ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

After Market exhausts MOT failure? Any testers?

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
^ I've got a few friendly people, but comments made on this other forum say that the 5-0 could screw you over for having an exhaust on, but seems stupid to me?

Isn't that just saying the exhaust has to be up to standards in regards to Cats and silencers.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
No, says it cannot have a system louder than a car with a standard silencer in avergae condition.
And also cannot have an exhaust for the purpose of making the car louder.

true "‘assess subjectively the effectiveness of the silencer in reducing exhaust noise to a level considered to be average for the vehicle’."

So it is saying your exhaust cant be louder then an standard one :(.

Polo + Micra
yeah my clio failed on this a few years ago now

so just found another mot station

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Before it used to be testers discretion, but now it seems it is actually a guideline...

Audi TT 3.2 V6
It's all well and good but surely it's a little unfair as you could have a high performance sports car eg Ferrari's and the like which on full chat sound stunning..but also loud.

So why should everyone else be limited on their noise output? This doesnt effect me btw i prefere a quiteish exhaust and still have a standard exhaust on my 182. Just think it seems a little harsh and unfair tbh

Polo + Micra
well when my clio failed the test said that it was to loud for the type of car

which i think he meant that if it was a super car then it would be ok

also i will be getting a milltek on the polo as soon as they release it lol

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
This is a good idea in one way but bad in another.

Yeh it may stop 1 or 2 big bore fiestas and that, But it nearly forces you to spend money on crap ranault parts.

I changed my renault exhaust to a AAS one beacuse the renault one was rusty and a s**t design :D

182 Cup
That doesn't look like it's a good thing for my Orbisoud system! Surely an average condition standard 182 exhaust is made up of nothing but rust and holes though, surely this should be taken into account and my Orbisoud should pass with flying colours?

Meh, there still failing cup's for not having rear brake bias so I'm sure there's plenty of time.

Seriously though from the way it's worded it's more to do with people having cherry bomb exhausts.

PH1 172 Sport
I think this is mainly targetting chavs with no silencers or massive dustbins on the back of there car which are excessivly loud. From what its saying its still left to the testers discretion on whether an exhaust is too load or not but they are just making the law clearer as there was some confussion.

Many MOT testers dont give a damn anyway. The guys who did mine a few months ago actually commented on how nice the car sounds and were amazed that a little clio had such a big engine in it, so until they actually set a noise limit I don't see what there is to worry about.

PH1 172 Sport
^^ I wish mine had a girlfriend aboard/motorway mode. i.e a button operated flap to make my car sound normal!

ValverInBits
About time really. I funkin hate stupid loud cars.

Move out of our free country and into somewhere with a dictatorship where they make laws because "someone doesent like it".

It's just another piece of ridiculous legislation to stop people doing what they want and having a good time.

Its been in the MOT manual for quite a while to be fair but for some reason its been brought to the tester attention a little more recently.

Load of poop in my opinion, i know myself or the other 2 testers i work with have never even considered failing a car for that. If its fitted and mounted securely, doesnt leak or blow and passes the emmisions thats good enough for me.

And if they do start to push it we`ll be proper stuffed as only my diesel will pass, the other cars will sit noisily idling on the drive!!

MCS R56
Move out of our free country and into somewhere with a dictatorship where they make laws because "someone doesent like it".

It's just another piece of ridiculous legislation to stop people doing what they want and having a good time.

Good reply. You clearly have no common sense.

I don't need to hear some t**t in a 1.4 Civic with an exhaust so loud, I hear him before he enters my village and drives up my street every night.

I've no problem with people being able to choose what type of exhaust they want but it should have to be limited to a certain noise level. Anyone that doesn't have cats or silencers etc should get points and be forced to add it.

Yeah, people should be allowed to do what they want. That's a clever idea! I'm surprised you can actually type.

Turbos.
LOL...

I see your point, but i'm in the middle. I'm all for a bit of noise and not everyone can afford a Ferrari. At the same time, there are a lot of people on here who wouldn't consider themselves a chav, and thinktheir exhausts just sound 'sporty.' But i'm pretty sure the general public would still find their cars offensive to the ears...

200 cup & 106 GTi
The standard 182 exhaust sounds alright anyway, if it's managed to stay together that is!

I've kind of gone off the whole loud exhaust thing. On a dedicated track car then fair enough, a lightweight single silencer system designed for optimum power output at higher revs is cool because it serves a function. A twin 3.5" retail system for a 182 just looks plain silly and sounds no better IMO And it makes 99% of people think you're a plonker.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Surely if this legislation went through, then manufacturers would just make the standard cars louder? I mean, the standard 182 exhaust (like mine) sounds absolutely s**t. It's quiet, too muted and gives very little audio feedback in the cabin that you're driving anything remotely special.

This is nothing but a turn-off for the buying public. But they do it because it's the 'safest' option and doesn't risk being too loud. Some manufacturers are 'fighting back' though - like the Remus fitments on the VXR's, etc - and the titanium exhaust option on the R26R.

Tbh, it's just likely to get bogged down in technical red-tape anyway. If you get an aftermarket exhaust and it can't exceed the standard kit - do you say you have an R26, or an R26R (with optional exhaust)? Could you argue a replacement 3-series Beemer exhaust could potentially be in the same volume bracket as the item fitted to the M3? Probably not - but it would take a lot of policing to keep in check, imo.

D.

Evo 8 Jap Crap
MOT garages round my way would have trouble sourcing a standard DC2 Teg to compare mine to, there isnt any!!

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
This has been flying about for literally years. "louder than standard" do they have Db readings for every standard system?

well its pretty clear a 1.2 clio with a stock exhaust is gonna sound ALOT different to a 1.2 clio with some sort of aftermarket thing lol,

dont forget clios are mainly made for a market designed as a small city/shopping car... they arent designed for boy racers lol so they are gonna be as quiet as possible...

ITB'd MK1
well its pretty clear a 1.2 clio with a stock exhaust is gonna sound ALOT different to a 1.2 clio with some sort of aftermarket thing lol,

dont forget clios are mainly made for a market designed as a small city/shopping car... they arent designed for boy racers lol so they are gonna be as quiet as possible...

still have to prove it's "louder than standard". Know exactly what you're saying, but like i said, this has been brought up for years, this thread is deja vu from 2002.

DCi
I've got a milltek and a sport cat (legal flavour) and an MOT renewal due by the end of the month, might have to call a favour but we will see !

I've got a milltek and a sport cat (legal flavour) and an MOT renewal due by the end of the month, might have to call a favour but we will see !

Well i know where i work certainly wouldnt worry about how loud your exhaust is buddy, and were pretty close to you in Chester.

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
Its been in the MOT manual for quite a while to be fair but for some reason its been brought to the tester attention a little more recently.

Load of poop in my opinion, i know myself or the other 2 testers i work with have never even considered failing a car for that. If its fitted and mounted securely, doesnt leak or blow and passes the emmisions thats good enough for me.

And if they do start to push it we`ll be proper stuffed as only my diesel will pass, the other cars will sit noisily idling on the drive!!

spot on ive been testing for 6 years now and never failed a car yet on it being to loud.

alien green rs133
i can quote from reading mot testers book thing
that any car that sounds loud or non-standard is a failure

how the feck are you going to know it sounds different to standard???

yeah my big bore came standard honest :D:D:D