ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

another cup being fiddled with

182 trophy
hello all

So, from the start... I bought my 172 cup back in 2009. its a 53 reg and at the time had only 27k on the clock with full service history, this made it an attractive buy and I couldnt help myself. Deposit was left as soon as i saw it. The car already had a full milltek cat back on, this was a bonus although i wasnt a big fan of the tail pipes. After driving it to work and back for just over a week it became apparent that the baffles in the back box had collapsed, this made it sound fairly unwell. I ended up just getting a custom backbox made, this was an immeddiate improvement in the way it sounded :). being younger at the time i thought that a laguna splitter and white stickers would be the way forward...

So unfortunately for the poor car it looked like this for the first year :S

031.jpg

032-1.jpg

... I know lol not the best :eek:...

Any how, things eventually started to change when this happened

096.jpg

while the special wheel was on i decided to get rid of the big stickers on the sides.

087.jpg

so out came the girlfriends hair dryer and vodka haha

007.jpg

I'd been eyeing up some anthracite pro race 1.2's for ages and this was the push i needed to make me buy them. I ordered them with yokohama parada spec 2's, I also chose to drop a wheel size to 15's as the tyre prices were unreal! at the same time i ordered a fresh number plate for the front and a skoda fabia splitter.

One sunny day work began...

gave the car a quick wash then the plate was first to go..

before
032.jpg

after
036.jpg

then set about the splitter

043.jpg

while doing this the wheels and tyres arrived ready to fit.

047.jpg

046.jpg

after a bit more work it looked like this.

056.jpg

066.jpg

after this i went off to check tyre pressures.

it did look like a tractor on the new smaller wheels, but i didnt have much money left at the time. desperate to sort out this crazy ride height i ordered some apex springs, not the best but were fine for the time being.

088.jpg

So this is how things were looking...

665.jpg

669.jpg

673.jpg

707.jpg

685.jpg

Between then and now iv also fitted:-

ktec decat
brembo hc plain discs front
mintex m1144 pads front
hel braided lines
ate super blue racing brake fluid
oem spec rear discs and pads

did have photos of every thing but cant find them.

Decided to start this thread as i am looking to get on track this year and have a stash of new/better bits and bobs waiting to go on, I will update when i have some pictures of the nice new parts to post.

Thanks for looking

Liam

Titanium 182
Often see you at Peel on a Sunday pal with your mate in the mrk 1 Focus RS.

Looks sweet, although the billy big woooooooops its canny large :)

182 trophy
Often see you at Peel on a Sunday pal with your mate in the mrk 1 Focus RS.

Looks sweet, although the billy big woooooooops its canny large :)

haha what do you mean by that? the tail pipe? lol if so thats 1 of the things on the to do list.

what car would i see you there in? iv not been along in ages.

Titanium 182
Yeah the tail pipe lol

Just to have a Megane Trophy, got myself a CLio Trophy now, slightly lowered one. Was there a month or so ago when you came into Peel.

182 trophy
was the megane silver? if so i might have chased you down wessington way 1 night... think i gave up fairly quick though lol

182 trophy
haha it supprised me in the corners. give me a wave when you see me next mate cos iv seen a couple of trophys along there.

182 trophy
for got to add cambelt and dephaser got changed last year at service time..

also removed fogs. mainly due to this...

002.jpg

182 trophy
so heres a few pictures of the things i have lying around the house at the minute..

2 new parada spec 2's as the fronts are looking fairly well worn now, these came at a very good price from camskill.

008.jpg

mintex pads are pretty good but when going on a drive up hartside last year they seemed to go a bit soft after some enthusiastic driving... so this year im changing to ferodo ds2500's as iv heard they're a brilliant pad, even on track. discs were looking a bit worn on the inside so got a new set of brembo plain discs to go on at the same time.

003.jpg

Iv also got a new set of fk konigsports to replace my apex springs. Im hoping to see a decent improvement in handling over the old apex springs.

014-1.jpg

so thats what iv got so far, now i just need to find the time to get it all fitted.

If anyone knows of any where decent in the north east to get a 4 wheel alignment done please let me know

Cheers

Liam

182 trophy
quick little update... had a spare few minutes to myself when i finished work today, so i decided to set about removing the badges from the back end of the clio as iv always thought they look a bit cluttered. so out came the good old hair dryer and dental floss.

started with the obvious usual...

003-1.jpg

when the first 2 badges came off i was left with this

004-1.jpg

after a bit more peeling and a quick wipe down this is how it was looking

005-1.jpg

after this i decided to hit it with the old white spirit just to remove the excess glue that was left behind, i then washed it off and put a quick coat of polish and wax back on. so this was the finished product.

006-1.jpg

008-2.jpg

the two holes from the clio badge are to be covered up by a new style renault sport badge after iv ran the polisher over the back end on sunday, just dont see the point putting it on till thats done...

002-2.jpg

cheers

Liam

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
I've got a big bore on mine too. I know it's a bit big but really it isn't as loud as you'd think! Performs really well with it so it's staying. Just wondering, how did you cut the bumper for the recess and do you need any protection there to prevent it melting?

182 trophy
my mate who made the back box did it. not sure how like. I'll ask when i see him next. I have no protection for the bumper hand for 2 years have had no problems with melting... getting a smaller pipe in the next few weeks like.

182 trophy
that badge looks good! i just went on ebay to look for one! are you made of money?? jesus! 35quid for a badge!!!!

Cheers mate. aye they are a rip off like but been saying for ages that I'll get 1 and never did lol in the end it came to me in the form of a birthday present haha.

182 trophy
had a busy weekend working on the car over the bank holiday. I had new seats to fit, didnt imagine it would be as much of a faff on like.

these were the seats i had managed to get a hold of. They came from a friend at the bargin price of £160..

298.jpg

i also got these omp subframes which i had to drill to get them to fit the the runners on the seat.

007-1.jpg

Once the seats were sitting on the frames properly we bolted in the first 1, but there was a problem... It wasnt sitting straight, it was leaning into the middle of the car. So next came some fiddling around to try and get it sitting level. In the end we got it sitting level by looseing these 2 spacers on the door side.

394.jpg

384.jpg

and then had to pack up the other side with some of this metal strapping.

386.jpg

After sorting out the first seat we knew exactly how the second 1 was going to go and got it straight in.

This was the end result.

398.jpg

401.jpg

514.jpg

that is all for tonight :coffee:

182 trophy
Cars looking good mate, there's loads of Cups popping up in the NE now, you don't work in Stockton by any chance do you?

Cheers mate. It's been a while since I saw yours up sunderland way last. Naa don't work in stockton though, I used to work in hartlepool last year though...

Looks great so far mate! Wheels are basically the same as exact same as mine :p 15" tyre prices FTW haha, A slash cut exhaust cut into the bumper with a 182 surround would finish that up a Treat :)

Cheers mate. It's been a while since I saw yours up sunderland way last. Naa don't work in stockton though, I used to work in hartlepool last year though...

Hopefully itll be back out soon enough.

I was sure I seen it the other morning when i was going to work that's all, cup with dark wheels & exhaust. It was early though lol

182 trophy
Looks great so far mate! Wheels are basically the same as exact same as mine :p 15" tyre prices FTW haha, A slash cut exhaust cut into the bumper with a 182 surround would finish that up a Treat :)

Cheers. Yeah tyre prices are ace for 15's. Not sure about a slash cut though... But it will be getting down sized shortly.

182 trophy
Hopefully itll be back out soon enough.

I was sure I seen it the other morning when i was going to work that's all, cup with dark wheels & exhaust. It was early though lol

Haha no not me mate. I'll look forward to seeing yours back out though, bet you can't wait.

182 trophy
bank holiday weekend part 2... after seats were sorted me and a mate started on fitting my new coilovers. We started with the rears and all was going well... till this.

525-1.jpg

526-1.jpg

we ended up working into the dark fannying on with that... but got it out eventually.

529.jpg

starting again the next day we had to find a new shock bolt, this was a fairly hard task on a bank holiday monday. We ended up having to use a make shift jobbie from kwik fit as a temporary solution, it was the closest match we could find but we had to use some spacers.

old bolt

530-1.jpg

temporary bolt

540-1.jpg

i know it looks a bit rough but it was all we had haha.

few pics of the shocks built up and going onto the car.

532-1.jpg

539-1.jpg

538-1.jpg

541-1.jpg

dont really have any pics of the fronts going on because it started to rain so put the camera away. but this was our getto camber adjustment method haha

545.jpg

i was very happy with the result, so here are a few quick snaps i got of it once all done.

550.jpg

547.jpg

546.jpg

551.jpg

i will get some better pictures next time i clean it. the front end has been lifted 15mm as it was rubbing. new bolt has been ordered from renault and will be collecting it tomorrow.

Cant wait for some good dry weather now so i can see how it handles :).

182 trophy
got a few bits and bobs done on the car this sunday, got the new tyres on the front wheels

003-2.jpg

also i fitted the correct replacement rear shock bolt and got rid if the bodge... after that was fitted i had a play around with the ride height, the front got lifted another 10mm and the rear went down 10mm

Rear adjusters are now all the way down

009.jpg

and a quick shot of where the fronts are sitting

005-2.jpg

when this was all sorted i gave it a quick wash and went out for a couple of photos, so this is how its looking...

026.jpg

038.jpg

033.jpg

030.jpg

more to come soon :)

BMW 535d
looks spot on mate, however i cant help but think that exhaust is a bit too ghetto for the rest of the car