ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

andy_coops - Iceberg 172

Astra H 1.8 SRi
That inlet is definitely something different, I quite like it! Really nice example as well.
What's the rubber mats on the garage floor, seen it a few times now?

andy_coops

ClioSport Club Member
  172, VRS, Clio 5
:smile:
Do u mind me asking what methods u used to prep and paint the inlet manifold?
Cleaned with brake cleaner and a brush, left to air dry and then painted straight on with VHT aluminium. Mist coat then 2 wet coats. Lettering was done with Humbrol enamel and it'll get a couple of coats of VHT clear.

andy_coops

ClioSport Club Member
  172, VRS, Clio 5
That inlet is definitely something different, I quite like it! Really nice example as well.
What's the rubber mats on the garage floor, seen it a few times now?
Just £10 mats from Halfords mate!

andy_coops

ClioSport Club Member
  172, VRS, Clio 5
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Small steps. Nasty yellow inlet manifold is gone. Tit of a job after the replacement manifold was missing the connector for the servo vacuum hose.

Gave the Colourlock products a run out too on my seats and finished with a quick wash and Zaino Z8.

Still a long way to go!

andy_coops

ClioSport Club Member
  172, VRS, Clio 5
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
More little steps. CF blanks on and upper grille painted satin black. New front plate on too. Calipers next.

And foglights reconnected - they hadn't worked since I got the car. Simple (and free!) fixes make me a happy boy.

andy_coops

ClioSport Club Member
  172, VRS, Clio 5
Lower grille and fog surrounds given a lock of paint today. Trim dressing was never going to match lol.
And here's a question - I snipped a pair of cables ties when I took the bumper off. They were in the middle and securing the bumper onto (I think) the subframe. Should there be a more permanent and proper fixing point? There's holes in the bumper at the back which seem to pair up to holes in the subframe.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

andy_coops

ClioSport Club Member
  172, VRS, Clio 5
Pretty easy TBH - hardest part was removal without breaking any clips etc.
Thoroughly cleaned using an APC. Then a light key with wet & dry. Then a degreaser (I used a cleaner I use after polishing - seems to work).
Mist coat of either plastic primer or in my case bumper paint as more flexible I've found.
Allow to dry then a mist coat of satin black followed by 2-3 heavier coats but still light to avoid runs etc.
Leave to dry, refit and job done.

andy_coops

ClioSport Club Member
  172, VRS, Clio 5
Few small updates today. Oil and filter change , powerflex dog bone mount fitted and expression mats, um, installed lol.
Quick bath to get rid of the FCS trip bug splatter.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Next is painting calipers and hubs.

andy_coops

ClioSport Club Member
  172, VRS, Clio 5
Gear change feels sharper and less sloppy. Bit more cabin vibration at idle but nothing I can't live with.
I need a quick shift I think to properly get the best from it.

andy_coops

ClioSport Club Member
  172, VRS, Clio 5
Calipers and hubs painted and all bumper screws replaced with new. Have the wheels their 4th coat of Exo too - only mint paint on the car so they're getting protected lol.
Had expert help too so all torqued up properly etc ;)
Fatty kit next once elbow pipe arrives.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

VERY interested to see the silver painted callipers as half thinking of doing mine the same colour. We shall see!

Gear change feels sharper and less sloppy. Bit more cabin vibration at idle but nothing I can't live with.
I need a quick shift I think to properly get the best from it.

Sounds good :up:

andy_coops

ClioSport Club Member
  172, VRS, Clio 5
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Fatty kit fitted. Genuinely no idea whether this adds or loses any bhp's but I don't care. It sounds bloody lovely.
Lots of cleaning to be done to tidy up that area previously hidden under the airbox.

andy_coops

ClioSport Club Member
  172, VRS, Clio 5
That looks a tidy install :up: I've just bought a black Samco induction hose for mine, one would finish the fatty off nicely on yours *imo* :blush:
I'm debating painting my elbow pipe black - I'm going to see if I can live with the bling first lol.

andy_coops

ClioSport Club Member
  172, VRS, Clio 5
Not much done recently - just enjoying the car.
The rear axle and suspension was bugging me as it was rusty and scruffy. Nobody sees it but that isn't the point lol.
Quick wire brush, degrease and black satin Hammerite sorted it.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

andy_coops

ClioSport Club Member
  172, VRS, Clio 5
IMG_7109.JPG
IMG_7140.JPG
IMG_7141.JPG
IMG_7142.JPG
IMG_7144.JPG
Few bits done today.
- new boot carpet
- replaced side lights and mains with led and rainbow bulbs (not sure about the mains but at least the nasty yellow bulbs are in the bin)
- replaced head unit with a £37 Pioneer and while basic it works fine and I can listen to my old fart music.

andy_coops

ClioSport Club Member
  172, VRS, Clio 5
Not feeling it today. This was always a cheap fun car and a dead alternator might just kill it off - I can't do it myself and a garage bill isn't in the budget.

andy_coops

ClioSport Club Member
  172, VRS, Clio 5
IMG_7154.JPG
IMG_7155.JPG
IMG_7156.JPG
Gave her a wash and tucked her away. Just because she's poorly she needn't be filthy lol. Cleaned more bits nobody will ever see too...
Secondhand alternator sourced too so smiling again :)

Great stuff, was going to say would be such a shame to let such a smart car go for a small-ish issue - soon be back up and running!

Oh and *high five* for the old man's music, I too have a CD player that is exactly that, a CD player and radio lol!

Boot carpet looks smart!

andy_coops

ClioSport Club Member
  172, VRS, Clio 5
Up & down day yesterday. Replacement alternator picked up earlier so halfway to sorted :)
Steve, the head unit is radio and iPod/phone only, no cd function. Works fine for me and sound quality is night and day better too.