ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Am i just thinking stupid?

So recently I keep having this itch/ thoughts about getting a 197, read a few similar threads on options, specs, mpg blah blah blah

I guess the main reason stems from the Surrey RR day and lack of pony's that my car has and the possible amount of work involved to get some back then upgrades on top, respray, suspension overhaul, wheel refurb, brakes etc etc till im happy with it. I do love the rawness of the Ph1 and im guessing i'll majority of this with a 197.

Obviously I’d have to sell the Ph1 and save a bit of money first but my question is..

Am i being completely stupid thinking that buying a 197 will provide as much enjoyment and involvement as the ph1 but with more power and quite a bit more refinement?
I know this will probably cause split opinions ;)

So the second question is... is it worth blowing 6-7k on a 197 or should i just stick with the ph1 put some money in to it and enjoy it some more?

Thing is the 197 will still go down in value and I don’t think that the ph1 will go up in value any time soon unless i do a complete restoration job (which for me would be impossible) Would probably keep the whichever car for quite a while so I guess this is irrelevant

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
Have you got a project thread or spec list of yours?
id consider taking yours as a PX on our 197 maybe.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
In my op, the 197 for everyday use will be easier to live with & be just as fun for the most part.

But then that very much differs depending on your views..

Listerine & Poledo
Pointless.

The "bit more power" is surely swallowed by the extra weight and, as for "a bit more refined"? well, thats like pitching wormwood scrubs against Guantanamo bay.

But, if you were to say R27 in LY, with all the body trimmings, then all the above is irrelevant, because it would be full-hero

i'd probably go for an R27 anyway even if it was just for the recaros and slightly more exclusive, would have to be in LY.

My brother had one and was lovely :)

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
ive never owned a 197 but ive owned a 200 and ph1 (along with a few ph2's) and imo there is no contest between the mk3s and mk2s - mk3 wins in every area other than running costs.

I love mk2s but only reason id have one over a mk3 would be if I couldn't afford a mk3!

Many.
Power is just a number, more about how it drives. Yours could probably do with a few bits to improve that, but you'd end up spending as much on a 197 modifying it.

Power is just a number, more about how it drives. Yours could probably do with a few bits to improve that, but you'd end up spending as much on a 197 modifying it.

Well this is my thinking... all the while im thowing money at the Ph1 i know i'll never see any of it back, been there done that with the 205 Mi16 i had, dont regret it though.
i know i'd probably spend a few pennies on modifying the 197 too so thats the only thing swaying me to stay with the Ph1

Personal opinion, but I'd rather stick with the ph1. Is it worth spending 7k for the improvements a newer one would give you?