ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

R53 Cooper S

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Full spec here:

Basically, it’s fast, loud, angry. I’m loving it. Very different to my previous one, really gets going over 4k.

Sorted the slightly oxidised headlights, and fitted a shift extension (which I’ll pair with a short shift at some point).

Few niggles to sort, the key fob remote doesn’t work (think it’s the receiver) and the heater doesn’t work.

But it’s ace. Up at 430 this morning, 3hrs chasing sunrise on some brilliant b roads. Kept an a110 company for a bit, and a new 911 gts.

IMG_0556.jpeg
IMG_0557.jpeg
IMG_0558.jpeg
IMG_0552.jpeg
IMG_0559.jpeg

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Ooof, that's a bit embarassing, sorry fella.

I'd never tried to use the heater. Probably be the heater matrix is blocked up, "they all do that sir".

I thought I put the remote key in the advert... but I put it in the previous advert which I pulled. The guy I bought it off replaced the remote module but didn't get it coded - or that's what he told me at least. I just used the key, because remote locking is for the weak, but again it should have been in the ad.

200.gif

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200

I'd never tried to use the heater. Probably be the heater matrix is blocked up, "they all do that sir".

I thought I put the remote key in the advert... but I put it in the previous advert which I pulled. The guy I bought it off replaced the remote module but didn't get it coded - or that's what he told me at least. I just used the key, because remote locking is for the weak, but again it should have been in the ad.

View attachment 1657089
Mate, it wasn’t a dig at you! It’s a 20yr old car, niggles are part and parcel!

I’m more than happy with it, done 120miles today for no reason at all😂

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
lovely purchase Mr Bear. I really wanted it myself. Looked insane VFM given the recent work it had.

320d
Long time no see Warren, hope you are well mate.

I’ve got an R53 as well, key fob doesn’t work and I had the heater matrix changed last year when I bought it 🤣

They’re great fun though. I’ve done one track day in mine so far and have another booked with @JamesBryan in November.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6

View attachment 1657089

Bad, BAD seller 😂😂

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
I’ve only ever driven a standard mini cooper and that was fun. I bet the S is a right hoot!! 😎👍

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
It really is a little belter, and you can do so much to them to make them better too, I was thinking about some hardrace control arms…… Go on…. You know you want to…..

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
It really is a little belter, and you can do so much to them to make them better too, I was thinking about some hardrace control arms…… Go on…. You know you want to…..
Going to get a track day done, and see what could be improved. I imagine I’ll leave the engine well alone!

Might book Castle Combe on the 9th

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Just done Anglesey in mine and it survived just fine.

My top list of mods before next track day (if I don't sell it before hand):
  • Brake cooling ducts
  • Better front pads (blue stuff don't cut it on the R56 brakes ime)
  • Better tyres, although the old NS-2R's were better than expected, will try AR-1's me thinks.
  • Bucket seat, standard seats are a bit w**k and you (and passenger) get chucked about a lot!
  • Blackline diff.
I run on Millers 10w-50 for track as oil temps are understandably high after a few laps, good to have the Torque app to monitor inlet air temps too.

Brake cooling ducts are very cheap and worth while before you go, the rest (other than maybe oil) you could just see how you get on. But brakes absolutely spoil a good day, mine was a 5 lap car, so come in and cool off after 5 laps because brakes and tyres were a bit too hot.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I was a big big fan of the NS2R’s - mainly because of the price vs performance but I agree, they get too hot too quickly.

Very surprised how much power yours had @Touring_Rob - torque for days!!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Just done Anglesey in mine and it survived just fine.

My top list of mods before next track day (if I don't sell it before hand):
  • Brake cooling ducts
  • Better front pads (blue stuff don't cut it on the R56 brakes ime)
  • Better tyres, although the old NS-2R's were better than expected, will try AR-1's me thinks.
  • Bucket seat, standard seats are a bit w**k and you (and passenger) get chucked about a lot!
  • Blackline diff.
I run on Millers 10w-50 for track as oil temps are understandably high after a few laps, good to have the Torque app to monitor inlet air temps too.

Brake cooling ducts are very cheap and worth while before you go, the rest (other than maybe oil) you could just see how you get on. But brakes absolutely spoil a good day, mine was a 5 lap car, so come in and cool off after 5 laps because brakes and tyres were a bit too hot.
It’s on yoko track tyres, has ducts fitted and a set of track pads on the boot!

Standard seats do lack support, but cg lock definitely helps.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Early run through Oxfordshire.
IMG_0730.jpeg

Heater matrix replacement booked, just need to find someone to have a go at coding the key/receiver.

Having one weird issue, there’s a long but tight left hand turn that I use once in a while. This thing has lots of grip, and as I come off the corner and try and accelerate, for a second or two the engine just doesn’t respond. No power at all. Fuel surge perhaps?

@Sir_Dave have you had anything similar on the dozens of R53’s you’ve run?

RSRowe

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250 Cup
Brake cooling ducts
👀

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Early run through Oxfordshire. View attachment 1660091
Heater matrix replacement booked, just need to find someone to have a go at coding the key/receiver.

Having one weird issue, there’s a long but tight left hand turn that I use once in a while. This thing has lots of grip, and as I come off the corner and try and accelerate, for a second or two the engine just doesn’t respond. No power at all. Fuel surge perhaps?

I had some issues with my key on one of mine and genuinely can’t remember how I resolved. I’ll rack my brain and come back to you.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Early run through Oxfordshire. View attachment 1660091

Try with traction control turned off.