ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

alternative to powerflex?

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
downloaded a piccy off their site, looks likke a different design to powerflex ones.
could any of the experts chime in? 151476a_avg_bp.jpg

Clio 2.4 1.2 16V
Hello,
I've read very bad things about Poxerflex wishbone bushings four our Clios. So I'm interested by the Strongflex ones, because that's the only other brand making wishbone bushings for Clio I found.
Does someone have experienced these ?

Clio 172 Ph2
Powerflex have revised their wishbone kit since most of the threads saying 'bad things' about them were created. They now have thicker outer sleeves, harder bushes, and washers to sit between the bushes and the chassis.

I'm hoping those tweaks will make them an actual upgrade to (or at least not worse than) the originals - as I've got some to fit on mine tomorrow :)

Clio 2.4 1.2 16V
I saw the new powerflex wishbone bushes and it seems to be better engineered than the old design. Thank you for the information. :)

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
I bought a set of yellow strongflex out of curiosity...they are the same design as the old powerflex, the bushes are galvanized (can that be welded?) the yellow ones I have feel slightly harder that the purple Powerflex ones (scientific nail indentation test).
I like the new design of the powerflex, but with the black bushes I think they might be too stiff for everyday use, so i'll be using the old style purple ones.

Lionel Richie
Hello,
I've read very bad things about Poxerflex wishbone bushings four our Clios. So I'm interested by the Strongflex ones, because that's the only other brand making wishbone bushings for Clio I found.
Does someone have experienced these ?

Nothing wrong with powerflex, its all down to the install which people seem to mess up all the time

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
what he said..
and the strongflex being the same design as the powerflex, they would have the same pittfalls.

Fred , have you had any experience with the new Powerflex ones yet with regards to mounting/ride nvh etc?

Clio 2.4 1.2 16V
Nothing wrong with powerflex, it all down to the install which people seem to mess up all the time

I know that the sleeve has to be welded to the wishbone, if not it goes out. But in France I have read feedbacks of people tracking with their Clio and having installed it the right way who have had fast wearing issues and abnormal deformation of the sleeve. I have to change mines and these feedbacks make me doubt about the quality of powerflex wishbone bushings.

Lionel Richie
we've installed loads and never had a problem, not blowing my own trumpet, 95% of problems are down to installation, it still surprises me that people don't use a torque wrench and/or tighten the arms up with the suspension under load, its common sense!

Clio 2.4 1.2 16V
we've installed loads and never had a problem, not blowing my own trumpet, 95% of problems are down to installation, it still surprises me that people don't use a torque wrench and/or tighten the arms up with the suspension under load, its common sense!

Here are pictures from Clio RS concept French forum :
http://img74.xooimage.com/files/b/3/f/powerflex-d-ar2-30d109e.jpg
http://img66.xooimage.com/files/d/a/d/powerflex-d-av2-30d10d2.jpg
http://img74.xooimage.com/files/8/5/5/powerflex-g-ar-2-2-30d10e4.jpg
http://img74.xooimage.com/files/2/f/c/powerflex-g-ar-1-2-30d1074.jpg

The sleeve is welded but I don't know whether the wishbones have been tightened under load or not...

Fiesta ST-2 Finsport

Fred do you mean that you should tighten them when the wheels/suspension is under load (ie when the wishbones are in there nuetral position)

chris

Clio 2.4 1.2 16V
Fred do you mean that you should tighten them when the wheels/suspension is under load (ie when the wishbones are in there nuetral position)

chris

Yes you should. This is valid for all bushes : wishbone, front arb, rear lower damper, rear axle articulations...

Cup In bits
Those pictures clearly show the sleeve's fitted incorrectly, they should touch the subframe. If you do that on both bushes and the arm will be allowed to float backwards and forwards causing the damage.

Do you have a link to the revised type Bozohunter?

Lionel Richie
Now I'm back home and I can see the vid. Looks frightening ! :eek: I hope it's due to rubbish install, but still not confident about Powerflex wishbone bushes... :( And for my non-Sport Powerflex still makes the old-design wishbone bushes. :(

i "think" you can use the sport ones in the non sports, but not 100% sure

Clio 2.4 1.2 16V
Those pictures clearly show the sleeve's fitted incorrectly, they should touch the subframe. If you do that on both bushes and the arm will be allowed to float backwards and forwards causing the damage.

Do you have a link to the revised type Bozohunter?
You can find it on the manufacturer site : http://www.powerflex.co.uk/product-details/Front+Lower+Wishbone+Bush/1241.html ;)

i "think" you can use the sport ones in the non sports, but not 100% sure
I was told non-Sport had to be fitted with Clio A 16S bushes because they are saller than Sport ones... But have to check the information.

Clio 2.4 1.2 16V
I finally bought some Powerflex wishbones bushes for my Clio.
I had no problem to fit it on my non-sport wishbones, they're the same diameter. But it was hard to put back the wishbones on the car as the assembly with washers on each side is a little bit larger than the place on the car. I spent 2 hours fitting the first one and 20 minutes fitting the second one.

I'm very happy with these bushings, the steering is very responsive and precise. :) Even if the new model is very hard (part of the new "black series" line that is engineered for track), the ride is still comfy enough with my Bilstein B8/Eibach Sportline/strutbrace setup. :)
The only unknown is the lifespan. I'll keep you updated afer a trackday guys. ;)

CS2 PH1, Pug S16,
Hi to all.
Let me introduce my expirience using strongflex bushes.
I have install it 3 weeks ago, and can say that its are grate. Also i have install roll bar round bushes at front.
The suspension began more responsible and tought.
And i'm planning to buy and install rear beam strongflex bushes.

b32d93cs-960.jpg

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
I'll be fitting Strongflex wishbone bushes to my 182 track car this weekend so i'll try and keep people updated as i use them. I know a lad who races in the trackday trophy who's just started using them, so I'll see how he gets on.

Attachments

• IMG_3995.png
    IMG_3995.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 120