ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

anyone here upgraded from 182 to 197?

Ford Focus ST2
I am thinking of upgrading my 182 for a 197 just wanted to know is the 197 any better for long motorway trips (like 200 +).

Dont get me wrong i dont have a problem with the 182 just a little bit high revs.

Also does anyone feel that the 197 has more space? I am wanting a sport but we are thinking of starting a family next year and dont know if the 197 is baby friendly?

Thanks
Rob

Ly meg R26
i traded in my 182 for a 197 a couples weeks ago, i love it, dont regret it at all, its a bigger car so it has more space, you driven 1 yet?

Ford Focus ST2
no but i would like too, may go for a test drive soon, what is the 197 like on the motorway?

do you feel its the same is the 182 power wise? is the 5k kick still there and do you feel it like the 182?

Ly meg R26
its fine on the motorway, it has 6 gears, drop it in to 5th and away you go, power wise it feels stronger and just keeps pulling, cant notice any kick, but it defo feels faster, thats my opinion anyway

i have to admit i dont know how i feel about changing my ff clio 182 to the 197, i guess if was able to have another go in a 182 would make mind up, the 197 is bigger but i preferred my 182 interior, powerwise the 197 can certainly move but my own view is i think the 182 handled better, maybe its not having cup chasis etc this time i am noticing, also think the 182 looked more agressive

Scirocco GT 210
The 197's 6th gear is even shorter than the 182's 5th - it's no good on the motorway if you want to keep revs down.

Not the car to buy if you're worried about revs on the motorway IMO. Not what it's designed for at all.

Turbo LY R27
I went from a 182 to a r27. I do alot of motorway miles and i am gettin 350 easily per tank! I got 380 last week! Mine has the old gearbox as well. Powerwise mine feels more powerful then the 182 and you do notice the 5k kick, its on 15k now and runs very nice and filled with vpower. I dont find it anymore expesive to run than the 182. Worthy upgarde and no rattles lol:)

Thats my view.

Swift Sport
I traded my 182 for a 197 and yes it is a much better car and more spacious, however - I agree that despite six gears it's still way too revvy on the motorway (I've heard the new gearbox is better).

The 197 is not as economical as the 182 either, but then again it's a bigger car with more power.

Having said that, I love the 197 and I've never looked back since... and yes, they feel much better built - no squeaks or rattles!

....yet ;)

Golf 7R
i have to admit i dont know how i feel about changing my ff clio 182 to the 197, i guess if was able to have another go in a 182 would make mind up, the 197 is bigger but i preferred my 182 interior, powerwise the 197 can certainly move but my own view is i think the 182 handled better, maybe its not having cup chasis etc this time i am noticing, also think the 182 looked more agressive

Let me get this right... You prefer the interior of the 182, firstly PMSL secondly you think the 182 looks more aggresive... double PMSL!

Chelsea tractor
The 197's 6th gear is even shorter than the 182's 5th - it's no good on the motorway if you want to keep revs down.

Not the car to buy if you're worried about revs on the motorway IMO. Not what it's designed for at all.
Think the new ones have a longer 6th iirc

Let me get this right... You prefer the interior of the 182, firstly PMSL secondly you think the 182 looks more aggresive... double PMSL!

yup i do! preferred the leather/alcantra interior and the layout of dash, 182 looked more agressive from rear with exhausts on display...my own view glad made you laugh

Scirocco GT 210
They've made 6th gear slightly longer in the newer 197s yes. However it's still shorter than the 182's 5th.

There are plenty of good things going for the 197, but pounding the motorway isn't one of them.

White clique
i did the upgrade, like people have pointed out you wont get much more economy, but the refinement is better, and its a generally better, more solid build which adds to the comfort.
If it stick it on cruise control on a motorway at say 65 its fine, but after 80 it gets too noisy.
definitely more room especially headroom.

Ford Focus ST2
i dont use the car the much on motorways but prob 2 - 3 times a year we go from london to glasgow and back!

Just wanting a little more room, more comfort and to have a nice fast car!!

Can you get the 197 non cup in LY?

Black Clio 182+cups
sorry, haven't done the upgrade so can't comment on 197, but after a chat with john barker, it is his opinion that the 182 does the whole old school hot hatch thing much better and that the 197 is no faster. he advised against the upgrade.

having said that though, the interior is bigger and nicer in the 197 and build quality is a noticable improvement. being more comfortable and about as fast as the 182, the 197 would be the logical choice, but if you need the space and can live with the same dodgy build quality from the older generation renaults then how about an r26?

btw i think the LY was only for the r27, unless someone can say otherwise

Cooper S
Okay, here is my view;

I had a 182 with Cup Packs for about a year, a few months away whilst I had a company car and then I bought a 197. A few characteristics would lead you to feel that you were driving different generations of the same car, but on the wole I think they simply have to be viewed as exactly that "different."

I do not regret going for a 197 rather than another 182 at all, I am not saying it is better, it is as said above just different. There is more space, imo the dash is far superior, despite not having half leather the seats are far more comfortable and more stylish and the build quality is a reasonable improvement.

I drove another 182 recently and tbh, it was still very impressive, but for what I use the car for i.e daily commute and weekend fun I think the 197 suits me better.

Have a test drive and see what you think Rob!

BTW - I use mine on the motorway everyday and despite it still being very revvy, it feels alot happier on the motorway than my 182 imo, so I wouldn't wory about that.

Ford Focus ST2
Okay, here is my view;

I had a 182 with Cup Packs for about a year, a few months away whilst I had a company car and then I bought a 197. A few characteristics would lead you to feel that you were driving different generations of the same car, but on the wole I think they simply have to be viewed as exactly that "different."

I do not regret going for a 197 rather than another 182 at all, I am not saying it is better, it is as said above just different. There is more space, imo the dash is far superior, despite not having half leather the seats are far more comfortable and more stylish and the build quality is a reasonable improvement.

I drove another 182 recently and tbh, it was still very impressive, but for what I use the car for i.e daily commute and weekend fun I think the 197 suits me better.

Have a test drive and see what you think Rob!

BTW - I use mine on the motorway everyday and despite it still being very revvy, it feels alot happier on the motorway than my 182 imo, so I wouldn't wory about that.

and what MPG do you get out of it? normal driving in the 182 at about 70 - 80 i can get around 38mpg is that the same for your 197?

Mondeo TDCI 130
PM 197gaz, he went from a cup, to a 182, to a 197! Didnt rate the 182 after the cup, loves the 197!

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
LY was only available on the R27s, to get the longer 5th and 6th gears you need one built after 10th October '07 (or any Cup). No hot hatch is built for pounding the motorway. I prefer the shorter box myself - makes 5th and 6th more usable for accelerating, feels more suited to the engine, which loves to be revved. And even though it's revving relatively hard - it's not loud in there or intrusive at all - despite what some people who have never driven one will tell you heh :) I did a 140 mile round trip the other day, Leeds and back from home, filled up with V-Power a couple of miles from home and when I got back I'd done 32mpg - that's about 130miles of A road/Dual carriageway at 80/85 (and a few 30/40 zones on the A64 before the DC) and 5 miles each way of getting through Leeds.

So, hot hatch, class leading brakes/handling, 200ps/197bhp so very nearly 100bhp/litre, 60 in under 7 seconds and 130mph+, along with aircon which was on all day, lots of electric toys, keyless entry and it STILL manages 32mpg. I'd say that was very acceptable :) The fact the 182 5th gear ratio is longer than the 6th on the 197 maybe shows the 197 is a more focussed hot hatch ;) Also, if you have a 182 sat behind you at 70 in top and you both nail it you'll pull away with your shorter ratios hehe! (Dunno if that's true, was just a joke)

These are the differences, taken from Clio197.net -

old gearbox vs new gearbox
1st = 5.19mph/1000rpm - 1st = 5.18mph/1000rpm
2nd = 8.48mph/1000rpm - 2nd = 8.46mph/1000rpm
3rd = 11.14mph/1000rpm - 3rd = 11.11mph/1000rpm
4th = 13.70mph/1000rpm - 4th = 13.66mph/1000rpm
5th = 16.09mph/1000rpm - 5th = 17.00mph/1000rpm
6th = 18.94mph/1000rpm - 6th = 20.36mph/1000rpm
top speed 134mph@ 7074rpm - top speed 139mph@ 6827rpm
speeds in gears at 7250rpm (full power)
old vs new
1st = 37.62mph - 1st = 37.55mph
2nd = 61.48mph - 2nd = 61.33mph
3rd = 80.76mph - 3rd = 80.54mph
4th = 99.32mph - 4th = 99.03mph
5th = 116.65mph - 5th = 123.25mph
6th = 137.31mph - 6th = 147.61mph
revs at road speeds
old vs new
50mph = 2639rpm - = 2455rpm
60mph = 3167rpm - = 2946rpm
70mph = 3695rpm - = 3438rpm
80mph = 4223rpm - = 3929rpm
90mph = 4751rpm - = 4420rpm

So, if you feel that's a big enough difference for you, look for a newish one, if you don't, find a 2nd hand R27, so you have the Cup chassis/Recaros and you can have LY if you want :) All just IMHO, but I don't think you'd regret it - I think the interior is LEAGUES ahead of the 182, no rattles, better materials, feels much more special, it's much quieter on the road (dispire the revs) in there as well. Then if you go for it in the 197, and are at full throttle revving all the way to over 7,000rpm it sounds awesome, the engine begs to be revved hard and sounds good will it - I often felt a 172 was gonna explode much over 5,500rpm where the power is hehe! Stereo is much better too heh - I have the MP3 headunit, not sure if it's standard on the R27 or not but it's quite good for a factory head unit - got the tunepoint in now for my ipod as well :)

Dan

Turbo LY R27
Well said. I think the whole fuel consumption debate is rubbish. I got no more miles out of my 182 than i do in my R27! I know the tank is 5 litres more but for the extra wieght etc, it does a good job. Find the power much more usable in normal road use as well with the shorter ratios.

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
And of course, something I forgot to suggest, go test drive one. But make sure you have at least 20 mins or so, make sure it gets properly warmed up so you can feel the full benefit :) You might love it and need one, but you might hate it and find it's not for you!

Dan

Cooper S
I get about 33mpg if I cruise at 70 mph mate. It is slightly more thirsty than the 182 but not to the extent that you will cry yourself to sleep each night!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
PM 197gaz, he went from a cup, to a 182, to a 197! Didnt rate the 182 after the cup, loves the 197!

Indeed!!! That said, a trip back to a 172 cup, or maybe Trophy wouldnt bother me one bit!!!!

Renault Clio 172 Ph2
i had a 182, but actually switched from a 172ph1 to a 197. I liked everything about the 197 more except the pre 3000rpm pull and the buzzy high revs on the motorway. i understand they raised the ratios on 4th and 5th now a bit, only like 1mph per 1k rpm though.

That aside, interiors miles better, refinement is better, its comfier, i prefered the handling to my ph1 172 (id say close to the 182 tbh, but was a few cars between so hard to remember). they look sweet as well, especially after a nice wash!

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
Longest final drive gear is on the ph1 172, which does about 3,200RPM @70mph. Compared to 197 box which I believe does about 3,750 RPM?

cock mobile.
but if you need the space and can live with the same dodgy build quality from the older generation renaults then how about an r26?

Build quality on R26 is the same as the 197, ie much better than the Mk2 Clio.

Suzuki Swift Sport
The build quality is brilliant for a renault, however I still have exhaust problems on my 197 (knocking noise from around the diffuser area) although its only a minor niggle!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
i had a 182, but actually switched from a 172ph1 to a 197. I liked everything about the 197 more except the pre 3000rpm pull and the buzzy high revs on the motorway. i understand they raised the ratios on 4th and 5th now a bit, only like 1mph per 1k rpm though.

That aside, interiors miles better, refinement is better, its comfier, i prefered the handling to my ph1 172 (id say close to the 182 tbh, but was a few cars between so hard to remember). they look sweet as well, especially after a nice wash!

This always intrigues me when driving different cars and whether or not this actually matters at all to me? I did a round trip (again) today from Blackburn to Wirral and back, in a works Mazda 6 TDi. It's miles more comfier than my 182, coasts along on the motorway with hardly any effort and has plenty of torque (even in 6th) for overtaking.

On top of that, the dash it littered with switches, dials and buttons that I keep finding new features with. God knows how many pages the user guide is - lol.

Its a great car. But it's drab. Again, the S3 I drove was a great car. It's performance whupped the ass of my 182 without effort, but its was drab. It was however, comfy, had a better interior and certainly had a better level of refinement.

Yet the Tommi Mak I drove felt like a four-seater tractor. You needed a power-lifters left leg to use the clutch - the dash looked like it belonged to the late-80s - the seats were ok-ish but it was hardly the last word in refinement, etc.

But the drive - bloody hell - the way it felt to drive, was amazing. It almost 'challenged' you (if that's the right word?) to see if you were capable of driving it properly. Everything else became secondary to me - the headroom, my seating position, my aching left leg, the sideboard of a spoiler that hampered my rear view - it was almost like I forgave it for everything else because as a car it was just so good to pilot.

Whether or not I'd feel the same if I had a VI as a day-to-day driver, I don't know. But one thing I DO know - is that I don't think I'll ever pick a car based on comfort, refinement or being more modern than its predecessor.

I think most people would blow their retirement money on a well-equipped Mercedes. Something to waft them along from the local golf club out to that nice little country pub. Me on the other hand, would rather spunk that cash on a bobby-basic Caterham and head for those hills - whatever the weather. ;)

Sorry - thread hijack there. :quiet:

D.