ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anybody else wish they'd left their car std

tiTTy & SV650
The 182 is more than quick enough for my purposes, my 205gti felt better though so some koni dampers with eibach sportlines along with no brainers like stainless zorst (for longetivity), braided lines (for longetivity) and maybe some new wheels will be fine for me.

As someone said earlier, replace the bits that wear out with better bits but don't spunk money unneccessarily on stuff IMO.

Tangoed Works
My thoughts exactly on my 182, the whole reason i bought it was because it didnt need anything doing to it. quick enough and handles well enough as standard.

Changing seats was essential imo as the standards are s**t and useless for long drives. Can make my money back anyway as I didnt pay top whack for them.

Keep for a few more years and just upgrade parts as they wear out s/s exhaust and better brakes etc. Save your dosh and get a better car.

Elise 111R
Yep just to add upon what others have said, it's all about growing up and having more financal constriants.

I spunked alot of money on my mini cooper when i was 17 and paid for it through my part time jobs but the feeling of turning up to a show was imense and was a great 2 years.

Fast forward 5 years i really dont want to do that much to my clio i bought it cause i knew little to nothing had to be done. I know in less than a year (hopefully) i'll be paying for a morgage etc so i cant or dont want to be able to afford the insurance that comes with modding.

The only thing that would be nice, would be a set of Recaro Sportline Cs seats and new (high end'ish) components for the front.

Clios look great lowered on coilovers but as someone said you need to set them up so you've got 500 quid on product and 300 (probably) on setting up thats alot for a lower look, thats if you want to do it properly and dont want to comprimise on the already very good handling of the 182.

I always think if i was to pop off the surface of the earth tommorow would i still regret any of the things i've done or purchases i've bought and as long as i still can say no, im happy, lifes unpredictable, do what you enjoy now so you dont miss out later.... (actually if the things that make you most happy, financally cripple you dont do it, you'll end up not driving the car because that 350 quid on I/k cant be spent now on petrol)

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
I wish I had left mine standard at times and I doubt I will do any more to it now. However, the only mod' I can't revert to standard is the re-map, everything else will be removed and sold.

My next car will be something along the lines of and RS4/6 although a house purchase will be taking priority.

It's something I always wanted and something I have always wanted to do so I have no regrets.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
gay ;)

I love mine, will deffo get another Cup or slower 182 ;). Best mods i've done are H&R's and recaros by a mile. Mods i didnt like, decatted pro speed = LOUD Looked mint mind and was fine untill it was decatted. Also GAZ coilovers. Now they were shite. Ruined the car imo.

MK1 V6 Lutecia / 197
Its all a waste of money.....the money you could have saved could have gone on insurance on a much better car....

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
I love my mods (lots on brakes, a little on breathing and a few quid on some extra revs).

Would I go back? Never.

Ali, you are now officially a wuss.

Catch me if you can sunshine!

jon - mine's broken once. Driveshaft clip...how many problems have you had...And don't say none coz you'd be telling fibs

John - Std vee is comfy. it's quiet until you boot it. And it's fairly gentle on the road. You know as much about cars as i know about art!

Lee - For sure, but capital plays a big part in any decision and i'm a student at the mo. thats why i'm thinking about selling too!

Nissan 350Z
If I'd kept my 182 i would have modded it to look better (splitter, new wheels, spoiler etc), to go slightly faster (remap), and to handle better (coils). Thats on top of what I had already done to the brakes and exhaust.

Instead, I did a straight swap for a car which satisfied all of those things out of the box, and saved lots of money in modifying. I am more than happy with my decision :)

Shed.
My cup's spot on, hard ride, buckets seats and 4 point harnesses that rub your neck...love it.

You think your daily runner is uncomfortable, you should see mine:

stumpy2.jpg

I used to ride bikes. Had a P2 before it got nik'd. Never did like hard tails unless they were a bmx or a jumper of any kind.

jon - mine's broken once. Driveshaft clip...how many problems have you had...And don't say none coz you'd be telling fibs

I've replaced 2 sensors causing it to cut out and run poor, also had the ECU eprom replaced FOC due to a known fault... hardly major. in 8 months I've spent about £500 to fix things which is pocket change to the £12'500+ spent on repairs alone on the Williams... so to me this is reliable... so 3 faults, 2 of which were fixed at once and the eprom issue... thats not really what I consider a problem as it was sorted pretty quickly

Maz

LY 200
Me - wish I hadnt bothered with my mods as apparently if I had kept it standard it would be sold by now !! aye !!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

I've replaced 2 sensors causing it to cut out and run poor, also had the ECU eprom replaced FOC due to a known fault... hardly major. in 8 months I've spent about £500 to fix things which is pocket change to the £12'500+ spent on repairs alone on the Williams... so to me this is reliable... so 3 faults, 2 of which were fixed at once and the eprom issue... thats not really what I consider a problem as it was sorted pretty quickly

lol...the williams has cost me more than i paid for it! It will be driven at the speed limit for the fear of it breaking.

I'm on the hunt for a v6.

ditto, mine ended up costing me around £20k over 4 years for mods and repair... irony is that mods I paid for were never actually completed either, kinda lost interest in the end even though it was being a bit more reliable... mount failed and decided to call it a day... still miss it though, it's a better drivers car than the 172 is, but I should have just bought an M3 at the time instead lol.

V6 is a okay choice, personally I'm not that into my Clio's to justify the cost to performance ratio of one, I'd need something mental as well... would go for a Megane Cup/R26 if I bought another Reno, but I'll see how far I can tune this first...

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
ditto, mine ended up costing me around £20k over 4 years for mods and repair... irony is that mods I paid for were never actually completed either, kinda lost interest in the end even though it was being a bit more reliable... mount failed and decided to call it a day... still miss it though, it's a better drivers car than the 172 is, but I should have just bought an M3 at the time instead lol.

V6 is a okay choice, personally I'm not that into my Clio's to justify the cost to performance ratio of one, I'd need something mental as well... would go for a Megane Cup/R26 if I bought another Reno, but I'll see how far I can tune this first...

But your ghey and english! ;)

R26 was a sound choice, drove one recently. Wouldn't pay 20k for it!

vee's are going for sensible mula now! But i've not got a job! :(

who the f**k you calling English!? I'd rather be French! lol

think i'll look at a Megane in a years time as a daily runabout, Vee looks nicer but I've not had a turbo before... or a V8, so both are tempting me... not getting rid of the ITB'd monster though! :D

Better than yours. C*nt.
I'm fed up now. I wish i'd stopped at wheels, springs and cup spoiler/splitter.

I'll never modify another car again! std is the way forward. Was in my Bro's R32 today, So comfy, leather seats. AC on. quiet, until you boot it and hear the milltek.

Mines loud, uncomfy, brakes don't work till their hot, idle's like a bag of s**t. it's fast...but i'm can't be bothered anymore! Anyone else feel the same or am i just getting old?

Anybody want to buy it?

I said that before I bought my last car, and again before this car.

The 182 now has a De-Cat, ITG Maxogen, will be getting a Yozzasport exhaust this month and new brakes in the weeks to follow that...

If it's in your blood, it's in your blood. You'll not lose it until a wife forces it out of you.

M

mij29

I'm fed up now. I wish i'd stopped at wheels, springs and cup spoiler/splitter.

I'll never modify another car again! std is the way forward. Was in my Bro's R32 today, So comfy, leather seats. AC on. quiet, until you boot it and hear the milltek.

Mines loud, uncomfy, brakes don't work till their hot, idle's like a bag of s**t. it's fast...but i'm can't be bothered anymore! Anyone else feel the same or am i just getting old?

Anybody want to buy it?

Had a VTS and modied it then hated it and got rid.
Left the clio alone, after all you bought because you liked it standard so why mess?

Nissan 350Z
You did a straight swap for a JDM DC2....:S There only worth about 5-6.

Aye for a 96 spec maybe, you try finding a completely mint, completely standard 98 spec JDM for £5k. Bet you cant...

I wasnt getting offered much more than £7k for my 182.

Besides, dont care, as I now have a blatantly better car. :rasp:

as soon as i painted on the speed-lines..it spiralled out of control...speed holes...speed bits...

i started to stick pieces of "go faster" plastic on the car...i was stealing for enough money to fund my craving...

stickers pimped the b**ch up...lowered it so my arse was dragging along the ground...(the way we "bad boys" like it)...

after the halfords raid, i spent 6months in the clink...

i dont regret anything...

apart from one time...but listen...i didnt know that was a "glory hole"..

MY04 Scooby STi
Im glad I have done what I have done to my 182. I love the sound of the exhaust but thats about it now.

Now the pain in the arse is now having to put everything back to standard to sell it

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
after driving my mum standard 1.2 dynamique tonight i realised that...

its faster than mine (my new engine is pish compaired to old one,wish i hadnt blew it up)
my exhausts going to make me go deaf by the time im 21
my dampers are set too hard
the 16s tramline like f**k (still waiting on wheel spacers to get my 15s back on).

last summer i had my apex-60mm kit, 4 eagle F1's on my 15s and the car handled AWESOME, now after putting £700 coilovers on it and 16s im finding that a STANDARD 1.2 16v clio is more planted?!

not sure i should comment untill ive got my 15s back on but right now my opinion is coilovers are gash and im seriously thinking about puting my apex back on.

Clio 172 mk2
I've only done the exhaust (stealth) and panel filter on my 172 so in my eyes is pretty standard anyway.

Turbos.
As someone else said, i think if you are that kind of person then you will probably do it on your next car too.

I like Lee's school of thought, but i have trouble following it. Ultimately i sold my 172 before it got out of control, because i knew it was going to.

It got to the point where i'd buy some sort of modification and after it being fitted, i'd feel guilty. The whole point was to enjoy the car more, so i decided enough was enough, and just got a better stock car. If i start to go too mental on the VX i will just sell it.