ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another R53 Mini Cooper S

MCS 2003
Have had a 15% pulley (Cranes) colder plugs and a shorter belt done so far as well as a few other bits and a stage 2 remap - brakes are another thing as they are not terribly inspiring as standard - have ordered Mintex discs - standard mintex pads for rear and 1144's for front - lets see how that works - sometimes grooved and cross drilled discs etc take longer to warm up and make a lot of noise - I really only drive in and around SW London so it should be ok - also put some polly bushes on it to sharpen up the front end

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Mintex discs - standard mintex pads for rear and 1144's for front
Personally, id cancel the order, i had 1144's all round on the standard setup on my first grey mini, was still poop.
Just upgrade to R56S on the front, even with standard discs/pads they are a million times better than the OEM stuff, like the clio's, the rears do 9/10 of bugger all, so just lease them standard, ie pagid from ECP.

MCS 2003
I will give them a go as I rarely tack cars and its only for SW London - quick heat up is good - I think it may be a bit of trial and error here - and hey its only money

Clio 197 RB
R56S brakes are now on the car.
R56S Calipers
Brembo Discs
JCW Pads
HEL brake Lines
Dot 4 fluid.

Car now brakes so much better, very pleased. Any of you guys with Mini's on here thinking about this mod, I highly recommend it.

Unfortunately I lost the light this evening but will try and get some pics when I can.

Next up is the 15% pulley and Milltek exhaust.

Bloody love this little car.

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Have you got a link to the discs and pads?

Pulley and exhaust are what I've got on mine! :up:

Clio 197 RB
Found a second hand Milltek Non-Res cat back system and possibly some JCW side skirts. Collecting end of the month.

Will also be fitting the Hobo airbox mod. So should be a nice quick little car by the end of the month.

Clio 197 RB
The Milltek is now on, as are the JCW side skirts. Car is looking and sounding so much better now.
The 15% pulley is being fitted tomorrow and hopefully I will have enough daylight to clean and take some photos of it.
The Milltek is awesome. It's the Non-Res version and it burbles and pops so much.

Clio 197 RB
Pulley now done after I had to postpone the fitting. Feels so much better now. Best upgrade. Need to have a dyno run now to find out what power she is making.

I'll second that. They seem to be very very decent cars for the money, and I can keep my Turini's for one :grin:
Never realised Turinis fitted, guessing they're the same PCD?

I just like the idea of something similar to the 182, which feels slightly better made and easier to get power from - my main concern is that I doubt one running at 210/220bhp (reduced pulley, intercooler, cold air feed) will actually be that much quicker than a 182?

Skoda Fabia VRS
Never realised Turinis fitted, guessing they're the same PCD?

I just like the idea of something similar to the 182, which feels slightly better made and easier to get power from - my main concern is that I doubt one running at 210/220bhp (reduced pulley, intercooler, cold air feed) will actually be that much quicker than a 182?
Don't quote me on it, but I'm sure they are.. @Sir_Dave will know!
We think very very much alike! I need a comparison/bit of inside information from some guys who've ran both cars.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Don't quote me on it, but I'm sure they are.. @Sir_Dave will know!
We think very very much alike! I need a comparison/bit of inside information from some guys who've ran both cars.
Yeah, they are the same PCD as the clio and a very similar offset, so the 16" Clio Turinis are a good fit, especially useful as they are cheap on here, but expensive on Minitorque :tongueclosed: Inter forum trading FTW lol.

Re: comparisons, i did one here: The Flamers replacement - Mini Cooper S

Yes mate. I love it. It is such a good little car.
The small mods that I have done definitely make the car so much better and would recommend them.

I couldn't see myself going back to a Clio now.
Good to hear! I really do fancy one, but only concern is that it's more of a sideways step then an upgrade compared to the Clio

Now you've got your reduced pulley fitted - how does it compare to the Clio speed wise when pushing on?

I'm hudt hoping it would be a noticeable difference from a 182 in terms of power,as you should be looking at an extra 40bhp or so extra at the fly (17% reduced pulley, intercooler, CAI).

A lad I'm friends with also has the catcams fitted and a few other mods and he's pushing 245bbp, with a 0-60 time of 5.5secs which doesn't seem too shabby

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I'm glad to read people are enjoying theirs. I still can't use mine and it's getting to the point that I'm concerned that I've made a mistake! Hopefully once I'm using it I'll like it.

Clio 197 RB
Good to hear! I really do fancy one, but only concern is that it's more of a sideways step then an upgrade compared to the Clio

Now you've got your reduced pulley fitted - how does it compare to the Clio speed wise when pushing on?

I'm hudt hoping it would be a noticeable difference from a 182 in terms of power,as you should be looking at an extra 40bhp or so extra at the fly (17% reduced pulley, intercooler, CAI).

A lad I'm friends with also has the catcams fitted and a few other mods and he's pushing 245bbp, with a 0-60 time of 5.5secs which doesn't seem too shabby

It is noticeably quicker with the reduced pulley. I had a little play with a 2008 Focus ST last week. And I got about 1-2 car lengths away from him.

The quality of the car is so much better than the Clio.

Peugeot 308
My 2006 made 211bhp at the fly with an Oranje Airbox and 15% pulley.

It went bloody well tbh and with the one-ball mod, all in it sounded great.

I wouldn't get too excited about the build quality though, the reassuring clunks or thud noise of the doors is usually followed by a rattle/creak elsewhere lol.

If I'm honest I don't mind the build quality of the Clio, but I guess I haven't had any better made cars to compare it to

I just want to make sure that the Mini was a step up performance wise (power wise mainly, I've heard the handling is similar with coilovers and decent tyres) which I'd be definitely getting a 17% pulley, intercooler and CAI, then I guess I could look at cams at a later date for that but extra

Just don't want that feeling in the back of my mind thinking 'Why did I bother changing?'...

Definitely food for thought! Cheers both

Clio 197 RB
Haven't updated in a while, have just been enjoying it.
Gave it a clean last week and took some updated pics.

24128338203_45bffd0c27_c.jpg
IMG_3802 by warren todd, on Flickr

24728942076_b94f393d59_c.jpg
IMG_3804 by warren todd, on Flickr

24755157395_c5fbbc12b9_c.jpg
IMG_3803 by warren todd, on Flickr

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Don't often see the Aero skirts without the front bumper... but it definitely works! Will hopefully get my hands on some one day :)

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
By the way... do you have JCW brakes? I've been told that they're the only ones that come in red on the R53s. Mine are red... but I can't seen any JCW branding on them.

Clio 197 RB
By the way... do you have JCW brakes? I've been told that they're the only ones that come in red on the R53s. Mine are red... but I can't seen any JCW branding on them.

I believe mine are the R56S brakes. They have been painted red, I don't think they are that colour standard.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Sorry if I've overlooked this but have you changed the springs? Looks like it has loads of rake and could do with either lowering a bit more at the back or raising at the front. May just be the pics though.

Clio 197 RB
Sorry if I've overlooked this but have you changed the springs? Looks like it has loads of rake and could do with either lowering a bit more at the back or raising at the front. May just be the pics though.
Everything suspension wise is standard. Hasn't been changed since I got it.
Needs a wheel alignment and geometry done!

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I believe mine are the R56S brakes. They have been painted red, I don't think they are that colour standard.

I believe the R53 JCW brakes (red) and R56 MCS (silver) brakes are the same. As you say, may just have been painted... mine too perhaps :)