ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alignment

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
As I've removed the rear spacers that had camber on causing the rear to be off, the lad from the garage who did my alignment seems to think they're going to want to charge me again as now all the front end will be out as the system uses the rear to calibrate the front?

Thing is, the steering wheel is off-centre, and was off-centre when I left the garage. I am booked in for this saturday morning, but if they're going to end up charging me again, i'd rather get some 10mm spacers on the back end and resolve a knocking noise i've got. Thoughts?

Doesn't make too much sense to me, as i'd have though the rear is the rear, and the front is the front. So regardless the front with 6 degrees of toe will always be that.

If you want some rear 10mm spacers, let me know. I've got the 10mm ones sat in the garage that you can buy off me as I replaced them with 5mm ones :)

PH2 172
As I've removed the rear spacers that had camber on causing the rear to be off, the lad from the garage who did my alignment seems to think they're going to want to charge me again as now all the front end will be out as the system uses the rear to calibrate the front?

Thing is, the steering wheel is off-centre, and was off-centre when I left the garage. I am booked in for this saturday morning, but if they're going to end up charging me again, i'd rather get some 10mm spacers on the back end and resolve a knocking noise i've got. Thoughts?

Doesn't make too much sense to me, as i'd have though the rear is the rear, and the front is the front. So regardless the front with 6 degrees of toe will always be that.

When you say the steering was off centre when you left the garage, do you mean you had to actively steer to run in a straight line, or that the car ran in a straight line hands off, but the steering wheel was off centre?

Personally, I would get the geo redone without any spacers, and rectify any discrepancy with a shim(s) at the same time as fitting the 10mm flat spacers.

You could replace the stub axle, but that would mean yet another strip down and geo set up to discover if it had made any difference.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
If you want some rear 10mm spacers, let me know. I've got the 10mm ones sat in the garage that you can buy off me as I replaced them with 5mm ones :smile:
I literally just ordered some 10mm ones from Kamracing yesterday! I need new bolts as well to be fair, as mine rounded (they were new).

When you say the steering was off centre when you left the garage, do you mean you had to actively steer to run in a straight line, or that the car ran in a straight line hands off, but the steering wheel was off centre?

Personally, I would get the geo redone without any spacers, and rectify any discrepancy with a shim(s) at the same time as fitting the 10mm flat spacers.

You could replace the stub axle, but that would mean yet another strip down and geo set up to discover if it had made any difference.

The car pulled left hands off the wheel, but this disappeared after removing the rear spacers. When i was trying to steer straight just normally the wheel was also very marginally off centre. It's more out now the rear is sorted though.

In regards to the rear spacers...If I leave them off, and the car is setup again as is, surely when I then fit shims/spacers this will require the front to be setup again? Or am I missing a trick here.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Get whatever you want fitted mate and take it back to be done once.

If the rear isn’t right there’s no point getting the tracking done.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I'm no further forward really with the rear end anyway. I just know it's no where near as bent as first thought, but the camber may be slightly out side to side.

I'm just taking it to my brothers work as they have a snapon laser alignment setup. Won't cost me anything then, and also saves me having to f**k around with garages. Which is always nice.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Got the car on alignment at my brothers work today after fitting some brand new 10mm rear spacers. The front end was out completely both toe and camber so got it all readjusted to 6 mins toe out either side and 1.5 degrees of negative camber either side.

I'm yet to run it properly as an anti roll bar bracket has snapped off completely. Brill.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Hold on, if the machine calibrates the front to the rear then yes it would have been out at the front as the rear was all to pot. But as the rear was clearly wrong why didn't the guy tell you that you would have to pay full price again when he did it first time? I guess we know who's got it wrong then eh!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
When I went to get mine done I was told it needed a shim on the rear left to make it equal.

Didn’t do the tracking until then.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Top is before. Look how all over it is. I understand the toe to a certain extent but the camber? We got the toe to 0.06 both sides after this photo.
received_10159553361965441.jpeg

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
The photo above is after my brother aligned it (bottom are the new readings, top as it went on the ramp).
These are the readings when it left allcartyres in Huddersfield with the old cambered spacers on the rear.
received_1501710726588002.jpeg

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
It’s as though something was left loose and the tracking got lost when you left, the first time.

Apologies if I’m not on the same page, looking after my nephew lol

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
It’s as though something was left loose and the tracking got lost when you left, the first time.

Apologies if I’m not on the same page, looking after my nephew lol
The camber bolts were set up on the ramp then torqued off it, so maybe knocked it as they're quite sensitive? My brother just leaned into it on the ramp and got it FT which is a million times better

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
The camber bolts were set up on the ramp then torqued off it, so maybe knocked it as they're quite sensitive? My brother just leaned into it on the ramp and got it FT which is a million times better

Leaned into it?

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
So the camber bolt they set up at 2.05 was lose when you drove off then
It was tightened on the ramp as best he could, then he took it off the ramp took the wheels off and torqued it up. I suggested getting it back onto the ramp to recheck but was told it would be fine as he said the bolt didn't move.

Seems he was wrong.

I'm happy the back end is reasonably straight now. Is it worth me getting a shim or na?

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
Butting in here, if you don’t mind.......does negative toe indicate toe out?