ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alternator shagged / How far by battery alone? / Tips

Having booked into Fred (BTM) ages ago for Cam/Aux belt kits I then had the "Stop and Battery light" issue on my 29,000 mile 182.
Pinned it down to the alternator and bought a second battery (low spec. Unipart "063" 40AH). Ensured both batteries were fully charged on a battery conditioner and set off for Fred's (330 miles away) - fully expecting to have to swap batteries within half an hour and eventually call out the recovery people.

Feck me - went about 2.5/3 hours and 167 miles on the original battery (having crapped myself going through Cumbernauld 40mph roadworks on 40 minutes)

Feck me twice over - went about the same again on the Unipart to arrive at Fred's and conk out on the forecourt (having had to put petrol in with the engine running and going through Spaghetti Junction and 6 miles of Birmingham snarl-up when on it's last legs)!

I don't recommend this - couldn't have done it if had needed lights/wipers/windows etc. - but surprising distances are possible if necessary.

I can't remember the exact mileages but about 3/4 of the way in when the juice is really starting to go the other warning lights will come on; at about 7/8ths the speedo will stop working and you need to keep left.....