ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Air con delete is it worth doin

clio 172
Im tempted to remove the air con now is there any real point will i gain much weight reduction. Also which is the best kit to go for. Cheers

Clio 182 BG
You can use some R5 parts to do it.

82 00 031 832 upper alternator mount
77 00 718 613 lower adjustable mount to tension the belt
77 03 101 094 long screw for alternator

you also need a smaller belt like a 5pk825, i think that was a R19 one.

Its much cheaper than buying a kit ;)

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
You can use some R5 parts to do it.

82 00 031 832 upper alternator mount
77 00 718 613 lower adjustable mount to tension the belt
77 03 101 094 long screw for alternator

you also need a smaller belt like a 5pk825, i think that was a R19 one.

Its much cheaper than buying a kit ;)

Do you know prices for these parts?

Clio 16v 'YOJ'
I have a brand new pure motorsport AC Delete kit for sale inc the belt and altenator pulley - pm me? :)

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
My Cups always felt like the engine revved more freely to the red line. Maybe it just me but they loved to be driven hard compared to the Ph2 172's I've owned.

No it's not worth it.

You might gain a couple of horsepower but your testicles will melt in the summer, and no one will want to buy it once you realise you've ruined a perfectly normal car.

whoever needs aircon in this country, fairies!

The PMS kit is very simple doesnt seem worth the money, but youre paying for the R&D not the finished product. I'd only remove the compressor if it was broken though tbh, there is very little resistance on the pulley when you spin it by hand but i guess you do save a few KG's

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
It can be done cheap, there's several cheaper ways to do it!

havent had air con in both my clios, can't say I miss it! Though I don't do many miles in it.

Cheapest way? :)

Roy, not sure if you live in the UK or not but i think the hottest its been with me is probably about 25º. And an open window will do fine :)

I've done mine, but the cup set up cost me nothing as I was breaking a cup. Well I bought a new belt, so counts as a cheap aux belt change ;)

It's a decent weight saving, especially when your removing the AC heater box and puttin in a cup one. Must be 20kg+ and gives a lot more room in the engine bay.

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
What a lot of people seem to forget is the quoted 172 PS from Renault would have been with the engine on a Dyno with more than likely no alternator or auxilary parts running off the crank. Alternator, PAS & Aircon pumps all sap power from the engine. So a 172 cup will effectivley show more power at the wheels, although It will be marginal.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
its not worth it. Your aren't going to get any driver noticeable gains, except for heat in the summer! Air-con compressors only really put strain on then engine when in-use, not when idle.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
its not worth it. Your aren't going to get any driver noticeable gains, except for heat in the summer! Air-con compressors only really put strain on then engine when in-use, not when idle.

Depends on what the car is used for.

My 172 (track car/ weekend toy) is completly stripped out, so every bit of weight saving helps. You gain more power and cambelt/ aux belt changes are cheaper easier, and it frees up more space in the engine bay.

However I would never own a daily driver without AC fitted.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Maybe worth it for a weight saving and extra space but not so much a power gaining modification. You're going to drive around track with the AC on, well you might! But the AC only engages when is it activated, otherwise the pulley is just like an idler pulley.

There's quite a few components to the aircon and it'll all add up in weight. To make the most of the savings the heater box needs replacing too for a non AC version which someone posted a few posts up.

As in the other thread the about this linked in one of the earlier posts the bigger gain is from replacing the knackered alternator :)

You might get more of a power gain going for the EPAS than removing the AC if its just a couple of bhp you're after.

I like the aircon as it makes life much easier if you're stuck in traffic with the kids in the back!

If its because racecar then get rid of the AC and go EPAS.

Ph1
Removing air con:

Advantage:

Weight loss

Possibly a small performance gain / less belt drag

More engine bay space

Cheaper aux / cam belt change costs

Disadvantage

Might get sweaty on a summer day

The Beardo

ClioSport Club Member
  Kangoo 182
On the subject of removing air con system, what do people do with regards to the digital climate control, do they swap it over for a cup/ base model controller?

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Just my thoughts on these points plus a few more added...

Removing air con:

Advantage:

Weight loss - yep, 20Kg

Possibly a small performance gain / less belt drag - very small

More engine bay space - why is this an advantage?

Cheaper aux / cam belt change costs - why? aux belt change will be about the same price, I don't see how the cam belt comes into play?

Disadvantage

Might get sweaty on a summer day - unlikely in our country, just open the window, but it is nice on the odd summers day

No 'fast' front window demister (I use this often).

Limited/no climate control

Just thought...

If you use the r5 brackets...

That means getting rid of power steering....!?!?

I was told to get mk1 megane or mk1/2 laguna.
1.6 iirc?

​but I checked a couple of them a scrap yard and they either had ac or looked different so I don't know...

Just bought the cup set up for my Berg cup, easy enough 2 stick it back in if you keep the aircon s**t in the shed or summit

clio 172 ph2
think theres a guide on here somewhere. just done it on mine with a 1640 belt and an idler and some washers . cost me bout £30

Ph1
Just my thoughts on these points plus a few more added...

Cam belt changes used to be a fair bit cheaper although not sure what the exact difference in price is these days.

Auxiliary belt will be cheaper on the Cup. Just a belt needed no tensioner kit plus reduced labour times on this and cambelt work.

Or to sum it up, there is more advantage to removing than not but it all comes down to personal preference.