ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Air con leak

RB 182
I took my car to get the air con re gassed at halfords a couple of months ago. They didn't test it for leaks first and I only had air con for a day :( I took it somewhere to get checked for leaks and he said it was leaking by the compressor connector. I've just taken the pipe off and the seal is like this -

e57428747767587551412610d93a48ef.jpg

Do you reckon that would be enough the cause the leak? The seal basically fell apart when I went to take it off. If so, I'll order the new seal from Renault and then take it somewhere different to be re gassed where they'll leak test it first.

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
Take it to halfords and tell them to do it for free.. I believe part of the service is to check it for leaks, partly because it's illegal to let it vent into the air, therefore them not checking the pressure holds is surely.....fking stupid..

RB 182
I don't have the receipt or anything now so I'm assuming they won't? I did phone them up after it was done and said it wasn't working any more and they basically said tough s**t we can't do anything about it.

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
I don't have the receipt or anything now so I'm assuming they won't? I did phone them up after it was done and said it wasn't working any more and they basically said tough s**t we can't do anything about it.

Hunt down and email the head office/Md, say what branch it was and that they fobbed you off.. Tell them that you paid for it to be filled and checked and they turned you over..

You don't have to explain you've fixed the leak, just say you want them to do the job again and do it correctly..

@car.crash on here would get a free refil, a refund, dinner and hand job off the regional manager..

Give them hell, you paid and they reemed you, it costs them next to fk all to do the job again..

RB 182
Hunt down and email the head office/Md, say what branch it was and that they fobbed you off.. Tell them that you paid for it to be filled and checked and they turned you over..

You don't have to explain you've fixed the leak, just say you want them to do the job again and do it correctly..

@car.crash on here would get a free refil, a refund, dinner and hand job off the regional manager..

Give them hell, you paid and they reemed you, it costs them next to fk all to do the job again..

I'll give it a go, no harm in trying I suppose :)

RB 182
Right I've been into Renault and got the pack of new aircon o rings to sort this pipe out where the leak was. The person in there seems to think that the orange seal thingy that was on the pipe isn't needed, it just needs one of the o rings. Does that sound right?

I put one of the o rings on, but when I put the pipe back in, it doesn't feel very tight? Have I done it right?

e18584a861e038ef16fc9ab90fc57807.jpg

Megane 225 f1
You only need the big orange seal. Before you put the pipe back in smear some new engine oil on the seal. This ensures the seal dosen't get damaged when refitting

RB 182
The big orange seal is broken so I'm guessing that's why it was leaking. Can't seem to find a replacement though and Renault just had the o rings?

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172

Did you pay on credit card ? If you did you can take it up with them if no joy at halfrauds ! They should still have the invoice on file soo they can't say tough sh** !

Megane 225 f1
Have you tried renault
The big orange seal is broken so I'm guessing that's why it was leaking. Can't seem to find a replacement though and Renault just had the o rings?

Have you tried renault wolverhampton? They did come as a kit a few years ago.

E46 M3
I don't know what equipment halfords use but some test for leaks with a vacuum not under pressure. This can suck leaking seals together so they pass the leak test. As soon as there is pressure in the system is leaks.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
You have to buy 2 seal kit's, one kit contains the O ring's that you already have.
The other kit contains the orange seals that your after.

You end up with far to many seals for what you need.

I replaced all of the seals on my PH1 air conditioning so I have a lot of these seals left.

RB 182
Thanks guys!!

I managed to get the other kit of brown seals from Renault today with the part number. Does the pipe just need the bigger brown seal on it, or does it need one of the smaller o rings as well? I tried it with both but couldn't get the pipe all the way back in so just used the bigger one.

Got it booked in to get regassed on thursday so fingers crossed the leak is fixed now!

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Thanks guys!!

I managed to get the other kit of brown seals from Renault today with the part number. Does the pipe just need the bigger brown seal on it, or does it need one of the smaller o rings as well? I tried it with both but couldn't get the pipe all the way back in so just used the bigger one.

Got it booked in to get regassed on thursday so fingers crossed the leak is fixed now!

Pipes have an O ring or the larger seal.

Not both.