ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

am i right in thinking this is the camshafts?

2nd Black 1.2
through my own idiocy (i admit) my engines f**ked. went too long without checking the oil.

saturday night, something went and i got a mental rattling from the engine.. after getting it home on the back of the truck, i read up a little bit and belive its the camshafts have gone? help appreiciated :(

Doubt its the camshafts have gone mate, if its oil starvation more likely the bottom end has seized or broken something.

53 Clio's & counting
Normally lack of oil starves big end bearings/crank of oil - scored crank + knackered bearings, but it could be more damage - all depends on the noise, where it's coming from etc - I wouldn't run it any more to listen mind

SQ5
Yea your thinking of crankshaft, not cam shaft. Same thing happened to mine. Probably seized on and managed to hit the valves, mine blew my spark plug out lol!

2nd Black 1.2
like i said, a list of things :( its only a 1.2 8v so..? :/ having a mate whos a mechanic have a look tonight, just to see what it is :(

SQ5
More than likely, and if it's the engine I'm thinking of it's been made since 1997 so easy and cheap to get hold of!

Black 172
To my eternal and everlasting shame I have not checked my oil level in my 172 since buying it.
It says "Oil Ok" every time I turn it on, but I know I shouldn't rely on that.
MUST check it tomorrow... I have all the bits for an oil change in the garage too, I have just got to get round to doing it.
Did yours say Oil Ok when you switched ignition on or doesn't your car have that?

SQ5
I'm unsure, but an 8v one should be easy to source!

Before going to Goodwood FOS this year thought I'd better check before a 4 hour journey, was not reading on dipstick, ended up putting 2 litres in LOL! f**k knows how it survived, it was driven hard, it must of had magnatec in and had a good coating!

2nd Black 1.2
turns out a bolt on the crankshaft and split and was rattling around in the case, luckily cause i didnt drive it home, it stayed put and didnt f*** the whole thing! looking for a repair around the <200 mark, i was expecting it to cost me over 400! so im a lucky boy and a very happy one at that! :)

MK3 GTI golf 16v
ah thats not too bad then mate :) as you said though, worse ways round with the 1.2 engines is you just buy a new. cheap as chips

2nd Black 1.2
update:
the 'mechanic' i had round to have a look, hadnt served an apprenticeship, but prided himself on being "close to being a ford mastertech" told me i needed a helicoil in the camshaft, and genuinly said 'aye, il just drill and tap a new thread into the cam while its on the engine to save time' so he was chucked. got my friend who IS an apprentice to have a look, she laughed at his stupidity, yes,she then had a look in the dark, and basically told me i need an engine rebuild. so its getting toed out to a garage round the road from my house as my work is £70 and hour (F*** that.) to get priced. if its near the £300 mark for a rebuild, im throwing in a 1.2 16v d4f with about 50000mls, which will make my profit more when it comes to selling time. 50000mls > 110,000mls.

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
Nope. Pretty much any car on the 2nd hand market that doesn't has the engine it rolled out the factory with is worth sod-all 2nd hand. Screams of abuse.

Ph1
If your cars done a 100k and you shove a 20k engine in it doesn't mean your car has suddenly only done 20k lol

On the other hand, not sure that you would get less either, how would they know realistically?... but if you told a buyer its more likely to put them off

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
16v conversion isnt an easy conversion unless your using a doner car btw.

i just stuck a 2nd hand engine in an S reg one, same engine, sourced it for £45! lol