ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alignment wtf?

Just took my car for an alignment, asked for -2 camber and 5minutes toe out and got what's said on the print out. the guy said he could only get -1.5 Camber, but that reduced when he put in the toe settings. Now I'm confused cos I've paid £60 and have hardly any camber. Should he have kept on adjusting until the right settings were sorted??

Ps, I've got bilsteins, pms top mounts and camber bolts on a 172.

Attachments

• IMG_1263.JPG
    IMG_1263.JPG
    219.3 KB · Views: 130

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Take it back and ask for it to be adjusted if you haven't got what you asked for. You've asked for 2 degrees, and been told you could only get 1.5 and drove away with 1.
Assuming your camber bolts an accommodate 2 degrees, the eibach ones I have are up to 1.75

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Some garages allways say this, I assume because they can't be arsed with the hassle.

Is it a road car?

Thank so for the advice. I take it to get the right settings takes a bit more time to fine tune.

I'll be paying them a visit

PH2 172
Just took my car for an alignment, asked for -2 camber and 5minutes toe out and got what's said on the print out. the guy said he could only get -1.5 Camber, but that reduced when he put in the toe settings. Now I'm confused cos I've paid £60 and have hardly any camber. Should he have kept on adjusting until the right settings were sorted??
Ps, I've got bilsteins, pms top mounts and camber bolts on a 172.

One possible explanation is tie rods have become thread bound in the track rod ends before the toe setting was attained, and the neg camber was reduced so that the toe out could be achieved.
This could be because the wrong length inner tie rods have been fitted, or the track rod ends are after market & not threaded for the full length.
I'd go back for a more thorough description of the problem.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
You need a better garage.

I've got 2 degrees of camber on the front with 10 mins toe out. Not a problem at the place I go. I tell them what I want and they do it everytime.

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
For £60 quid you'd expect them to have done. A proper job. I recently went to A Line in Dudley and they charged £38. Could not recommend them enough and the staff were very knowledgeable and friendly.
It wasn't exactly round the corner for me either but well worth the travel.

Yeh I think it's laziness, when I called they said they'd look again next weekend. Most of the front end is relatively new, including the tie rods so hopefully there isn't anything else wrong.

It was miles out before tho..... haha I'll blame that for my spins at Mallory park two weekends ago

I'll remove a line for next time, I'm from worcester so would mind the trip for a good garage

Yeh I think it's laziness, when I called they said they'd look again next weekend. Most of the front end is relatively new, including the tie rods so hopefully there isn't anything else wrong.

It was miles out before tho..... haha I'll blame that for my spins at Mallory park two weekends ago

I'll remove a line for next time, I'm from worcester so would mind the trip for a good garage

obcuz

ClioSport Club Member
For £60 quid you'd expect them to have done. A proper job. I recently went to A Line in Dudley and they charged £38. Could not recommend them enough and the staff were very knowledgeable and friendly.
It wasn't exactly round the corner for me either but well worth the travel.

Another thumbs up for 'A-Line' in Dudley, proper place to get your car set-up, been there many times through work and with my own cars, mainly for simple tracking though, gets busy at times so worth a call first.

PH2 172
One possible explanation is tie rods have become thread bound in the track rod ends before the toe setting was attained, and the neg camber was reduced so that the toe out could be achieved.

This could be because the wrong length inner tie rods have been fitted,

My comment regarding the length of the inner tie rods was speculative, and I have since discovered that if you are offered a choice, the longer rods are the correct ones.
The correct OE kit ( inner tie rod & gaiter ) is part number 770147656 per side, with a total length of 330mm,or 315mm not including the thread that locates in the rack.
This is correct for PH2 172,172 Cup,182 & 182 with cup suspension pack.

-Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  172-E92 M3-ZT V8
I've heard good things about Total Control Racing in Tipton too mate which I'll be trying in a month or so.

They setup and race Clio cup cars apparently.

And the plot thickens.....
Just been told in the politest manner to f**k off from ebt in worcester. After the manager ask me to come back, but wasn't there
One guy said the camber bolts were turned as far as possible, then they made the toe adjustment. He said they won't go any further for neg camber, so doesn't know why I'm back.
Before I go to a-line to prove them wrong, and demand a refund, can someone tell me I've got it set up right. My Camber bolts are on the upper of two bolts on the strut, is this right?

Clio 182
I have the eibach bolts but I'd assume they are the same....run 2.5 degrees, on max negative camber just over 3 is achievable, with 10 minutes toe out.

Before adjustment the steering wheel wasn't straight, So when the steering wheel was straightened one wheel was toe out by 30-40 minutes and the other toe in 30-40 minutes. I think they set the camber at this point to max which was -1.5. They they changed the toe, and obviously didn't re-try the camber.
I'm heading up to a-line on Friday, hopefully they can sort it...... then I'll let rip at etb

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Doesn't surprise me with ETB, the one in Lydney is literally 200 yards down the road from me, I popped in to enquire about setting up front end camber and the guys looked at me as if I was speaking a foreign language. Safe to say I'm using somebody else for mine

fil_b

ClioSport Club Member
  172 FF and Fabia VRS
i use A Line alot and the minor issue i had after, they resolved no questions