ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Air Filter or Induction Kit

I’ve just been looking around at a few web sites and I noticed that K&N do air filter replacements as well as induction kits.

Would a direct replacement of the air filter make any difference, or would I need to go for a total induction kit to get any real benefit?

Dirty E91

Most people tend to go for the ITG panel filter(£44) or if theyre feeling flush go for the ITG Maxogen induction kit(£375).

Dunno if the K&N filters are any good in comparison.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

172 engines are a tight fit and run quite hot.So imho it would be best to go for a panel filter because it is close in the engin in its own box,away from the heat.An open induction will just suck in hot air.

If you are flush get a viper kit or groupe M induction kit.A panel could give you 3-4bhp for 44 quid.A viper may give you as much as 8-9 bhp for £250.Its alot extra for 4bhp,but its up to you

ian

Really, you should only go for an open induction kit for the noise in my experience of having them on all four of my past Clios. Open IKs (like K&N, Green etc) suck in any air that surrounds them - at speed this may be cool, but especially at lower speeds and in the summer itll be hot air (not good for power!).

The Viper or ITG Maxogen are essentially re-desgined airboxes, so they get around this problem - but then so does a replacement filter for the original airbox, at a much lower cost.

None of these options will give a noticeable power gain.

i use open ended induction kit as i dont notice any great power gains or losses with the kit i use. pulls a little better @ lower revs. but the best thing is the sound. sooooo bloody awsome. aint had the so called hot air porblems with it as of yet but will know this summer.

If then, say you choose a panel filter for the 172/182 could you reposition or replace/reposition its original cold air feed to achieve better airflow?

How easy would this be to do?

Would you be able to get an after market air feed to fit the original box??

Rob.

R

rich[182]

Id just get an ITG panel filter to start with, Ive just fitted mine and def improved throttle response especially from low revs, they are well made and about £40, couldnt be bothered going down the closed IK route, too many differences of opinion with varying results

On my 172 mk2 I tried open induction (To loud - No noticable power gains). I tried a Viper (Lot quiter, but a Ba$tard to get a good cold air feed). Finally I fitted a ITG panel filter, the car is now alot nicer to drive, quiter, and it seems more responsive.

So for what its worth I would go with the ITG.

Just fitted an ITG Panel also and i like it no massive gains but better throttle response .. Had a K&N 57i on and i lost power and it felt flat and the noise did my head in after a while ....

sounds like an ITG Panel Filter is a good place to start then. Do they fit into the exiting space in the car? and where is the best place to get one from?

R

rich[182]

literally replaces the OEM panel filter inside the airbox, like for like swap in less than 10 mins, I think ktec do them for about £40

what kind of 0-60 time improvements u get with the panel filter? and IK? Im thinking bout getting the panel filter as Im too lazy to fit a IK :oops:

R

rich[182]

hardly (if) any difference tbh, theres more to it than 0-60 stats imo

The std setup is by far the best in terms of filtration and cost effectiveness, the std setup even has a ducted cold air feed. What more could you want.

Its the placebo effect that makes all the people with aftermarket filters think they have good gains. Of course tuners will reccomend filters and the like its there living. Lots seem to make a really good living selling you stuff you dont need.

EVO VII

standard air filter is the best IMO.

on my GTT my standard filter setup was much better then my induction kit.. i did a test my charged temps dropped by about 15 degrees on my standard filter setup.

i know theres a difference one being turbocharged e.t.c but renault seems to be very good at designing induction systems.

the bloke who i spoke to who designs induction kits and race components says the standard renault air box is a peice of crap. he said it has to meny restrictions in the flow and that theirs no need for the 2 air ducts except to keep the noise down. he said that it wouldnt be hard @ all to better the performance of the standard box as its so naff.

R

rich[182]

Only my opinion but dont agree with the quality of the std 172 panel filter being the best, place it alongside the ITG nad theres no comparison, The filter on my black and decker sander is built better.
True the std airbox has a cold feed but under closer scrutiny its not all that, kink in pipe and butterfly assembly thing restricts airflow
ITG panel + new section of duct direct to the same area the std duct went to def improves throttle response from low revs and between gear pickup

Obviously all this will be backed up with differential pressure tests showing how bad the std one is, just because it has bends in it it dosnt mean its full of restrictions.

Oh and the std paper filter Will filter better than the aftermarket types.

Ive got a Piper cross induction filter, on a Hill power induction pipe with the under bumper scoop kit (cold air pipe direct onto filter), sounds ace & definately pulls harder. a bit mix & match, but does the job!

Silver 172 Mk2

I had a K&N induction kit on my 172. It sounded ace and pulled better, warm or cold day! The sound was awsome!! it deffinatly turned heads.

If you are really worried about hot air gettin in then im sure an aftermarket heat shield of some sort could be adapted.

R

rich[182]

couldnt give a flying f**k about pressure tests, in fact couldnt give one about anything even ITG claim, all I know and care about is that its made my car have a better throttle response. simple as.
By definition a kink in a pipe results in a restriction that would otherwise not be apparent with the same pipe without a kink, simple as.

Quote: Originally posted by rich172 on 08 May 2005

couldnt give a flying f**k about pressure tests, in fact couldnt give one about anything even ITG claim, all I know and care about is that its made my car have a better throttle response. simple as.
By definition a kink in a pipe results in a restriction that would otherwise not be apparent with the same pipe without a kink, simple as.
Its a well known fact there bought for the increased noise anyway, like i said before the placebo effect.

EVO VII

if i had a aftermarket filter i would do an air temp test as i have a little device i made that measures charge temps which i used for my GTT :)

i bet the standard filter is as good, and with the spare £60+ in my wallet i might just go and put some petrol in my car ;)

hasnt anybody got any real proof of perfomrance gains with an aftermarket air filter? I cant believe it is that hard for someone to actually know if they make any different.

Surely someone has tested it on a track or a dyno or something!!

R

rich[182]

Quote: Originally posted by stu8v on 08 May 2005

Quote: Originally posted by rich172 on 08 May 2005

Its a well known fact there bought for the increased noise anyway, like i said before the placebo effect.
?? There is no increase in noise from a replacement panel filter, Believe me theres no-one on this forum more cynical than me when it comes to claims of improvements with any mods, Placebo effect does not apply to me in any shape or form, To say Im difficult to please and choosy is an understatement. ITG panel filter has made a difference, My wife didnt know (nor cares) about any mods but even shed noticed the throttle response and looking at things from your point of view then her perception unlike mine cannot be put down to knowing the mod exists.

Right. that settles it. Im going to get an ITG panel filter (Thanks rich172). Which model / product code do I need mate?

Quote: Originally posted by bsimmer3000 on 06 May 2005

the bloke who i spoke to who designs induction kits and race components says the standard renault air box is a peice of crap. he said it has to meny restrictions in the flow and that theirs no need for the 2 air ducts except to keep the noise down. he said that it wouldnt be hard @ all to better the performance of the standard box as its so naff.

whats this mean about 2 air ducts too keep the noise down?

if it had one( the other one closed) wouldnt it be quiter still?

JUST A THOUGHT how come a closed induction kit like a viper produces more power and noise than a standard air box with a ITG pannel in, when their acting on the same principles?

he said its something to do with sound wave lengths and the 2 smaller ducts are used as it produces less sound than a single larger duct. makes sense really.

i.e the car by law on idle has to be below a certain db level or some bullsh*t like that and from what i have heard. this level in france is really low. so all french cars have naff air boxes as standard to keep noise levels down.

easy fix for that. take it out.