

100_1241.jpg

100_1240.jpg

Last edited:

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
WTF???

Where has this car been hiding? That looks bloody gorgeous!

There's no denying they do offer the perfect ride height. Looks awesome in those pics. Balanced arch gaps and no 'broken spring' look at all. Saying that, from what people are saying, I get the feeling they're more about show than go. I suppose it depends on the driver's priorities. Not everyone is a b-road monster.

EDIT: Daniel, I thought you hated Inferno? Liquid Yellow for men IIRC.

C3 Picasso Beast
Drive fast down a bumpy country lane and you'll see what I mean. If you don't bump-steer into a field.

The above quote has put me off buying these now as I'd say about 80% of my driving is on country roads and is often at speeds some would consider "fast"! By fast what sort of speeds are you talking exactly mate?? Also might sound thick but what do you mean by bump steer??

Oh yeah and also forgot to mention it earlier but how do the apex cope with speed bumps etc and would I be rubbing my splitter on them all the time (the speed bumps that is...)??

On the topic of the Sportlines then are these better then the apex springs and how exactly are they better?? Anything bad about them or anyone got pics handy of a 172/182 with them fitted??

Thanks for all help so far and anymore to come ;)

Last edited:

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Bump steer means that say your driving down a country lane at 60mph, you hit a hump in the road, the springs are too shorto for the shocks and the shocks bottom out. The car then leaves the tarmac and moves across the road by a good foot!

I hated them as I do lots of country lane driving.

Eibach sportlines only offer a 20mm drop but are far far far superior.

*edit, Roy m'boy, I like inferno!

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
sportlines are 30mm Daniel, prolines are 15-20mm. The problem with Apex is, they are very very crashy.

C3 Picasso Beast
I think you've swayed me towards the sportlines now Daniel seeing how you do lots of country lane driving like myself! It's all good people saying that the apex are good but if they don't actually drive on country roads then it's not really much help is it! Cheers for your help ;)

Take it they'd be just a straight swap then for my standard springs like the Apex ones?? Also I'm guessing there's no negetives really then about them apart from they don't lower the car as much as the apex??

bmw e92 330d '09
I live down "country lanes" as you call them...basically in the sticks with rutted potholed tarmac and a commute to work down two others that are approx 3 miles long each... before i hit a B road. Ive never had any issues of bump steer and mine is lowered Apex 60 front 40 rear...

tbh you've got to drive like a complete nugget to do that and if you know the lanes then you can ease off for those corners... its like trying to do a hairpin in 5th.... it's common sense that it is only going to end in tears... if it does then you deserved it tbh... use your head.

I love the Apex's they look great and they are firm like the others before have said but i wanted more lowness than the Eibach's could offer...

id never look back tbh... if theyre the right price and in good condition try them, the only way you'll know for yourself is to try it...

James

F56 MINI Cooper S
yep i have apex 40mm on my clio, cant fault them at all, look great and i dont find the ride harsh at all. (maybe cos im a young lad :) )

Track 172 & Golf R32
i had them on my 1.2 Dyna back in the day... Were fine nice drop not as harsh as people make out them to be on the non-sports anyway

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Funny how all the older members are slating them and the young ones are sticking up for them!

C3 Picasso Beast
Funny how all the older members are slating them and the young ones are sticking up for them!

Well I'm probably older then most who've said the apex are good so maybe it was destiny that I would prefer the sportlines instead?!?

I'm 25 by the way...

Don't bother we have just bought a 172 on Apex springs , the roads are so bad down here they have actually popped the windscreen out!! Got to get the screen removed and refitted by autoglaze at the weekend, I guess the glue might have been weak but the ride has deffo finished it off, its unbearable and this is coming from both my self (previously had a PH1 172) and another CS member that had a 182, its harder than my classic mini and thats on adjustables!
Sportlines are being ordered tommorrow!

PH1 V6
Apex do a Shocks and Springs set for £280

Does anyone know if these would be any good? etc

Im unsure whether to buy sportlines and keep them on standard 172 shocks or whether to buy this apex kit.

Titanium Clio 182

I've got them fitted.
They're harsh, but pretty much how I expected them to be. I don't particularly regret putting them on.
And I'm over 40. sshh... :)

320d
Apex do a Shocks and Springs set for £280

Does anyone know if these would be any good? etc

Im unsure whether to buy sportlines and keep them on standard 172 shocks or whether to buy this apex kit.

I'd rather have KTR Coilies tbh.

Re the OP: I can't comment on apex to drive. They look good though.

I have Eibach Sportlines on my 172 and I have got to say i'm extremely impressed with them. Offer a subtle but noticable drop too.

RS200 Cup
Previous owner said she had Spax fitted at 35mm drop/corner, which I think are a similar kind of product. They are quite harsh imo, they seem good enough for a blast on most roads, potholes still make me cringe.

They make me slow right down for speed bumps as the car really seems to milk it. It can be funny making everybody else slow right down then shooting off. lol

I'd rather have KTR Coilies tbh.

Have you driven these, or were you being sarcastic?

They look interesting as they have all the features of high-end coilovers that I want at £2~300 less:

-Height adjustment for corner weighting
-Camber
-'Twin spring' progressive design

Other than KTR, I'm stuck between FK & KW

The KW's are pushing it on price a bit but I believe you get what you pay for. I also fear that the KW's don't lower enough, yet the FK's lower too much, I'm looking at 20~30mm F&R.

Edit: Just noticed the Weitec kit is about the right height and owned by KW, but doesn't have camber. :mad:

I'm leaning toward FK.

Last edited:
  Evo 8 MR
Not worth buying imo, I had them on my dynamique and I will never buy them again, I left them on as I couldn't be bothered removing them nor justify the spend for anything better.

They are far too harsh and have practically zero travel.

Peugeot 306 D Turbo
I have these on my new 182 I picked up 2 weeks ago.
Definitely the worst thing about the car.
Just realised they were apex today when I crawled under to take a look.

The car looks great on them, very good look but if I hit anything deeper than a drain or manhole it crashes so badly the cd player skips. It feels bad for the car plus it actually stops me putting my foot down, have to drive so gently... oh and I'm 23, so I suppose GETTING old..

rstuned 182ff bg
nice 1 thats just put me off apex for good, i bought a set 40mm a few week ago but not got around to getting them fitted, i'm glad to, coz that would of been good £££ down the pann, so there going on ebay, and i think a new set of sportlines will be on there way,ive got cup sus anyway,so just want a subtle look 20-30mm will do me nicely,

Ph1
Iv ran Apex / Koni on the Clio for about 7 or 8 years now. Not too hard for me and love the stance. Appreciate Eibach would probably give a better ride but then the car wouldnt sit as good. Depends what your after

Black Clio GT
cheapeer springs wont be progressivly wound so will be crashy on standard dampers compared to the higher end of the market (h&r/eibach).
if you buy a full kit then they match the spring rate to the shocks so you wont get the car bouncing about as much, the only probs with that is that a decent suspension kit is the same price as cheap arse coilovers which leaves you with the question do you want a fixed ride height or do you want to playabout with it??!!

Listerine & Poledo
surely if you're goiong to lower your ride hight you need firmer shocks to compensate anyway? Just banging short springs onto OEM shocks will just end up with "bump steer".

in which case, of course moving from a mongrel set-up to a full package of coilovers will change things markedly for the better.

Westy. MX5
If the Apex are cheap then give them a go, springs are easy to change yourself. If you dont like them then change them again to something else.
If you haven't done this job before allow 5 hours to change 4 springs, 2nd. time round you'll be doing them in 2 hours.