ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Air con pipe replacement

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
How hard/easy is it? Do you have to take the bumper off?

I have a very small hole on the smaller of the two air con pipes caused by a plastic bit of clip rubbing against it grrrrrrr

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers.

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped

Hmm, not sure on that STEVE.M but here's a pic!

I think No. 1 smaller of the two pipes.

20180528_164835.jpg

20180528_164826.jpg

Last edited:

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
No 1 it is.

Bumper removal is quite simple in theory, unless it`s not been disturbed since 2004.

View attachment 1368147

Bumper hasn't been off since I bought it in 2004! So the bumper has to come off then 100%? can't do it without??

Do you or anyone else know what else is involved? is it straight forward once the bumper is off?

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
Bumper does not need to come off to do the belts.

Garage did the belts so I wouldn't know 100% either way to be honest!!

Can anyone answer my original question please as I don't have a clear idea of work involved yet!! and I am curious to know now.

Cheers!

PH2 172
Garage did the belts so I wouldn't know 100% either way to be honest!!

Can anyone answer my original question please as I don't have a clear idea of work involved yet!! and I am curious to know now.

Cheers!

Yes, you will have to remove the bumper to release the slam panel.

Every picture tells a story.

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
Yes, you will have to remove the bumper to release the slam panel.

Every picture tells a story.

Ok, cheers STEVE.M.

I was rather hoping there was a guide tucked away somewhere but alas not after looking.

Once the bumper off is it relatively easy job to do? I see one bolt to undo but not much else - bumper is hiding others I presume.

I may even do a guide If I get to do this myself to help others!

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
Final bump on this.

Once the bumper is off, is it a case of simply undoing a couple of bolts to get the pipe out?

I promise I'll leave this thread once I get the answer to this ?

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Not too sure about the pipe “just coming off”

Some are pressed in fittings and require the whole length from the bulkhead to the condenser, I know when I broke a dCi not too long ago the AC lines were a faff and I ended up pulling them to get them out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PH2 172
Final bump on this.

Once the bumper is off, is it a case of simply undoing a couple of bolts to get the pipe out?

I promise I'll leave this thread once I get the answer to this ?

There is a single nut at the expansion valve and a single bolt on the receiver dryer, with a couple of supporting brackets along the way.
But this a 14 year old car, so don`t expect anything to be simple.
Once you get the bumper & slam panel off, you will probably find this.

Attachments

• 15-09-13 CLIO OLD RADS 4.jpg
    15-09-13 CLIO OLD RADS 4.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 85
  • 15-09-13 CLIO OLD RADS 1.jpg
    15-09-13 CLIO OLD RADS 1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 93

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
Bump.

I had it regassed today and it went pete tong!

I JB welded it thought great, put under pressure and booom went everywhere!!

Bad week for no air con too, back to square one -fitting a new pipe, worth a try though.

182FF - Land Rover
Just replaced that pipe on mine. Garage damaged the pipe whilst replacing the rad and condenser whilst doing the belts as they looked like the corroded horror above. They had JB welded it and then it leaked.
Bumper comes off easy, follow a guide on here or YouTube. Unbolt slam panel (easy).
Long extension and female torx socket to unbolt pipe from the dryer canister. Pig to get at. I replaced the dryer (22 quid of ebay) pig to get at but the ally was corroded around the orings seals. Pipe comes away easy, but the new aircon orings were hard to source. Go to garage that does lots of aircon work and get them matched. They are special green ones.
Fitting the dryer was a fiddle and refitting the two pipes with orings to the dryer was a blind assembly!
The top connection near the bulkhead was a doddle,
Regas at garage after leak check and pray.
Mines great now.

182FF - Land Rover
Use some of the oil that comes out of the pipes/system to lube up the new orings so they slip in and don't pinch/snag and leak!

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
mine failed the groupon regas offer when i took it to ATS
Is it worth looking for a leak- or bit of a nightmare
They said it seemed pretty well ruptured as they could smell the gas instantaneously

406 V6, Race Buggy
:D

Yes, JB weld isn't going to work on a pressurised ac pipe. Even if it lasted to start with the refrigerant would have degraded it anyway, you need to either swap the pipe, have someone solder/braze over the hole, or have a repair piece let in.