ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anal ford lover summarises Clio owners ....

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
That and the fact that one was a wannabe race car designed to lap circuits not quite as quick as proper track cars, and the other was a fully equipped GT MegaHatch, designed to cross a continent in comfort, and do a track day when you reached the other side.

I do find the trackday compromises on the R26R a bit over the top considering how few people trackday new cars anyway.

Make an ok buy now though for a track hack!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
R26r is win tbf.

would you have bought one new though? (i mean with your own money not if you won the lottery)

Lot of money for a 1 trick pony.

The reason it hardly sold is all the people who liked it were too young to afford to buy and insure it, lol

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
I couldn't afford one with no engine right now let alone buy one brand new lol.

I'd probably just buy an r26 though if I did have the money.

The problem with R26.R was that it wasn't as good as proper track cars, and was an awful road car. Really just an alternative toy for people who already had both. Crappy business model in isolation. Perhaps an ideal halo engineering exercise to showcase the Renaultsport ethos, but now they make a Clio with fake engine noises, so...

clio 182 sport
Lol, and this is the problem, they sold hardly any of the things cause the people who could afford them didnt want them, lol

this is what makes it a kool car tho ;) the mk2 focus RS are too popular now (says the man driving a ph2 clio)

The problem with R26.R was that it wasn't as good as proper track cars, and was an awful road car. Really just an alternative toy for people who already had both. Crappy business model in isolation. Perhaps an ideal halo engineering exercise to showcase the Renaultsport ethos, but now they make a Clio with fake engine noises, so...

Well that's a load of b****cks in my opinion. Not one 'proper' track car has ever really been as quick as the r26r in the last 20 trackdays I've done in mine. The normal r26 makes such a good track car anyways you hardly need to tweek anything.

I've owned cars I could only trailer to the track and it was just a pain in the arse for me, with the r26r i can drive to the track and be faster than nearly every car there then drive home...

Absolutely fine on the road as it doesn't run much camber but the seats and cage isn't ideal.

Renault clio 2005
It is threads like this that discourage people to become a member of a forum. They serve no purpose other than to create tension between people and cause trouble. I don`t like fords But I like Renaults. But I would prefer a bmw or an audi But we are all limited by how much we want to spend on stuff. In My life My Family`s health and happiness come first. second is living in a decent house 3rd is My fitnesss and friends. and way down the list is Having a decent car. But everyone has a different priority. I could not care less if Your mate thinks members of renault forum are chavtatsic or whatever tbh. I can honestly say that in my own opinion the worst car I have ever been a passenger in was a 2007 ford fiesta In my opinion it was the most boring car I have ever been in with a terrible drony engine. They have made it even worse now by putting the 1.0 engine in the new fiesta. That in My opinion is total crap. But I will not go on about or create a new topic saying how s**t the fiesta ecoboost is lol.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Have you driven an Eco boost? By the sounds if it you haven't therefore you're unable to make an accurate assumption of how it drives. They may well be fantastic (and by all accounts they are) and my personal opinion based on experience on the ecoboost engines would support that train of thought.

if you don't like these threads, don't read/contribute, it's quite simple.

Youve slated the op for mentioning his mates opinion yet you've done exactly the same thing about 2 cars. Why wouldn't you pick a BMW if its a better car? Would you pick the Audi because if the badge? Why is the fiesta s**t? By all accounts it has a very good chassis, could blow your socks off had you driven it.

opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one. Leave then have it, leave them vent it, if you disagree that's your own opinion.

​No opinion is wrong unless it disagrees with Roy's iirc

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
It is threads like this that discourage people to become a member of a forum. They serve no purpose other than to create tension between people and cause trouble. I don`t like fords But I like Renaults. But I would prefer a bmw or an audi But we are all limited by how much we want to spend on stuff. In My life My Family`s health and happiness come first. second is living in a decent house 3rd is My fitnesss and friends. and way down the list is Having a decent car. But everyone has a different priority. I could not care less if Your mate thinks members of renault forum are chavtatsic or whatever tbh. I can honestly say that in my own opinion the worst car I have ever been a passenger in was a 2007 ford fiesta In my opinion it was the most boring car I have ever been in with a terrible drony engine. They have made it even worse now by putting the 1.0 engine in the new fiesta. That in My opinion is total crap. But I will not go on about or create a new topic saying how s**t the fiesta ecoboost is lol.

Says the author of this beauty.

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=701400

I dont mind ford, or renault, when i got my car I was split between a 1.6 focus or a 1.2 clio, the focus was undoubtably quicker but the clio was just so nippy and fun and cheaper to run!

I don't mind what people think of me when Im in my car.

why is being branded a chav such an offence?

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R

Paragraphs, do you speak them?

RB 200
FLOL, firstly at the EcoBoost comment, how can there be many bad points to a 1l engine that puts out 120/125 bhp AND get brilliant MPG? when lets face it, a 1.2/1.4 clio will have 68 bhp/100 bhp so I say well played the manufacturers who've managed to stick a economical lump thats actually decent to drive, all be it, its not insanely fast in the fiesta, but you don't go and buy that kind of car if you want to go fast? the 182 bhp 1.6 EcoBoost is a lovely motor to drive, although I'll not be owning one for 2 reasons - I would't have a european ford, can't stand them, work for ford, thats enough of the blue oval for me and also I didn't find it as fun as my 200 when I took one home for the day from work.

secondly, I have my priorities too, and although I have toyed with the idea of trading the mrs fiat 500 in (can't have 4 cars & sod getting rid of the 200 or triumph :p) and getting either a Camaro or a Audi S5 BUT .. I'm only 23, Im getting married next year and I've got plenty of time to enjoy as many different cars as I can, and I intend on doing so, I love them and I'll not regret having fun with them.

lastly. I can't quite grasp how ANYONE who can type THIS and expect to be correct can even have the intelligence to comment on the good or bad points of a car/engine they've not experienced or driven.

Well that's a load of b****cks in my opinion. Not one 'proper' track car has ever really been as quick as the r26r in the last 20 trackdays I've done in mine. The normal r26 makes such a good track car anyways you hardly need to tweek anything.

I've owned cars I could only trailer to the track and it was just a pain in the arse for me, with the r26r i can drive to the track and be faster than nearly every car there then drive home...

Absolutely fine on the road as it doesn't run much camber but the seats and cage isn't ideal.

I get what you're saying but come on, be real. It's nowhere near as good on track as something like a Caterham or an Exige, and nowhere near as comfy or practical as every other quick hatchback.

They are cool, but ultimately outclassed by track cars on track, and not a practical hatchback on the road.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
FLOL, firstly at the EcoBoost comment, how can there be many bad points to a 1l engine that puts out 120/125 bhp AND get brilliant MPG? when lets face it, a 1.2/1.4 clio will have 68 bhp/100 bhp so I say well played the manufacturers who've managed to stick a economical lump thats actually decent to drive, all be it, its not insanely fast in the fiesta, but you don't go and buy that kind of car if you want to go fast? the 182 bhp 1.6 EcoBoost is a lovely motor to drive, although I'll not be owning one for 2 reasons - I would't have a european ford, can't stand them, work for ford, thats enough of the blue oval for me and also I didn't find it as fun as my 200 when I took one home for the day from work.

secondly, I have my priorities too, and although I have toyed with the idea of trading the mrs fiat 500 in (can't have 4 cars & sod getting rid of the 200 or triumph :p) and getting either a Camaro or a Audi S5 BUT .. I'm only 23, Im getting married next year and I've got plenty of time to enjoy as many different cars as I can, and I intend on doing so, I love them and I'll not regret having fun with them.

lastly. I can't quite grasp how ANYONE who can type THIS and expect to be correct can even have the intelligence to comment on the good or bad points of a car/engine they've not experienced or driven.

​Flol at the edit in that thread!

I get what you're saying but come on, be real. It's nowhere near as good on track as something like a Caterham or an Exige, and nowhere near as comfy or practical as every other quick hatchback.

They are cool, but ultimately outclassed by track cars on track, and not a practical hatchback on the road.

Yeah I understand caterham and exiges might be more fun to drive for but I can't remember the last time I actually saw one driven quicker on track. I used to track my gt3 but to tell you the truth I'm faster in the megane and to not be bothered if I stack it into the barriers makes things a lot more fun.
Mine is only used for trackdays I drive there drive back and put it away in the garage so for me it fits the bill perfectly.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
LOL...This thread.

Ford in anything other than the RS model are underpowered
Renault can't make gearboxes
Ford can't do interiors
Renault can't do build quality
Ford are finally just getting to grips with rust issues

But to end the thread, EDC vs ST. Renault are going downhill...

Fiesta ST2 MP215
LOL...This thread.

Ford in anything other than the RS model are underpowered
Renault can't make gearboxes
Ford can't do interiors
Renault can't do build quality
Ford are finally just getting to grips with rust issues

But to end the thread, EDC vs ST. Renault are going downhill...

The Fiesta has an epic interior, much better than the standard 3 switched and 2 dials crap that everything else has, think people just resent having agg with changing the stereo tbf.

Fiesta ST2 MP215
yeah, a lot of people look at a built in unit and then hate the whole interior and to quote 6 people I know at least, " can't change the stereo, the interior is sh*t in this car" why that makes it crap is beyond me. Fiesta has an awesome interior same as the new Focus, and I hate all fords.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
The MK7 is leaps ahead in it's class, especially in comparison to the Clio.

Oh and lols at changing the stereo! f**king yoofs!

I hated my ford fiesta and absolutely love my clio.
While I might not be dipping into the ST and RS world of either, my Mk4 fiesta was an absolute pile of s**t. The day it got stolen had to be the happiest day of my life. I actually felt bad for whoever nicked it because they really did themselves a dis-service.

It was ridiculously rusty, so much so, the door weather seals fell off, because the metal lip rusted and broke off one day shutting the door ffs. The engine was a pile of dung, constantly dropping power. In the few years I had that car, it spent only around 8 months on the road, all totaled up. The rest of the time, it had to be repaired for one thing or another. It had no heat, passenger windows didnt work, fans only worked on full, as mentioned it rusted, it overheated all the time. It was just shockingly poor.

In comparison, my Mk2 Clio, same engine size - 1.4 is almost certainly Faster, nippier, so much more fun to drive, it's way way more comfortable, surprisingly EVERYTHING still works on it (most of the time). and the only money i've HAD to spend on it, has been routine maintenance.

​I would not want to drive a ford ever ever again.

Inferno 182 & Saxo
Some cars you get trouble with others are gems, its luck of the draw. A mate of mine had a mk4 fiesta 1.3 that went on forever, only needed service items such as brakes and shocks. It used to batter up and down the motor way week in, week out and never missed a beat - even when its owner told me he hadnt changed the oil in about 25000 miles and the oil light used to come on when braking hard due to the sump being extremely low of oil.
Replaced it with a new ford focus and it popped a spark plug out of the head after a couple of months owner ship, ripping the threads with it. Granted thats down to some monkey not servicing it correctly but still bad luck

Fiesta ST2 MP215
Indeed it is, someone at work has the new Clio, just a 1.2 TCE I think, been back for warranty work 4 times and that stupid screen which let's face it they stole the idea from VW Sirocco is just plain crap, doesn't even look flush or like it's meant to fit, then there is the issue of those retarded plastic parts on the outside of the doors, they will rattle in a months time forever and ever.

Disco 5 ,Monaro VXR
I've always found that when people sl*g off someone's car over another car I always say, 'why do you care'?

That seems to confuse the sh*t out of them and they don't have a come back.

Mine is just start doing a slow clap, they never know what to say or do.

Indeed it is, someone at work has the new Clio, just a 1.2 TCE I think, been back for warranty work 4 times and that stupid screen which let's face it they stole the idea from VW Sirocco is just plain crap, doesn't even look flush or like it's meant to fit, then there is the issue of those retarded plastic parts on the outside of the doors, they will rattle in a months time forever and ever.

VW stuff is certainly put together nicely. I owned a Mk 6 Golf which was a nice place to be, and I test drove a Scirroco 2.0 TSI with a leather interior which was really nice and comfy inside, lovely. My 172 is like a shed in comparison lol.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I had a 1.3 Fiesta Encore MK4, was awesome. Went forever even with no oil. Changed it for a Clio Extreme 1.2 16v. It was light years ahead... it was also 6 years newer....

I had a 1.3 Fiesta Encore MK4, was awesome. Went forever even with no oil. Changed it for a Clio Extreme 1.2 16v. It was light years ahead... it was also 6 years newer....

Mine was the 1.4 Fiesta chicane Zetec. Brother seized it first with no oil, after having a puma lump dropped in - most of the dash lights didn't work, I ended up seizing it again in the winter and then 3rd time round the doner head crackedm in half froma previous bodged repair from whoever had the engine before me.
Good money after bad on that car!

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Mine was the 1.4 Fiesta chicane Zetec. Brother seized it first with no oil, after having a puma lump dropped in - most of the dash lights didn't work, I ended up seizing it again in the winter and then 3rd time round the doner head crackedm in half froma previous bodged repair from whoever had the engine before me.
Good money after bad on that car!

So your saying a butchered, poorly modified and repaired car was a shitter?

shocking that!

​compare it to the same car that's been looked after all its life, you may actually drive a ford again!

Inferno 182 & Saxo
so the engine froze as you didnt fill it with anti freeze? You cant moan when an engine gives up when its mistreated

So your saying a butchered, poorly modified and repaired car was a s**tter?

shocking that!

​compare it to the same car that's been looked after all its life, you may actually drive a ford again!

I wouldn't say butchered or poorly modified. the engine died - it was replaced with another zetec engine. But the whole shell as a whole was scrap. Opening the door alone was a bloody tetanus risk.
I'm sure you're right that if I had a stunning example beside it - i'd have different opinions. But based on my current experience of them - never again.
An engine transplant can always be a high risk.

But it's been echoed above, people have their choice manufacurers, some people like fords, some like renaults etc. I get no end of people telling me my clio is 'french scrap' and that i should bin it and get 'something proper' but to be honest - the little clio has basically never let me down. Certainly not as much as the fiesta did, but there are bad examples in every camp.

i'll give it one thing - i loved the green and white dials. That's about it though!

so the engine froze as you didnt fill it with anti freeze? You cant moan when an engine gives up when its mistreated

No it seized from low oil the one week i didn't check it.