ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anyone got a BT Home Hub?

Audi TT 225
Or "Hoe Hub" as Im now calling it! :clown:

I got it last wednesday, went for the Option 3 with all the bells, seemed fine at first. It was very easy to set up and secure out of the box which was good. I have 3 wireless PC's on it, 2 hard wired and a wireless 360 which all worked fine. The internet phone also worked pretty well, bit crackly some times but mostly it was ok.

Since then its gradually started resetting its self, now I cant hold a connection for more than 10 mins some times! :mad:
Also the internet phone wont work its engaged if you call it and it wont make calls. Cant unregister the handset, cant re-register it so thats pretty useless. Even if I could make a call it would probably reset its self while I was on the phone...

So I called the tech support for a laugh (I actually work for BT and Im quite technical so it gives me a giggle), after 40+ mins on the phone with the indians still no joy, covered everything from the hub, PC setups, to the power socket. The fob off's didn't work they tried blaming my electrical outlet briefly LOL
Apparently electrical disturbance on the line can cause it to re-sync and find a better speed.... Whats next solar flare's are affecting my broadband?
They tried updating the firmware but the app wouldn't work on vista so I tried it on XP and it just says "cant find the hub lol"

Eventually they said they would send a new hub after just 5 days of having it....

I was impressed with it for about 2 days now I just want to throw the damn thing out of the window and plug in my old netgear router instead!!!

Im just wondering if anyone else had any similar experiences with hoe hubs?

dk

911 GTS Cab
i have one and the phone thingy but i still use my dlink wireless router.

until i find a real need to go to the wireless hub or my dlink one breaks i'm not going to replace a fully working one, so i don't have much experience with it tbh.

I know I was losing connection a few times last night though. ON the whole BT are very good for BB though, i am also on option 3.

M135i
yup, as said, mine was ok for a couple of days. i didnt have the phone on it. after few days it wouldnt hold connection on my wireless laptop and was even worse on wireless PC. wanted to throw it in the middle of the M1, usless pile of sh1te. ive just stuck my Belkin back in the wall now and havnt had ANY problems what so ever. the hoe hub was free so i thought why not?

Audi TT 225
Yeah any other ISP is just a customer of BT so I'd rather get it from the source ;)
The reason I wanted the opt3 was the free evening and weekend calls and it all sounded very good on paper. I moved house so had to go wireless because of the size of the place and my netgears hardwired.

As a provider BT are good, but I think the hub hardware is pretty crap so far... the joys of the lowest bidding manufacturer no doubt...

Really can't complain about mine, but then I had so much trouble with my old voyager that I appreciate a server that doesn't freeze my computer. Although I have not used anything wireless yet as the computer is connected via ethernet. I have option 3 as well for the phone calls and my home hub phone seems to work okay, although I had a call today from someone claiming that my daughter had given them the number, which is b*ll*cks as she doesn't even know what the number is. So are BT passing this info out to other businesses. If so does anyone know how to make this number ex directory.

Renault Clio 16v
my hoe hub , sometimes it will just not allow me to get on the internet yet msn and internet raido still works :S i have t ounplug it the plug it back in to actually surf

I haven't got 1 but set 1 up for someone once. Worked fine then the next day it wouldn't connect. BT sent a new one out and that has been fine since.

Renault Clio, 216 Tomcat
had one and wont advise any one to get one..dont let u file share on them either which is crap.. same for any one goin for a smc router they have the same probs as the hoe hub.

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
The first one they sent me, spent a week trying to get it to work with the wireless printer and stuff, kept on dropping wifi connections and not allowing the pc's to see each other, then it killed itself and died and won't even power on, after speaking to indians everyday that week, they send a replacement, works perfectly, got 4 wireless machines on it, wireless printer, the extra free phone thing works on it, its great when you get a working one. i found agood site ont he internet called little home or something, that tells you how ot telnet into the hub and give yourself admin rights to it, now the control panel for the hub has so many more features, its great.

F1 - R26
had one and wont advise any one to get one..dont let u file share on them either which is crap.. same for any one goin for a smc router they have the same probs as the hoe hub.

It does do file sharing....I use bearshare and bit torrent with no problems and good speeds, you need to enable port forwarding then all will work.

Never had any problems with mine, just make sure you update the firmware....also VOIP works like a dream as well.........

Audi TT 225
Well hopefully my new hub will work, my IP phone can ring out, its engaged if you dial in or my normal landline rings instead lol.

Talking about the firmware, mine came with 6.1.1.R which isn't the latest version, the manual update application wont find the hub so I cant update it.

When it works I can do bit torrent and p2p no probs, and I think the installer disables file sharing so you need to re-enable it on your PC.

Clio200 EDC Lux
Yeah I have had one for nearly a year now, great peice of kit. Phone work a treat, also had BT Vision installed last week the supplies tv of demand etc via the hub.

Fred if you have reset the hub you need to setup the broadband voice again for it to work www.bt.com/bbv

Audi TT 225
You need at least 4mb to comfortably use the BT Vision, Ive heard bad things about the quality of servie. Personally I dont like the fact that my internet connection would be hogged and throttled down every time I turn on the TV so thanks but I would prefer to have sky for the TV and leave my connection free.

Munday

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182, 1275GT, C220
This thread is worrying me a little. Finally got broadband after about 6 years of trying (live in the sticks) and are having our home hub delivered today! :(

F1 - R26
Well hopefully my new hub will work, my IP phone can ring out, its engaged if you dial in or my normal landline rings instead lol.

Talking about the firmware, mine came with 6.1.1.R which isn't the latest version, the manual update application wont find the hub so I cant update it.

When it works I can do bit torrent and p2p no probs, and I think the installer disables file sharing so you need to re-enable it on your PC.

Installer???, please don't tell me you have installed the BT crap that came on the supplied Cd.......if so get rid now.....you don't need any of the rubbish:nono:

You can also select which phones rings etc from the hub settings

Clio200 EDC Lux
You need at least 4mb to comfortably use the BT Vision, Ive heard bad things about the quality of servie. Personally I dont like the fact that my internet connection would be hogged and throttled down every time I turn on the TV so thanks but I would prefer to have sky for the TV and leave my connection free.

The video on demand is outstanding, watched a movie over the weekend didn't stutter etc once, quality is a good as normal tv. The bandwith only gets hogged when you are watching vod programs, but that's irrrelvant to me as I am either watching tv or on my pc.

There is a good selection of program etc to watch: (as of end of feb)
Films 164
Tv 442
Kids 131
Music Vids 229
Docs/Concerts 53

Not bad seeing is hasn't been out a few months.

Fabia vRS
personally for me i would never bother with on demand stuff. i have newsgroup access and if i wanna watch something i'll just download it from there.

Audi TT 225
Installer???, please don't tell me you have installed the BT crap that came on the supplied Cd.......if so get rid now.....you don't need any of the rubbish:nono:

You can also select which phones rings etc from the hub settings

No not that bunk I never install ISP CD's LOL
Theres a manual firmware installer on the CD called UpdateHH or something but that wouldn't work either.

Fabia vRS
i tried to reply to richmcc's comment earlier but for some reason i can only post 5 posts per day, so ollie posted on my behalf to tell him to stop chatting sh1t ;)

even bt broadband have to buy their services from bt wholesale. bt broadband do not get priority for anything, you can thank ofcom for that :)

Audi TT 225
I think most stuff is moving to Openreach, Im not sure if thats just the big business stuff. Its nuts, BT set up another company called Openreach, and BT go to openreach as a customer.... I think!
Correct all exchanges are BT's.
Your talking about EOI compliance which is a lot of the work Im doing at the moment. I deal with all the WES, BES, LES stuff etc. Well I dont deal with it much I built the system which stores all the data about em and a bit more.

http://www.openreach.co.uk/

Wouldn't it be nice to have a 10 gig service into your house :D
0 ping lol

Last edited:
  Fabia vRS
no, openreach is the engineering section of BT.

bt wholesale are the part of bt that provision services and investigate faults.

Audi TT 225
I really should read those spam mails they keep filling my inbox with.
Its all still BT anyway same people doing same jobs lol

Actually no thats not quite right I dont think. BT sells products and so does Openreach.
Ofcom made BT set up this other company so that BT is technically just another provider same as other rivals and they both go to openreach for the services.
Thanks thats right but Wholesale used to do all that stuff until recently hence the EOI stuff.

Last edited:

Munday

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182, 1275GT, C220
Got my home hub yesterday, and my line activated but broadband doesnt work - doh! Looks like we need a visit from an engineer! :(