ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another problem....iMac this time.

Apple is not turning out to be the most reliable products I've ever owned. I'm on my 3rd iPhone now, and 4th MBP.

Now I have a problem with my iMac. Since a couple of days ago, there's a loud buzzing sound coming from the top left of the display. I've done a bit of googling, and I've seen many other people with the same problem....but I've not really establish what the cause is. Some say it's the power supply.

It gets quieter the dimmer the display is, so that to me says something power related.

Now I can of course ring customer support etc.....BUT....I have an SSD fitted (which wasn't a shitty Apple fitted one) and a different 2TD HDD. But it was fitted by a AASP, so it keeps the warranty.

I'll call up tomorrow, but can anyone guess what will happen with trying to return the computer with my own HDDs in?

Go cry to your momma!
I'm not sure about the iMac but with MBPs they allow you to swap the HDD and RAM out with no ill effect on the warranty.

The problem you're having sounds like the backlight inverter.

Do Apple stores do that kind of fitting?

I'd prefer to take the iMac to an Apple store, rather than sending it away for replacement....as I'll have no track of it and anything can happen.

At least in store they can replace the HDDs into the new iMac for me.

Ah FFS!!

Picked up the iMac yesterday evening after work, after they'd 'fixed' it (they said they replaced the display PCB or something like that)...

Turned it on just now......AND IT'S DOING IT AGAIN!!

So that will have to be another 200 mile (in total) trip to drop it off to fix again, then pick it up.

Not happy :(

RIP Dan
You have Bully's luck.

Never buy anything again, thats what I suggest.

Everything I get is fcuked, or fcuks up just after guarantee.

I just presume everything I buy is fcuked now and I will have to take it back, anything else is a bonus.

Well the warranty runs out in 2014! So I hope it gets sorted by then lol!

To be fair, their customer service has been exceptional.....but it's an exceptional service to something that I wish wouldn't happen in the first place!

As it's costing me a lot (in time too) to keep going down to Bristol, I have to get at least some compensation back for this. Getting ridiculous now.

RIP Dan
If you are going to Bristol surely you should get a hidden camera rigged up and go and ask Daniel for "best cash price"

Would make your trips more worthwhile.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Make sure you ask for goodwill once it is resolved.

No help to the issue in hand I know.

Bus w**ker
Dan, just so you know, I returned my iMac the day after I received it and got a replacement delivered the next day. Actually I currently still have the defective one too as TNT has only just bothered to organise collecting it, even though they also dropped off the replacement :S. Don't know if this will be of help to you though, as mine hasn't been spec'd from standard.

The complication I have is I have a custom SSD and HDD in it, so I can't just send it back....as I'll probably never see either of them again!

Off to Bristol AGAIN after work tomorrow.

Yeh rang the store earlier.

They're certainly not going to replace the whole thing if they can repair (or not) a single small part on it.