ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another Harness/Seat mounting question

First up, this isn't about mounting shoulder straps to rear seat belt points - they will be wrapped to the harness bar on the SD cage. But thanks to the spine savers who checked.

I'm going to run 6 point sparco harnesses. I'm happy with the shoulder straps and intend to use an M10 eye bolt for the outside lap belt point. What I'm not sure on is the inside lap belt point and the crotch straps.

For the inside lap belt point I was thinking of using an M8 eye bolt to mount the seat subframe down and then attaching to that. But, I haven't found any decent looking M8 eyebolts of suitable length, plus I wasn't sure if it was a good idea to load the bolt in crash with both seat and harness loads? So is a UNF eyelet and spreader plate a better option? If so where to put it? Side of the 'transmission tunnel'?

For the crotch straps I'd planned spreaders/eyebolts but the harness doesn't have clips, just straight straps like the shoulder straps. I don't have anything to wrap them around. Should I just buy something like:

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/Sparco-Harness-Snap-In-Clip-Competition

Then use spreaders/eyebolts?

Any comments/pictures/suggestions welcome!

Thanks

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
If I get time I'll upload some pics of where and how I've mounted mine tomorrow. Please though, don't use m8 eyelets mate. If they break you may as well not be wearing a harness. For a harness to work properly in the event of a mishap it all needs to be held secure and worn tight.

I don't mean that to sound condescending either mate, so please don't take it that way. There's certain measurements that need to be adhered to when mounting them as well.
I've got schroth harnesses in mine and they came with fitting instructions, so see if you can find some that are specific to the ones your going to use.

Thanks, that's exactly the sort of response I'm looking for. Like I said I already had my concerns with using them - M8 bolts off the list! I'll go for spreader plates with 7/16 eye bolts. The M10 outboard mounting point is considered OK though? I'll have a look for some sparco mounting instructions.

On my 5 points I drilled two holes in the transmission tunnel and put spreader plates behind with M10 eye bolts and used the existing sill points for the outside fixing.

Lap wise - a hole beneath, again with a spreader plate underneath.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
@MattJB follow the link and have a good read.

http://www.msar.co.uk/pdf/UsersGuideRacingHarness.pdf

This is the schroth guide for installation. Take note of the dimensions for the distances between the lap belt mounting points.

If you've got any questions or want any pics give me a shout.

In fact, @Cub. @Sunglasses_Ron @jesus could you make a sticky with the link in it for others to have for future reference? Mounting harnesses is a bit of a grey area and an incorrectly mounted harness will happily f**k your day up.
If you could make a sticky I'd appreciate it. :smile:

Thanks for all the responses.

@NorthloopCup that is a fantastic pdf! Also can't believe I've never stumbled across MSAR, that's basically a one stop shop for the fitting bits I need.

My Google skills must be way worse than I thought to have missed them both.

There's plenty of bed time reading for me and that answers all my questions I think. If you have some pictures of the fittings welded in, particularly the tunnel location, that would be great. But only if you have some to hand as I don't think I need them now, more just curiosity. Will unfortunately be a while before I get round to doing all this too.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Thanks for all the responses.

@NorthloopCup that is a fantastic pdf! Also can't believe I've never stumbled across MSAR, that's basically a one stop shop for the fitting bits I need.

My Google skills must be way worse than I thought to have missed them both.

There's plenty of bed time reading for me and that answers all my questions I think. If you have some pictures of the fittings welded in, particularly the tunnel location, that would be great. But only if you have some to hand as I don't think I need them now, more just curiosity. Will unfortunately be a while before I get round to doing all this too.
No worries mate. Glad to help tbh. Regards the pics - yeah not a problem I'll get some taken and uploaded for you. I'll tag you when they're up. I have welded in seat tubes in my car and I also have nothing secured into the tunnel for the harnesses mate.

SchwepTek™
Any chance someone could post photos of the inner (tunnel) mounting points as I need to be drilling them in soon.

Also are there any spreader plates that fit without needing to be cut down for the tunnel?

Thanks

Any chance someone could post photos of the inner (tunnel) mounting points as I need to be drilling them in soon.

Also are there any spreader plates that fit without needing to be cut down for the tunnel?

Thanks

you're best sticking to the 40mm ones imo, mot and scrutineering may pick up smaller ones, I think 40mm is minimum in the blue book too

SchwepTek™
I can get you some pics tomorrow mate, just done mine last weekend.

We had to use 55mm plates but bend them a bit for the tunnel so that they conform to the shape of the tunnel.

That would be awesome dude. Don't suppose you took a pic of the bent plate? ;)

Or did you bend it in situ?

SchwepTek™
I guess those go on top of the subframe with a washer on top of that?

I think the MSA guide and scrutineering say that it's best to have separate fixings for seats and harnesses.

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
On both sides?

1 per seat for the inside lap mount, I mounted the other side via eye bolt in pre existing hole.

I guess those go on top of the subframe with a washer on top of that?

I think the MSA guide and scrutineering say that it's best to have separate fixings for seats and harnesses.

Yeah on top of the subframe. I'm sure eyebolts would be better but for normal track use this does the job without drilling any holes.

I got some smaller spreader plates from @markfishy which he recommends for use in the tunnel (it's double skinned there) and for anti submarine straps. He does a lot of race cars and said it isn't a problem at scrutineering. I'll try to grab some pictures.

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
Would you mind grabbing a quick pic?

19914304051_0e5f96403b_z.jpg

19901703142_1091884699_z.jpg

And the other side is attached here:

19901701032_eab37d0e09_z.jpg

SchwepTek™
Nice. I like that, just not sure how strong it would be in a crash with pressure from the harness and seat. Did you use a standard M8 bolt or 7/16 unf?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Nice. I like that, just not sure how strong it would be in a crash with pressure from the harness and seat. Did you use a standard M8 bolt or 7/16 unf?

It looks like an M8 12.9 high tensile socket cap bolt, so it should be strong enough. Although I do prefer to mount the seat and belt mounting seperately.

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah 12.9 the bolts are. I think maybe in the long run I'll switch to eye bolts to keep everything in line, I'd say these are more than safe enough just now though.

SchwepTek™
Agreed for the other mounting points but thought those would be better as narrower to fit in the tunnel and won't need bending etc.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Ahh yeah.

I'm not too sure, the ones I linked are perfect for Meganes as they sit in the floor just behind the seat, just drill a hole and flip them over so the nut is underneath and weld in.