ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

After Market Steering Wheel and CC

My trusty lil 182 :)
I ended up making a little switch panel for mine and fitting the buttons richy found back on p1. just need to wire it up now but not going to have chance for a while.

Excuse the poor quality phone pics:
SP_A0571.gif

SP_A0573.gif

SP_A0574.gif

3mm perspex. I might redo it I think; because the buttons are smaller than I thought the panel looks a bit strange. Any luck on wiring your's up yet?

Bumder With A Buffer
Oh very nice Kevin :)

Inferno yours looks good. Good shout about the logitech wheel. Might be worth a bash!

Edit Kevin what wheel is that your using? Smaller than the standard boat wheel?!

182 Cup
No joy as yet, still waiting for a mate to have a look at the wiring side of things for me. I'll give him a nudge.

Bumder With A Buffer
well between 2.7 and 3.3 ohm. I got some you can have if you want? just pay postgae (38p!)

Thanks for the offer fella I'll just pop over to maplin later will be quicker. Also does is matter which way round the legs are inserted to the plugs? I'm not exactly up to speed with electronics so I don't know if they're directional, lol.

Bumder With A Buffer
Na Resistors are bi-directional they work anyway round :)

Ask for a 3ohm resistor ideally a 1/4watt one

(Dont say what one! ;) )

182 Cup
Speaking of resistors...

My electronics friend had a look at the set up for me tonight, he wasn't 100% on the circuit boards so wanted to see what was on the back of them, so out they came. The green is the R/O switch, the red is the +/- switch...

Picture077.jpg

Picture074.jpg

Picture075.jpg

Picture076.jpg

Both circuits are different and they appear to have resitors in them. He's pretty sure that he can make it happen, but he's going back to have a think before we move things forward. Keep you posted.

Bumder With A Buffer
Ahh all the resistors are doing is pulling the voltage down to ground it seems. They are different because the ecu will be looking for different voltages to. The R/O is like an on/off yes?? Hence why that one shares the same value resistor.

The Red one has different values as id imagine the ecu take below 6v for speed up and over 6v for speed down (or something like that)

The thing that interests me is on the bottom picture above... all of the holes and the 2 vias (smaller holes) have a track on them which looks like it goes around the board to the other side..but they dont! Where do they go? In fact its the same on the green pcb.

Speaking of resistors...

My electronics friend had a look at the set up for me tonight, he wasn't 100% on the circuit boards so wanted to see what was on the back of them, so out they came. The green is the R/O switch, the red is the +/- switch...

Both circuits are different and they appear to have resitors in them. He's pretty sure that he can make it happen, but he's going back to have a think before we move things forward. Keep you posted.

Be interested to see the outcome of yours before i start wiring stuff in and hopng for the best!

Kevin what wheel is that your using? Smaller than the standard boat wheel?!

It's a sparco wheel, 320mm i think just sprayed up to match the rest of the car :)

Bumder With A Buffer
I ended up making a little switch panel for mine and fitting the buttons richy found back on p1. just need to wire it up now but not going to have chance for a while.

Excuse the poor quality phone pics:

On a serious note if you wanted to send me the stuff id whack it all together for you? Wont charge you anything for it.

i've still not got my old wheel off :eek: If the offer still stands when I eventually get round to it I may well take you up on sorting the electrics :)

182 Cup
Sorry guys, just haven't had time! I think this weekend is the last one that's booked out for a while, so after that there should be some progress.

182 Cup
Ok, sorry this it taking a while. I've decided that going with aftermarket buttons isn't the way I'm going to go.

I'm going to try and use the original buttons with different covers. Unfortunately this will probably mean a bit of fabrication and therefore time.

182 Cup

Indeed. And now I think I may have an even lazier plan. It goes a little like this...

Take the large OE unit...

Untitled-1-1.jpg

Trim the body and the switch cover to make it more compact...

Untitled-2-1.jpg

Cut a groove for the wires to sit in, and file down a circular section to make it flush...

Untitled-3-1.jpg

And mount to the rear of the wheel...

Picture073-1.jpg

Then all I'd have to do it mark the front of the wheel with decals so I know what the buttons lurking behind actually do.

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be seen at all when in the driver's seat. The only downside is that they won't be in very easy reach, but for the amount of times they are used I don't see that as an issue.

Now all I need is a good way of attaching the plastic mounts to the metal wheel. I'm thinking the only option would be to bond it with some sort of adhesive?

182 Cup
It's getting closer. I've been off sick(ish) and therefore there is progress.

The brackets have been re-shaped:
Picture074-1.jpg

Picture077-1.jpg

Picture078.jpg

Picture083.jpg

And it's been trial fitted for positioning behind the wheel:

Picture084.jpg

Picture085.jpg

Picture086.jpg

Now all I need is some epoxy adhesive (I think), some electrical tape to tidy up the wires, some decals made up (post-it notes will make do in the mean time!) and to remove the wheel for fitting.

Before I mount it permanently I'll be testing all the functions again on the road. So maybe this could be up and running in a week or so (hangovers dependant).

RB 182
What makes contact with the pcb? does the switch just have an in-built spring mechanism each end to self level?

I was thinking about this the other day... might knock something up on CAD and then get it prototyped. Wouldn't cost much as it's a small lightweight component!

182 Cup
What makes contact with the pcb? does the switch just have an in-built spring mechanism each end to self level?

The little grey rubber membraine makes contact with the PCB and also acts as the spring mechanism, the small black arms are to maintain position. See pics...

Picture065.jpg

Picture066.jpg

Picture067.jpg

Bumder With A Buffer
Not entirely true about the grey membrane bit (well in a way iit is!)

Inside the grey switch membrane is a black conductive disk (cant remember what its made of!) that when pressed down onto the pcb makes the contact and is picked up by the ecu.

Like you knew though you can use any form of switch in place of those ones providing its a momentary switch. You could knock that whole set-up into something easily...you just have to use the correct resistors ,as each signal is different.

Interestingly after re-looking at the pics with the resistors showing I think I could draw up a schematic for this in about 5minutes when I have time/can be arsed! People could use and make there own??

Although I would like to get my hands on the whole loom so I could be sure of whats going on.

RB 182
Any reason why a standard push button cannot be used on the front of the wheel with this behind it?

Could simply unscrew the wiring end of the push button and stick this "conductive disk" on (if needed). Then simple case of designing a housing that will hold the pcb onto the back of the wheel and directly under the two swithces?

Would be interested to see what richy22 could do, so make some time please ;)

Bumder With A Buffer
Have a read back through the thread...we found some half decent "momentary switches" which is what you need. You cant use a SPST type switch it HAS to be a momentary one.

Just a case of finding the right switch for a decent price really!

Or.... design a housing as you say and use all the guts membrane etc.. IN fact I just realized I got something almost perfect for this I saw at work the other day

RB 182
Got some of these in the post today thanks to _Nero_

I don't see any reason why you cant solder a normal push buttons onto each half of the contact pad (on the pcb)? It's simply a connection from the rubber disc that makes them work after all...

Anyway, will take it into work tomorrow and see what the others say. :)

CLIO 182
Argh such an annoying end to a great thread!!! Conclusion = sack of cruise control and live without it lol was soon keen on having them fitted to an aftermarket wheel is it really worth it? Loved the idea of hiding em behind the wheel!! Great idea!!!

E46 M3
There's loads of details of what to do on here. It's a piece of piss if you can work a multi meter.

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
won't drilling the spoken weaken them? (ie in case of a crash)

other than that looks like a good mod to do on my car, I need the weheel to come towards me just a little to get the driving position perfect. (any idea how much a the mount brings the weheel out?)

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
yep indeed very easy, did mine today, for a different way that ive not seen if you dont mind pulling apart your original switches you can get it to work easily and dont have to go hunting resistors