ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alternator gone?

DCI 80
Hey guys,

So im driving home from work the other day battery light and stop light starts flickering think its possibly just a bad connection and cars running fine but a few days later it wont start.

Jumped it and it sprang into life as usual. The battery has to be over 3 years old and when she was sat for 2 months a while back after having a bit of a rebuild on the front end again she wouldn't start so jumped her and took her for a good run and for the next 500 miles was fine no issues until the other day when the flickering began.

Down to Europarts Saturday, new Bosch battery fitted thought my troubles were over. Lights are still on but she starts fine so i thought this was possibly now an alternator issue.

Voltmeter out and 12.53 across the two battery terminals when engine is off and still 12.53 when engine is running and shes reved to 2000rpm. Lights on and heater etc and the voltage drops, checked it from the alternator connection leading back to the battery and on the chassis and still a reading of about 12.50.

​Can i safetly assume im going to need to fit a new alternator and it couldn't be anything else? She only had a new one on 2 1/2 years ago!

​Cheers for any help

Last edited:
  2001 Clio 172
Alternator should put out roughly 13.5-14.5 volts, check tension of belt and condition of wiring before buying your new alternator!