ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anyone ever made a front splitter?

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Theres a guy posting pics on facebook of a black 172 track car with a bright orange splitter. I think i seen a comment saying he made it himself.

Theres a guy posting pics on facebook of a black 172 track car with a bright orange splitter. I think i seen a comment saying he made it himself.

12567522743_c6b270c687_c.jpg

Yeah he did make it himself mate.

e92 m3
I made my own carbon/kevlar splitter, it runs directly arch to arch underneath but doesn't protrude out like the one above.

It has made a positive difference to how planted the car feels above 100 jelly beans, much more stable.

e92 m3
Have you got any pics of it rob?

See picture below, the subframe tensions it across the car by pushing it down slightly, it doesn't weigh very much at all. I've paired it up with some home made carbon arch liners too. (Front sections only).

IMAG0740.jpg

Only picture I could find sorry...

clio 172
Hey yer the black bin wagon is mine, im sure iv some piccys il dig out.mines attached onto two existing holes on the sub frame

Clio 172 (CUP)
They look good, its close to becoming a how to article for the members section ;-)

Any chance you could recommend the gauge and dimensions of the material you used, and where you sourced it, and also the hangers?

Are there additional fixings underneath, a pic would be great?

Cheers

Megane r26
All well and good and looks like a couple of good quality pieces of kit but do you really benefit on track with either of these? Have you carried out any lap timing with and without and noticed an average time saving across a lap?

just curious

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
All well and good and looks like a couple of good quality pieces of kit but do you really benefit on track with either of these? Have you carried out any lap timing with and without and noticed an average time saving across a lap?
There will be improvements from having something like this fitted as it reduces the amount of air flowing under the car generating lift. For it to be really effective though, it needs to fit as close as possible to the wheels (obviously allowing cut outs for full lock) and ideally be coupled to a flat floor and rear diffuser.

just curious
Bi? Lol

172, Tiguan
I've been considering one of these but not sure I'll be fixing it to the (flexible!) bumper. Needs to be fixed to the crossmember behind the bumper.

Megane r26
There will be improvements from having something like this fitted as it reduces the amount of air flowing under the car generating lift. For it to be really effective though, it needs to fit as close as possible to the wheels (obviously allowing cut outs for full lock) and ideally be coupled to a flat floor and rear diffuser.

Bi? Lol

I understand the principles behind it (discoveryHD haha) but a lot of people seem to bolt things to there motors with no real evidence how it has reduced lap times etc.

As the for the sexuality reference.... Team Mincing Racing says it all haha

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I understand the principles behind it (discoveryHD haha) but a lot of people seem to bolt things to there motors with no real evidence how it has reduced lap times etc.

As the for the sexuality reference.... Team Mincing Racing says it all haha
Doubtful as you need to test it on the same day, same track, same conditions, same consistency of driving style, etc etc.

Megane r26
Doubtful as you need to test it on the same day, same track, same conditions, same consistency of driving style, etc etc.

If I was designing such a item that would be my idea of testing.

Set a number of laps without it fitted to gain a average lap time and then same again with it fitted.

Same track, same day and same conditions fingers crossed but guess you can always rely on british weather.

This picture is so apt.

Unfortunately aero is so impossibly complicated it's barely worth guesstimating. Particularly with no satisfactory way of verifying performance.

Sufficiently accurate testing will be extremely challenging so I'm interested to see what you come up with!

Track days scream of placebo, gaining experience lap on lap, natural variation in lap time, traffic, different lines, bumps, evolving tyres, no data, better balance not necessarily outright grip etc.

Last edited:
This picture is so apt.

Unfortunately aero is so impossibly complicated it's barely worth guesstimating. Particularly with no satisfactory way of verifying performance.

Sufficiently accurate testing will be extremely challenging so I'm interested to see what you come up with!

Track days scream of placebo, gaining experience lap on lap, natural variation in lap time, traffic, different lines, bumps, evolving tyres, no data, better balance not necessarily outright grip etc.

You need a wind tunnel or use a dynamic design modeling program.

The only way to see whats going on.

Aero is worse than geo to get right

Megane r26
This picture is so apt.

This is what I would expect, as said the principles behind the idea prove that spillters, under trays, diffusers and spoilers all work but race teams and manufactures spend millions in development and design on this things.

There's clearly more to it then bolting on some plastic.

There's clearly more to it then bolting on some plastic.

It is very easy to add a splitter which to all extents and purposes looks "about right" and does increase downforce on the front axle, but actually reduces the total downforce of the vehicle because it disrupts the underbody flow which in turn disrupts the wake and the roof line flow.

Unfortunately cheap (and not great IMO) CFD seats start at £5k and being able to use/interpret it properly is something money can't buy. Well besides consultation. You know what I mean.

Oh my point entirely, I was just trying to be less defeatist/realistic to minimise the danger of being flamed :rasp: and to not appear an engineering geek by using all my longest CFD related words :rasp:

Last edited:
And this is the very reason why I'll never bother with it!

I have played with splitters diffusers and spats on my carbon westfield , yes they had a measurable effect but there are many other issues to consider , as to do it properly you want a total flat floor ,and then you get into cooling considerations.

We had the constant issue of the carbon diffuser creating downforce but pulling itself down due to mounting issues

Absolutely.

PHD/industry research is starting to get to the bottom of roll centres etc with derived maths. In the mean time (using ye olde roll centre theory lol) we can make pretty damn accurate simulations with maths/physics/equations that go all the way from the start to the answer.

Anything in aero is just giving a computer a (very clever) set of rules and getting it to approximate where every individual "piece" of air is and then go back and check every "piece of air" is in the correct place before approximating where it will 0.01 seconds later! Then repeat that till the cows come home and most importantly make lots of colourful pictures of vortices and pressure distributions to stick on the front page of your report!

On a more constructive note if you really do like DIY, it's much harder to go wrong with a basic diffuser than with a splitter. But watch out for the hot exhaust on said flat floor. You will also scream "britcar" or "time attack" if you turn up with an aluminium sheet diffuser.

Of course you could pay lots of money to have a consultation company develop a lovely optimised relatively-issue-free aero pack for your clio :rasp:

EDIT: type far too slowly these days, beaten to the flat floor comment.

Last edited:
Fortunately developing a 7 type car means less issues with exhaust as its out the side from the primaries

Home made carbon splitter

veheny2e.jpg

Temp issues that were a concern were rear diff and gearbox , even witth 2 low pressure ducts in the floor

9y4eby2a.jpg

And just because 3 different carbon weaves against the nice green of our sport 160 at the time

/Because racecar

Last edited:
  182 ff

ill just pop down to my local wind tunnel, for an hour or two ... I have a spare £100,000 lying about ha....