ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

All New Beaniemoo Project Build. Mini Clubman 1275gt

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
Well some of you may still remember us from our White Mk1 Clio build on here which has been thrashing about quite a lot and generally getting thrown out of circuits for being waaaaaay too noisy! Lol. It still needs a little bit of tinkering with but I suspect it always will..

XSP_4476.jpg

Also under our belts we have Moo's old Saxo which is now sold, broken for parts and scrapped.

P1010731.jpg

And so in the words of some famous bloke off the Tv "Time for something completely different"

During the summer a freind of mine aquired this 1972 Mini Clubman 1275gt. when it turned out he wasn't going to do anything with it i decided I had to have it!! So for the princely sum of £400 I took it from him.

1023fc5b.jpg

9dcbe4e7.jpg

But as the trackday season was still in full swing there just wasnt the time or money to do anything with it so it was consigned to the garage for a couple of months

c8cba357.jpg

However! Today we were at a bit of a loose end and decided that it was time to start on the mini. So we headed over to the garage and dragged the car out.

ec130151.jpg

and started stripping...

766d130f.jpg

Nothing too exciting to report really but just pics of a day stripping the car at the mo..

d7dc6556.jpg

a51b804c.jpg

As is often the case with our projects it turned into a bit of a family afair...

ebf9e1c9.jpg

And by the end of the day the car was about 50% stripped..

126d4aae.jpg

13eb9cd8.jpg

c97c7058.jpg

Just in case your wondering the plan for this car is I plan to return it to how it was the day it left the factory which after a bit of research turns out was a Blaze Orange 1275gt with a blue vinyl interior like this..

d91684a1.jpg

This is definately going to be a long term build but I'm determined I can do it so bare with me. Lol

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Tax exempt Mk1 GT, mint. For a minute i thought this was gonna be changed into something completely different. Really pleased it's going back to original looks.... I hope :cool:

Will watch this thread

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
This is going to be awesome, the Clio build kept me hooked from beginning to end.

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
Richardo, you sound like a man who knows what he's looking at. It was the fact it was a mk1 Gt that drew me to it so much. Such an unusual car these days to the point that finding info and examples of how it should look will possibly be as bigger part as the mechanical work.
The car has a thick very poor cellulose home paint job covering a LOT of filler and previous low quality repairs. Inside has been hammerited black and again it's quite clear that under that there's plenty of work needed. With a bit of luck we'll be able to bare shell it in the next two weekends then I can send it for acid dipping. Only then will we really know what's what and how much work is needed.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Richardo, you sound like a man who knows what he's looking at. It was the fact it was a mk1 Gt that drew me to it so much. Such an unusual car these days to the point that finding info and examples of how it should look will possibly be as bigger part as the mechanical work.
The car has a thick very poor cellulose home paint job covering a LOT of filler and previous low quality repairs. Inside has been hammerited black and again it's quite clear that under that there's plenty of work needed. With a bit of luck we'll be able to bare shell it in the next two weekends then I can send it for acid dipping. Only then will we really know what's what and how much work is needed.

I used to run a mini club here in Southend, we attended some of the biggest national mini events as a club going back to the year 2000. Friends and i have owned most if not all the mini variants along with different spec, overbored A series engines in situ. 1275cc, 1293 turbo, 1380 hill climb spec.

A Mk1 1275GT in std condition are few and far between, to get it for £400 is amazing! Minis are holding their value so when this is finished it'll be worth much more, much more.

I really can't wait for updates, shame i don't live nearer as i reckon my brother (another mini fan) and i would love to see this. All the best :cool:

Sounds great!
My first car was a 1973 Mini 1000 in Blaze. After that I had a Tara green 1275gt followed by a black 1275gt. Loved & missed them all!
Good luck with the project, I will keep an eye on it

Ph1 Clio V6, Ph2 172
You'll be mad to play around with that too much. As said above, that will be worth big money if restored to an original period spec. I'm thinking of selling my mk1 Miglia once ive got it exactly how I want it but I think I should chain it too my garage floor as I know it'll be worth wedge in a few years. Get a s**t shell and wack a clubby front on it if you want to race/hill climb it.

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
You'll be mad to play around with that too much. As said above, that will be worth big money if restored to an original period spec. I'm thinking of selling my mk1 Miglia once ive got it exactly how I want it but I think I should chain it too my garage floor as I know it'll be worth wedge in a few years. Get a s**t shell and wack a clubby front on it if you want to race/hill climb it.

We have said that we DO plan to do a full nut and bolt restoration back to EXACTLY how it would have left the factory.
Finding out all the info we need is going to be tough as BMC made no records of what cars they were producing during the time our Clubman was produced

e91 330d/type r mini
if this ends up half as good as your clio it will be awesome :)
i wish you luck as im sure there will be plenty of late nights and long weekends doing it, i have just finished my mini which took me just short of a year to build but love it now its done :)
good luck

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
if this ends up half as good as your clio it will be awesome :)
i wish you luck as im sure there will be plenty of late nights and long weekends doing it, i have just finished my mini which took me just short of a year to build but love it now its done :)
good luck

Wow praise from Ceaser indeed!! I've not been posting on a great dealof threads since my laptop died but I do still read a lot and i'm fully aware of your car and love it!!

Woooooooo! Cheers for all the great posts I'm really feeling the love! lol

Well today we've been back down the garage and carried on stripping the car back to it's component parts.

There's not a massive amount that needs saying about it so here's some pics of our progress...

926d92ca.jpg

d451b62f.jpg

With everything disconnected we removed the front subframe and engine, not sure if this is the conventional way you experienced mini types do it but it seemed a fairly good solution..

7b25a506.jpg

cf7c4c8c.jpg

bdc6ed2e.jpg

The driveshafts are a lot different to what i know driveshafts to be and the car has a dynamo rather than an alternator which i found very exciting. Alsoit says Mowog on the bellhousiing which hopfully means it's retained its original engine setup..

95e24a48.jpg

d6fd7ff9.jpg

a97d5296.jpg

Atfer a brief KFC break we resumed stripping but didn't take many pictures until we'd finished. So the mini ended the day looking like this..

efd5f5df.jpg

d8017250.jpg

044fa1ce.jpg

35ebdadf.jpg

be034b62.jpg

So the mini is now tucked safely away in the garage. The next step I think will be a few hours spent unpicking the remaining odds and sods so the car is just a bodyshell. I'll also need to do some overtime to get some pennies together so I can get it dipped.

Cheers for reading.

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
Mr Beaniemoo!

What happened to the saxo?!

The Saxo was getting on moos nerves quite a lot as it still needed a lot of work to be a finished car so when a fella offered fair price for it as a going concern he sold up. When matey got the car he decided he prefered his shell and styling so stripped the engine bay and conversion work, fitted it to his car and scrapped the black bodyshell.

GSXR + KDX220
£400 for a 1275GT? Thats a steal considering the condition it looks to be in ;)

Last edited:
  Disastra Coupe
The Saxo was getting on moos nerves quite a lot as it still needed a lot of work to be a finished car so when a fella offered fair price for it as a going concern he sold up. When matey got the car he decided he prefered his shell and styling so stripped the engine bay and conversion work, fitted it to his car and scrapped the black bodyshell.

His shell was in better condition but f**k me his car looks an eye sore compared to the mk1. Really don't get all the fuss over his car.

Good luck with the Mini :)

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
Well this is far from the most interesting update but I thought i'd stick it on anyway as it was a pretty key stage. Anyhow, Tuesday night Myself and a workmate nipped to the garage and dragged the shell into work with his car. This meant I was able to get the grinder on the door hinge the nuts were too corroded to get a socket to undo.

551b81c4.jpg

a3b2fe59.jpg

Withthat done we strapped it to the back of a friends BMW and dragged it up to ProStrip Dipping in Nottingham. They see, really friendly to deal with so far so if the job is done to a good standard i'll be happy as.

30156271.jpg

47fa7737.jpg

ec063258.jpg

8306c84a.jpg

Some of the other stuff there. Only stage 1 of the process happens on this site and they're not pretty when thats done lol

69b9ddca.jpg

4b5eb228.jpg

9c07ca54.jpg

2b915b83.jpg

Looking at around 3 weeks before i get the shell back but i've told them to let me know if i need to bring a trailer or a bin bag to bring it home lol

Last edited:

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Whats the process then? It can't be good leaving them outside to get rained on surely??

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
The process is acid dipping but stage one of it is the shell being baked until all the paints fillers and sealers burn off (sounds scary but we shall see). After that the shell wil be dipped in acid which will clean all the corrosion and burned paint off the shell leaving just metal... and holes lol

The trailer is one owned by my mate Craig (the lad who rode his motorbike back to bedford, collected his car and this trailer, drove back and towed Moo's Rallye back from Donnington when it blew up!). He towed it up there for me in the end as I only have a childrens driving licence and can't really tow lol.
Jamie bought a pretty tidy brian james Trailer in the end.

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
Wow cheers gazza! I do love to see pics of other peoples gt's to spur me on!

Well I got the call on Thursday but was too busy to collect the shell until today. I was ever so glad it decided to rain on me lol

b389f16b.jpg

Back at the garage and time to assess

fa02079c.jpg

In all fairness it's in really good nick for a car that's nearly 40years old.

Boot floors been damaged at some point and not had the best repair. Also quite a bit of rot in the corners.

3fdf494c.jpg

Inner wings have gone in an annoyingly awkward place.

abee969e.jpg

c92bdf88.jpg

There's a few bits in normal mini places.

ce784d24.jpg

5226abc5.jpg

And an old repair in the corner of the floor.

6fc11bcb.jpg

There's obviously a few other bits and bobs that will need sorting but they're the most obvious. Overall I'm really happy with it and can't wait to get my teeth into it.