ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another .:R Owner - New Daily

53 Clio's & counting
Thanks Russ, i did get a 10% discount which i was happy with. Supposedly they are not meant to offer discounts on Rs.

I was really surprised that my dealer said there is no running in period! I'm going to enforce one anyway.

Maybe i'll search for some tuners nearer your way and make a day of it.

Sounds a plan mate :)

You're right, there is no running in period, if you want to give it a bit of a run in, then just keep the revs down, but lots of load both on and off throttle.

Oh and the whole 4wd rocco thing, from the stuff VW was saying when under production, the 4wd system would have cut the interior and boot space down too much, plus the 4wd didn't suit the engine/body charitistics - apparently lol

Turbos.
Thanks everyone.

Interesting to hear about the Rocco and the lack of 4WD. Did notice that my mates Mk5 Golf had a deeper boot, is that down to the haldex then or is the Mk6 boot just shallower? Still, fitted in a massive TV today no probs. Also went to the dump yesterday so it is has been an unglamorous start for the Golf, but then it is delivering on its 'all rounder' status.

Loving the Recaros (alcantara middles have stopped me getting a sweaty back!) but am worried about the backs of them as they are shiny plastic, will surely mark easy...

53 Clio's & counting
Is there actually no running period?!

Nope, tolerances are very good on VW's and the quicker ones tend to be the ones that are 'exersized' from new lol

Thanks everyone.

Interesting to hear about the Rocco and the lack of 4WD. Did notice that my mates Mk5 Golf had a deeper boot, is that down to the haldex then or is the Mk6 boot just shallower? Still, fitted in a massive TV today no probs. Also went to the dump yesterday so it is has been an unglamorous start for the Golf, but then it is delivering on its 'all rounder' status.

Loving the Recaros (alcantara middles have stopped me getting a sweaty back!) but am worried about the backs of them as they are shiny plastic, will surely mark easy...

Iv not compared the two mate, but id lean towards it being shallower due to the heldex

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Russ could you pop into the Scirroco R thread and give us some thoughts on the Dsg box and any problems, mechatronic etc?

A few folk wondering.

320d
Hero spec, I'd be devastated about the lack of cruise control though.

Those seats though, wow.

Golf R is certainly a car I'd consider in the future.

Turbos.
I thought cruise was for reps, not a dedicated hardcore bunch of hot hatch enthusiasts ;)

Quick snap from the weekend, still not picked up the DSLR!

Img_0526.jpg

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Looks well that. Personally for me, the used market is far too good at the moment to warrant the outlay on a new example!

Turbos.
I looked for a second hand example Danny but the specs just weren't right. I found one with Recaros but it was in white and being sold 'for a friend' so i walked away from it. All the ex-demo cars have a limit of how many options are allowed to specified by dealers, so in the end buying new was the only way to satisfy my fussy tastes!

Hopefully fuel economy will improve as it gets run, as its shocking at the moment! I have been doing about 75mph on motorways, with a little bit of town driving for my commute and averaging 26mpg at the moment. Bit of a difference to the Golf TDI i have borrowed for the last few months!

Trophy #490
They're great looking cars! Very understated, but so much better for it I reckon as they just ooze class.

53 Clio's & counting
I looked for a second hand example Danny but the specs just weren't right. I found one with Recaros but it was in white and being sold 'for a friend' so i walked away from it. All the ex-demo cars have a limit of how many options are allowed to specified by dealers, so in the end buying new was the only way to satisfy my fussy tastes!

Hopefully fuel economy will improve as it gets run, as its shocking at the moment! I have been doing about 75mph on motorways, with a little bit of town driving for my commute and averaging 26mpg at the moment. Bit of a difference to the Golf TDI i have borrowed for the last few months!

Once it's loosened up Rob it will get better, they get better mpg if you run them on super too.

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
That's on par with my R32, Rob.

I averaged 34.7 on a 41 mile motorway run last week at an average speed of 52mph LOL!!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R

Fair play to you then, someone has to buy new! :eek:

It is a lovley example, i dont know why but for some reason i love the 5 door's more than the 3 door's? Goes for all fast Golf's for me!

Turbos.
I live in Blackheath and commute to West Malling, near Maidstone.

Yeah, hoping economy will improve, its more the range that is the issue as i pass barely any petrol stations on the commute.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
What are VW forums like for recent fast VW's? I know theres obviously 'scene' based forums, but are there forums dedicated to people who dont throw nitromors on the bonnet then leave it in the rain for a month lol?

Turbos.
There is rforum.co.uk which is pretty lacking in members to be of much use, otherwise a VWVortex sub-forum which has a massive US bias. But, there are lots of members so lots of useful info inbetween the typical s**t. There is also GolfMk6.com, which again has a sub-forum for the hotter models.

What are VW forums like for recent fast VW's? I know theres obviously 'scene' based forums, but are there forums dedicated to people who dont throw nitromors on the bonnet then leave it in the rain for a month lol?

mk5golfgti.co.uk and r32oc.com are good.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
You'd be better off on the TTOC forum for any engine issues. Really busy forum and plenty of knowledge.

Stick to the scene forums for body and mods. Quick a popular car aswell surprised the forums aren't busier.

Turbos.
Did some cleaning today. Really enjoying the car so far, only downsides are economy (and consequent range) and the Recaros not sliding forward when being tilted for rear access. Fortunately, i have my fuel paid for and i don't have kids!

photo25.jpg

photo5.jpg

photo18.jpg

photo17.jpg

photo16.jpg

photo15.jpg

photo22.jpg

photo23.jpg

photo4.jpg

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
It's simply epic! It really is some machine! The all round package is superb! Those pictures really capture it well. What's happening with the 997?

Did you ever look at the S3 Rob? Big differences?

Turbos.
Not sure about the 997 at the moment mate...

Haven't drive the S3 so can't comment, but here is the view of someone who owns both cars:

"The R seems to have quite a bit more road/tyre noise and a more intrusive exhaust sound so there's a fair amount of drama to ours when you wind it up, it also doesn't feel as fast (70 in the golf doesn't feel as fast as 70 in the Audi). The S just does the same with no real increase in noise. On long journeys (2 - 3 hours) the noise inside the golf can get a bit wearing whereas the same journey in the S is a pretty relaxing affair.

Its swings and roundabouts really, if I had to let one of them go it would be the S3 as we could easily get an older mildy fast car for day to day duties for a lot less. I'm attached to the R much more than I ever was the R32. "

Looks are no contest, in my humble opinion...

DSC_1020.jpg

DSC_1036.jpg

DSC_1032.jpg

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Lols! Definitely no contest!

I never thought they would make an exhaust intrusive enough, especially not in a Golf. Hardly their market. I'd be gutted if it had no sound right enough, you need some drama.

That S3 looks a bit normal, a bit pony.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I was fortunate enough to get a passenger ride in an RS3 a few weeks ago, simply savage. Its had MTM work done and circa 450+bhp, that just sounds mental..

I adore sportbacks now, i dont think i could own an S3 in 3 door form!

MINI FJCW
Lovely car mate, looks stunning and excellently specced. As for the S3 debate, for all your paying, exterior wise it does nothing for me, easily mistaken for an A3 TDI. Whereas the .:R is a much better all round package IMO.

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Wait a min.. those pictures on the back of the seats are they saying not to use the harness holes for.. harnesses? :S

Turbos.
Yeah, imagine that is to avoid litigation issues. Lets face it, most harnesses are fitted incorrectly.

The noise is not exhaust drone, the car has a sound amplifier to boost the bassier notes into the cabin! It is an Audi part, actually from the RS4! To be fair, it makes the car sound great, but does mean it is always there (hence 'drone'). Will take mine out when i've added an exhaust/remap.