ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

After Market Steering Wheel and CC

Bumder With A Buffer
^^ What more do you need to know other then they use momentary switches?! The overall workings of the unit are irrelevant from there on in as you just keep all the internals and just replace the membrane type switches with normal panel mounted ones. The hardest part is making it all neat and aesthetically pleasing.

182 Cup
Hmmm you seen how much those APEM ones are?! Not cheap for the type you would want.

Im guessing you want something thats got a red button in keeping with the Momo theme? Ideally you NEED a Panel mounted switch with a black securing ring... il go have a gander at some places I know and use and link a few up for ya.....brb!

Red, black anything that looks good and fits a flush as possible. I don't mind paying for quality either.

182 Cup
If someone wants to post me one i can give you the 100% low down on how it works, and can supply suitable switches to replace them also. Been in electronics for years, this should hopefully be simple!

Post? I'm in Kent chap! Near Maidstone to be precise - you anywhere near?

Focus ST-2
I'd love it if one of the steering wheel makers picked up on this as they'd make a fortune just off people on here alone!

182 Cup
8mm was a guideline. To be fair, if those first ones had a round bezel they would have been purchased by now! The 9mm actuator is close enough!

Bumder With A Buffer
Na youd need 2 lots of them though although that would be ideal something like that.

I got some of those at work so il have a look tomorrow.

Bumder With A Buffer
Am I right in thinking you'l also need to be wary of depth of switches? I have never seen a Momo wheel so dont know how much room is behind it... at a guess 20-30mm??

182 Cup
I don't think depth will be much of a problem, there's plenty of room behind, but I'm keen to keep everything as flush as possible, in a similar way to the horn buttons already on the wheel.

The metal part to be drilled is approximately 4mm thick. I want to use a low profile switch with a bezel to hide any signs of the drill work, as I have a feeling that it will be difficult to match the finish of the wheel afterwards.

The horn buttons have an outside diameter of approx. 18mm and I really want something considerably smaller than this for the CC functions.

The search for the perfect switch continues...

Pics of area behind the wheel:

Picture072.jpg

Picture073.jpg

My trusty lil 182 :)
EDIT: In response to richy's depth q!

Was a bit cautious of that too but certainly on mine (sparco wheel, omp boss) the boss is a good 7-8cm deep and nothing to foul on. The back of the button would mount right next to the boss and keep it really neat and plenty of depth.

Last edited:
  Bumder With A Buffer
Cool :)

By the way what type of momo wheel is that and how is it in size in comparison to the boat wheel??!

182 Cup
It's a Momo model 80. The wheel isn't actually that much smaller than the OE wheel, but the difference in feel is amazing. I knew the size would be right for me after driving an Audi with the same size wheel as the Momo.

None :(
WoW! what an amazing thread! so interesting for those with cruise.

I've never tested a car in my life, or driven one with a steering wheel like these. So sorry if this sounds so n00b, but are they good for normal day time fun driving? Or just for track days?

Ok and this might sound really weird also (this is what night-shifts do to my head) but has anyone had a head on crash with a steering wheel like this in a clio? It's just i had one in my astra and i was so glad i had an air bag! (i was doing 40mph they were doing about 30mph, blind bend). :S

So i've never looked at this mod, especially not because i would loose the cruise. However after reading this thread, got me thinking outside the box a little and i thought........well racing cars have them, so it must be for a reason, and there's some serious crashes in racing and i've seen them wave their hands out the window after, to show they are all ok. So i suppose no air bag aint gonna mean your going to die, what do some of you think about this?

I know what i'm hoping people are going to say, but lets see :)

Inferno, good luck with this wicked project! Looks like there is such great support on this forum! I hope you get the buttons looking mint on the wheel :D

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
WoW! what an amazing thread! so interesting for those with cruise.

I've never tested a car in my life, or driven one with a steering wheel like these. So sorry if this sounds so n00b, but are they good for normal day time fun driving? Or just for track days?

Ok and this might sound really weird also (this is what night-shifts do to my head) but has anyone had a head on crash with a steering wheel like this in a clio? It's just i had one in my astra and i was so glad i had an air bag! (i was doing 40mph they were doing about 30mph, blind bend). :S

So i've never looked at this mod, especially not because i would loose the cruise. However after reading this thread, got me thinking outside the box a little and i thought........well racing cars have them, so it must be for a reason, and there's some serious crashes in racing and i've seen them wave their hands out the window after, to show they are all ok. So i suppose no air bag aint gonna mean your going to die, what do some of you think about this?

I know what i'm hoping people are going to say, but lets see :)

Inferno, good luck with this wicked project! Looks like there is such great support on this forum! I hope you get the buttons looking mint on the wheel :D

They are great, they add another level of fun to the car & allow for faster steering with the smaller sizes, The feedback is also improved once you remove the boat size standard one, the reason the airbag is not so relevant in race cars is mainly due to the harness's, with harness's it shouldnt be possible for you to even get near the steering wheel

Nothing wrong with running a car without a bag IMO either with or without harness' 10 years ago we were all happily driving about in cars that had, no side impact bars, no 4/5 star ncap ratings, no airbags that generally folded up like a wet cardboard box in an accident. Modern cars are vastly superior in an accident even without an airbag fitted.

None :(
Yeah i think this is what i wanted to hear ;)

I will definatly be keeping an eye on this thread now for sure!

182 Cup
Well, they've arrived - unfortunately I'm not going to get a chance to do anything this weekend, or probably next weekend!

Switches.jpg

Switches1.jpg

I had a quick mock up of how one might look on the wheel and checked that the holes required aren't too big for the wheel...

Switches4.jpg

Switches6.jpg

Still not 100% happy with the overall size - I would prefer a slightly smaller bezel on them, but the actual button size is spot on. As it is though, I don't think I'm going to find much smaller, and they did say 'motorsport' on the packets, so they must be good for another 5-10bhp each.

More to come later.

Titanium 182
No, but randomly you've just given me a great idea of where to look for some smaller ones! Google image is great! And thank you!

momo2lg.jpg

Erm... You're welcome yeah :rasp::star:

In fact you should just fit that wheel to your car, it's awesome!