ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

After three RenaultSports.....

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Lovely car but my god winter mode looks bad. The standard wheels aren't £3000 BBS so I don't get why you've gone in to "winter mode"? lol

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Why go to the bother if winter wheels if you're going to clean and seal them??

Surely just clean and deal you other ones?

Saves the car looking dreadful too.

Mini JCW
Oh dear. Can't beat the CS clique.

- It's my first RWD car and as such I wanted to be sure i'm happy driving in winter, not just in snow / ice but also sub 7 degrees damp conditions.
- I respect the 'summer' wheels aren't anything special, but that wasn't the reason i've swapped them over - as per the above point.
- I am due to replace the runflats on the standard wheels, which would have cost me more than the wheels and tyres combined on this. I can get some non runlet PS3s or Conti Sport 5s at my leisure come March / April
- Please don't condescend nor stereotype me by using the term 'bad manz' - it just makes you look like you're baiting and childish
- They aren't polished, they're powder coated matt black
- This option is far more prevalent on Z4-Forum than here (because the ratio of RWD cars is greater i'd assume). But to call it bent is just plain insulting - though i'm sure no points will come your way.
- You might not like them aesthetically, that'a your opinion and I respect that
- The reason for sealing them, is that in winter i'll continue to clean the car once or twice a week and with Opti-Coat to be re-applied to the paintwork and the Dlux on the wheels - it'll make dirt a little easier to shift - which is welcome on the colder days.
- I will be buying some summer wheels next year, possibly genuine CSLs then i'll decide what to do with one set of wheels (or keep all 3).

Thankyou for the input and opinions.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
You live in derby not mont blanc @gex23 we might get 1 inch of snow for two nights if your lucky.

I just don't get winter wheels for 99% of the country.

Mini JCW
You live in derby not mont blanc @gex23 we might get 1 inch of snow for two nights if your lucky.

I just don't get winter wheels for 99% of the country.

As said, it's my first winter in my first RWD car - and while a lot on here think they're Sebastian Loeb / Fernando Alonso and Ayrton Senna all rolled into one - I don't. If it proves futile and they are unnecessary i'll just sell them next year - no bother.

I don't mind the input and opinions on here, it's the snide remarks and condescending putdowns that grate. Especially, from what i've seen in the mere 6 years i've been on here, among the more established members of the forum.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
I wasn't trying to be funny and for that I apologise.

I still don't get winter wheels though, but if they work for you then that's fine.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
If you're insulted by what I wrote you need to get off the internet. I asked why. Plus I called vag boys bad manz but even said why they do it is fair.

Both wheels take the same size tyres but as you say its your choice.

Oh and ive had plenty of powerful rwd cars in winter and never had an issue. Don't think its going to kill you. Just take care.

roberto.

ClioSport Club Member
  S4 Avant
I like them. The MV1s really suit it. IMO I don't see the problem with winter wheels. I've considered a set for my 330, but that's only because I need new rears at the minute anyway.

I think they would look great in anthracite or fresh silver.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
As said, it's my first winter in my first RWD car - and while a lot on here think they're Sebastian Loeb / Fernando Alonso and Ayrton Senna all rolled into one - I don't. If it proves futile and they are unnecessary i'll just sell them next year - no bother.

I don't mind the input and opinions on here, it's the snide remarks and condescending putdowns that grate. Especially, from what i've seen in the mere 6 years i've been on here, among the more established members of the forum.
You've got a bee in your bonnet for NO reason what so ever.
3 or 4 people have said they don't like the wheels on your car for whatever reason. (my reason is, I think they look shat)
And by this you have determined that we all think we're amazing drivers and we are a 'clique' , being condescending and offering put downs??

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
@gex23 chill out dude! If your happy with them why get steamed up about what other people think?

I also don't think they look great but if you're happy with them that's all that matters really.

Mini JCW
I wasn't trying to be funny and for that I apologise.

I still don't get winter wheels though, but if they work for you then that's fine.

I know, it wasn't specifically aimed at you. No need to apologise :smile:

They'll probably be off in the summer, when I use the winter tyres on the original alloys and have nice summers. Love the look of BBS CHs / Apex EC7 and CCW LM20 splits. Probably stick with 18s in staggered offset, along with spacers and either eibach springs or KW coilovers.

If you're insulted by what I wrote you need to get off the internet. I asked why. Plus I called vag boys bad manz but even said why they do it is fair.

Both wheels take the same size tyres but as you say its your choice.

Oh and ive had plenty of powerful rwd cars in winter and never had an issue. Don't think its going to kill you. Just take care.

Fair enough, I understand your POV. This has only got 261 hp so not 'powerful' but enough to make me be careful.

As above, if I decide not to keep the MV1s i'll swap the winters onto the OE wheels and get some splits for summer in the same dimensions.

I like them. The MV1s really suit it. IMO I don't see the problem with winter wheels. I've considered a set for my 330, but that's only because I need new rears at the minute anyway.

I think they would look great in anthracite or fresh silver.

Cheers Rob - that's part of the reason I went for them, as for the price they were cheaper than just summer tyres alone (which I nearly bought).

You've got a bee in your bonnet for NO reason what so ever.
3 or 4 people have said they don't like the wheels on your car for whatever reason. (my reason is, I think they look shat)
And by this you have determined that we all think we're amazing drivers and we are a 'clique' , being condescending and offering put downs??

'No reason whatsoever'.

No Daniel - the reason I reacted the way I did was the nature of the remarks. Which has been aptly demonstrated in your latest offering - instead of 'they don't suit it' or 'wouldn't be my choice' you chose 'I think they look shat'.

There's no denying there ARE very obvious cliques on CS - not saying it's unique to this forum as it really isn't - but it's far more obvious on here.

@Sunglasses_Ron - I've not gone on a rant, i've maintained a calm demeanour and clarified what I felt were unnecessary comments. I don't see anything wrong with that?

Last edited:

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Oh and just to clear something up apart from the winter wheels your car is stunning mate. Genuinely. I'd love one of these.

I don't mind them to be fair. I hate black wheels in general but I see why you wanted to do it.

If you can afford a set of winter tyres and a set of wheels to use with them, fair enough IMO.

Although, if your 'summer wheels' are run flats, I would have just kept the summer wheels and put winter tyres onto them!

Mini JCW
Oh and just to clear something up apart from the winter wheels your car is stunning mate. Genuinely. I'd love one of these.

Cheers Ron - Still debating a nice set of summer wheels coupled with a drop and spacers next year.

I don't mind them to be fair. I hate black wheels in general but I see why you wanted to do it.

If you can afford a set of winter tyres and a set of wheels to use with them, fair enough IMO.

Although, if your 'summer wheels' are run flats, I would have just kept the summer wheels and put winter tyres onto them!

Cheers Matthew - They'd look better spaced out and with less arch gap - something I aim to resolve next year.

Summers will be on non run flats next year, either Continental Sport Contact 5s or Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

Decided to get a bit of protection on the paint. Two layers of RacegGlaze '55' and finished with Optimum Instant Detailer :

15697475449_52b0f9b27d.jpg
Z4 Bonnet by DEAF N1NJA, on Flickr

15882861922_39cb7cef9f.jpg
Z4 Beading by DEAF N1NJA, on Flickr

15881529451_3a18df25ee.jpg

15881523711_96790ea812.jpg

Beading not as tight or tall as normal as it's done a few miles since the clean.

Listerine & Poledo
Winter wheels with winter tyres > y0 mad sik unexpected-drift lol ditch/wall interface sessions

Listerine & Poledo
no no, totally legitimate post.

I'd rather have self-proclaimed car afficionados (aka web warriors) tell me about how my wheel/rubber combo is worthless and makes my car look waff (these being the same warriors who drive sheds that wouldn't sell on a forecourt for £2k, but they know best).

Rather that than hitting that big ol' icy puddle, and turning a decent car into a breakers-yard moneybox

Mini JCW
no no, totally legitimate post.

I'd rather have self-proclaimed car afficionados (aka web warriors) tell me about how my wheel/rubber combo is worthless and makes my car look waff (these being the same warriors who drive sheds that wouldn't sell on a forecourt for £2k, but they know best).

Rather that than hitting that big ol' icy puddle, and turning a decent car into a breakers-yard moneybox

Totally agree with the last part - it's worth it purely for peace of mind. Once the initial expense is paid, they should see me through 2 / 3 winters too. As will be working a lot of nights it'll be worth it as when I drive home the roads will be that much colder too.

Monaro VXR
Perfectly get winter wheels. Even more so on something somewhat powerful an rear drive.

Been trying to find some reasonably priced 18" E46 wheels to stick on my Monaro for winter wheels, don't want staggered though. They will look s**t. However, trying to put 400hp down through wide low profile 19" Pilot super sports just doesn't work when conditions get bad. It's my daily as well so will be getting used in the snow if we get some.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Woah your comments have been edited on here just a bit. Nice to see you've ditched the pressed plates. :)

Says the man with a car which wouldn't sell for 2k..x

Nissan 350z
gex out of interest where did you source/fit the tyres? I'm tempted by camskills prices but I dont have any means of then transporting 4 delivered tyres to get them fitted. My mate swears by Speedys (London Rd) but im not convinced.

Mini JCW
Pressed plates ditched. Black grilles ordered - not popular but I really don't like the look of the stock grilles. Eibach springs to be ordered soon - just concerned it may void the BMW AUC warranty?

@wozzaa - Sounds decent - love VXRs!

@Goodj - Wasn't sure if you meant it sarcastically or not, my apologies

@Sargara - They came fitted to the wheels, bought as pretty much new on the Z4 forum. P.S - PM me again chap and we'll organise a day or two to get your paintwork sorted. I wouldn't touch Speedys in Derby with a bargepole - the amount of obvious drug dealers cars that come and go from that place puts me right off. Check out ETS Derby, i'd recommend them chap.

@Tom - Pressed plates gone yep! I didn't edit any of my comments, must have been a Mod.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Lovely car mate, big fan. My old man has a 3.0si too, any excuse to drive it when I'm round there!

Did you ever get round to doing the backbox chop? His came with it but he's had it put back to standard, still got the parts for it I believe though.

Mini JCW
Cheers @Luke. It's my daily but I still enjoy it on random drives etc - still only sitting at 25k miles too :)

No I didn't, seems it leads to a loss of power which put me off.

Tempted to remove the foam from the song generator valve for a bit more noise though.

Mini JCW
Cheers. It'll certainly a little less try hard on the stock wheels or whatever summers I go for. Eibachs are going on in spring.

Also got these, again I guess most will detest them, but I dislike the chrome grilles

10172777_10152497544192006_1602213023835359335_n.jpg

Listerine & Poledo
It is starting down the road of being something of a badmanz dispensary-on-wheels.
:coldsweat:

Mini JCW
The wheels are temporary as I said - black on black on black is a bit much. On silver wheels it'll look good I hope. If not, only £50 lost, no biggy.

Nearly out of RG55 wax now, tempted to try some Zymol Glasur this time round.

Listerine & Poledo
Yeah......I can't work out if that looks any better or worse.
Maybe not silver, but, IMO, there's now too much black. Maybe a gunmetal / ampersand grille?
As for the plate.....3/4 sticky plate on an offset is your way forward ;)

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Clean plates would help a lot. Have you got any other pics to show a before/after? I know it's kind of simple to imagine but still..

Mini JCW
Well I was expecting far worse feedback than this! Sometimes I think it looks a bit 'Bradford' but sometimes I don't. No more black going on, will leave all the badges etc chrome and the stock BMW logos on.

@TomSx
15904928166_6a2e2f1b38.jpg
DSC_0115 by DEAF N1NJA, on Flickr

@ian 182 - Millicent's classy so she probably hates the look.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I prefer the black grills tbh. Probably looks a bit bradistan spec with the black wheels but we wont go there! lol! Plus it's only for winter.