ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

any1 local have alook at my engine - it dont sound right

clio rs
I wudnt think of checking oil just after a service - anyone make out what the noise is on that video - it developed after getting the lambda sensor

Artic 182
Sounds like its blowing to me...

Low oil + VVT = oh dear

Dont panic yet. Is the oil at the right level now?

Clio 172
Hi guys, i am new to the forum. I just bought a clio 172 and i am experiencing the same problems, although when i start the car from cold, the engine sounds fine, its only when the engine gets warm that i get that awful tappety sound but goes when the revs are increased to over 1500k, can anyone help please?as i dont want to spend money i dont need to spend. Heard it could be the wrong type of oil in the car, oil deprivation?or the dephaser pulley??please help!!!

Hi guys, i am new to the forum. I just bought a clio 172 and i am experiencing the same problems, although when i start the car from cold, the engine sounds fine, its only when the engine gets warm that i get that awful tappety sound but goes when the revs are increased to over 1500k, can anyone help please?as i dont want to spend money i dont need to spend. Heard it could be the wrong type of oil in the car, oil deprivation?or the dephaser pulley??please help!!!

If the noise goes when revs are increased its most likely the dephaser.

Clio 172
Cheers mate, appreciate it, how much are they?is it worth doing the whole hog and getting the cambelt done at the same time??

Nissan 350z
Dephaser Pulley if the noise only develops once warm yes. And you have to have the belts changed to access and change the dephaser anyway so no choice in that matter :)

clio rs
my belts were changed during rebuild, does it mean if i change the pully il have to change belts again?

i called the rebuild place 2day, told them 'it had no oil and is leaking'.
his reply was ' then top it top with oil'

i got p*** off told him 'its pointless topping it up if its leaking' and making funny noises. I also told him that i think he done a s**t job.

He started going on about he does mercs & bmw's all day long.

I told him im not gonna top it up with oil, and he needs to get the car picked up, which he agreed to do so this wednesday.

im taking a day off so he better come.

Cheers mate, appreciate it, how much are they?is it worth doing the whole hog and getting the cambelt done at the same time??

Yeah, get it done at the same time as the cambelt.

They're around £140ish from Renault inc VAT at the moment, so dont let any garages rip you off if they supply it for you...

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
my belts were changed during rebuild, does it mean if i change the pully il have to change belts again?

i called the rebuild place 2day, told them 'it had no oil and is leaking'.
his reply was ' then top it top with oil'

i got p*** off told him 'its pointless topping it up if its leaking' and making funny noises. I also told him that i think he done a s**t job.

He started going on about he does mercs & bmw's all day long.

I told him im not gonna top it up with oil, and he needs to get the car picked up, which he agreed to do so this wednesday.

im taking a day off so he better come.

Top it up with oil and take it back to him.

clio rs
Im gonna let him collect it - dont see why i should do the running around in the cold.

but i have topped it up - but still gonna get them to collect it

Last edited:
  Clio 172
Thanks for all your help guys, its all booked in now and getting done on thursday, the cambelt, dephaser pulley and water pump is getting replaced and fitted for 400quid, good price??

clio rs
car was not collected today morning as promised iv written a complaints letter to the company, can someone check to see if the letter is ok before i posted it.

Essex Engines
7-10 Penhall Road,
Charlton, London,
SE7 8RX

3rd February 2010

Invoice number: 304/AHMED

Dear Customer Services Manager

On 30th September 2009 I had my Renault cliosport 172 registration RE52FCP rebuilt for the price of £1295 paid in cash.

I am disappointed because the rebuilt of the engine is faulty and is not performing as it should, it’s currently making gridding and knocking noises, and leaking oil.
After checking oil level on the dipstick, it was complete dry, the company had serviced it just 2 weeks ago prior to this.

I have tried contacting the company several times which they agreed to collect the car and solve the problem but after taking several days off work to solve this matter, no one that come to collect the car. This has become very frustrating, and has caused a lot of distress.

Under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 I demand the problems to be resolved, or willing to take the car to a professional to complete the work and send you the bill, whilst reserving my right to claim against you. Enclosed are copies of your warranty.

I look forward to hearing from you and to a resolution of this problem by 10th February 2010. I will wait for you response before seeking help from Trading Standards and the small claims court. Please contact me at the above email address or by phone.

Yours sincerely

Moazzum Ahmed
Enclosures copies of Warranty

Black Gold Trophy
If I'm honest, I always struggle to understand your posts...but I'm doing my best here!

All I can say is a newly rebuilt engine will sometimes burn more oil than usuall prior to being fully run in.
I can't really pick anything out in the video, you will always get a bit of a tapping noise regardless of rebuilds etc.
If you were less hostile to the garage and just put some oil in and drove the car down to them they would feel more inclined to help you.

LY R26 230 F1 Team
Being arsey in a letter will only annoy a trader.

Request something is fixed, dont demand and imply your knowladge of a subject don't state - especially if your not 100% up on the subject matter.

Also dont make threats in your first letter? make it seem as though they are doing you a favor that you will be eternally greatfull for.

SQ5
Probably would of been good, if you'd got a 5 or 6 year old to proof read it for spelling and grammar mistakes.

200 cup & 106 GTi
Nobody has mentioned that he only paid £1295 for a "rebuild".

Quite what that rebuild consists of i don't know?! As a decent garage would charge that sort of price just to remove the engine, disassemble and inspect it. Receipt for rebuild on one of my cars is over £4k, incidentally the car is still going fine 90k since rebuild, albeit with an oil leak now lol

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
Go see them, a garage wont send a letter back to you. Well most of the garages I know wouldn't anyway, it'd be straight in the bin.