ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alignment

PH2 172
I have recently just fitted 10mm spacers on the backend, but they were 2nd hand. I checked and I'm sure they didn't have any camber, surely it'd be fairly obvious? The edge would visible chamfer off?

Thanks for the help so far everyone. I've got a stub on the way too.

I`ve got 10mm spacers with one degree, and to be honest, it`s not that obvious when you fit them.
I had to confirm what I thought was the chamfer with a micrometer.

PH2 172
I have recently just fitted 10mm spacers on the backend, but they were 2nd hand. I checked and I'm sure they didn't have any camber, surely it'd be fairly obvious? The edge would visible chamfer off?

Thanks for the help so far everyone. I've got a stub on the way too.

Actually when you look at it, the out the box rear neg camber is 1.30, and you have a LH 1 degree reading in advance of 1.30, and a RH reading 1 degree reading short of 1.30.
Reckon you need to rotate the RH spacer 180 degrees.

I`ll be interested to see if the LH toe remains the same once you replace the stub, or if you assemble it without the 10mm spacers, everything is magically bang on OE spec.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Actually when you look at it, the out the box rear neg camber is 1.30, and you have a LH 1 degree reading in advance of 1.30, and a RH reading 1 degree reading short of 1.30.
Reckon you need to rotate the RH spacer 180 degrees.

I`ll be interested to see if the LH toe remains the same once you replace the stub, or if you assemble it without the 10mm spacers, everything is magically bang on OE spec.

I'll get the shims off on Wednesday night then have a look at getting it back onto alignment.

I won't do any harm running as is? Just a slightly odd tyre wear? I won't be doing thousands of miles before I get it sorted anyway.

t90_lle

East of England
ClioSport Area Rep
@Louis' has the car been sorted yet? I received my camber bolts and new rear rear arb today and am looking for setup info.
I thought about going 1.5degrees and 10mins toe out which apparently tried and tested but wanted to see how you getting on with it.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
4FA69879-33B4-4731-B58B-F3BD485E6D4A.png

This works well on the road mate

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
The car feels great as is, but obviously the rear is reducing the overall feel. I'm yet to sort it out at the back, but for now it's great. Only expecting better once the backs sorted.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
On the road, you won't feel much difference with the back end adjusted IMO.

The rear just get's dragged round on these.

You'd have to dial in some toe out on the rear to get it moving around at road pace and tbh that would be a bit sketchy.

On Alignment has anyone used supertracker equipment? Had mine done recently and only realised after arguing with the guy that the toe is in mm not minutes, lol. For reference for anyone using supertracker 10min of toe equates to 0.80mm. Mine's now running -0.80mm either side so -20min total and its a beast on track, horrendous on the road!

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Well... I have taken apart the NSR, and found that the spacer is indeed cambered. This is a relief in the fact that nothing else is bent (hopefully) but also annoying as I will have to buy some new 10mm rear shims. I can only presume this was causing my toe in.

On measuring the shim it's 10mm - 8.5mm (ish). What sort of degree is this? Does this correlate to exactly what I saw in my alignment?

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Well... I have taken apart the NSR, and found that the spacer is indeed cambered. This is a relief in the fact that nothing else is bent (hopefully) but also annoying as I will have to buy some new 10mm rear shims. I can only presume this was causing my toe in.

On measuring the shim it's 10mm - 8.5mm (ish). What sort of degree is this? Does this correlate to exactly what I saw in my alignment?
That's a result then eh! Use a bit of trigonometry to work out what angle it is. If you want flat ones kam sell pure ones for a fiver less than pure do.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
That's a result then eh! Use a bit of trigonometry to work out what angle it is. If you want flat ones kam sell pure ones for a fiver less than pure do.
I was thinking about trig for it. Just seems the camber and toe is out on the NSR so surely this will only solve one of those issues rather than both?

PH2 172

If it was fitted so it reduced the negative camber I would say 1 degree?
If it was, unless you want to retain the factory camber figure, simply reverse it so that you end up with - 2.30 ish on both rears?
Get the geo done again, and sort out the toe from there.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
If it was fitted so it reduced the negative camber I would say 1 degree?
If it was, unless you want to retain the factory camber figure, simply reverse it so that you end up with - 2.30 ish on both rears?
Get the geo done again, and sort out the toe from there.
I'm unsure how it was positioned as it dropped out annoyingly. I had thought it was fitted so that I had toe in? But do you not agree?
My toe may be another problem altogether?

PH2 172
I'm unsure how it was positioned as it dropped out annoyingly. I had thought it was fitted so that I had toe in? But do you not agree?
My toe may be another problem altogether?
If I remember correctly, you were unaware that the spacers were angled.
Looking at the figures, my bet would be that it was reducing the negative camber, but if you want to get a true picture, reassemble it omitting the spacers.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
If I remember correctly, you were unaware that the spacers were angled.
Looking at the figures, my bet would be that it was reducing the negative camber, but if you want to get a true picture, reassemble it omitting the spacers.
Yeah completely unaware. I just used the gf's phone and it's saying they're around 1.7degrees but i dont know how accurate this is.

It's reassembled on one side without any shims, ill do the other side when it stops raining.

PH2 172
Yeah completely unaware. I just used the gf's phone and it's saying they're around 1.7degrees but i dont know how accurate this is.

It's reassembled on one side without any shims, ill do the other side when it stops raining.
Probably the best plan, mark the RH spacer before it drops on the floor, so you tell at what attitude it has been fitted at.
Sorry about post 67, I mistakenly thought you had stripped the RHR.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Probably the best plan, mark the RH spacer before it drops on the floor, so you tell at what attitude it has been fitted at.
Sorry about post 67, I mistakenly thought you had stripped the RHR.
The toe on the OSR is marginally in spec (?) so i'm expecting to see it providing camber over toe. We shall see, good plan on marking it.

Thanks for your help Steve!

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I just looked at this picture, and going off the markings on the spacer it leads me to think that it was in fact toeing in. No other side of the spacer looks like that.

37527366346_f83c2039f7_c-jpg.jpg

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Just went to halfords to pick up a 17mm deep socket, and the car doesn't pull left anymore! (Even with a 10mm spacer on the OSR). My steering wheel is off centre though 100% so needs tracking up again.

PH2 172
Just went to halfords to pick up a 17mm deep socket, and the car doesn't pull left anymore! (Even with a 10mm spacer on the OSR). My steering wheel is off centre though 100% so needs tracking up again.
Did you replace the stub?

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
As I've removed the rear spacers that had camber on causing the rear to be off, the lad from the garage who did my alignment seems to think they're going to want to charge me again as now all the front end will be out as the system uses the rear to calibrate the front?

Thing is, the steering wheel is off-centre, and was off-centre when I left the garage. I am booked in for this saturday morning, but if they're going to end up charging me again, i'd rather get some 10mm spacers on the back end and resolve a knocking noise i've got. Thoughts?

Doesn't make too much sense to me, as i'd have though the rear is the rear, and the front is the front. So regardless the front with 6 degrees of toe will always be that.