ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Advice on buying a Sport 182

Im seriously looking at buying a new Cliosport 182 and would be grateful for some advice.

Current cars are a Elise 160 and a Scooby eating Saab 9000 (yes, Saab!!), which is starting to get a little long in the tooth and is rather harsh due to the suspension setup.

There seem to be lots of great deals kicking around at present, including new cars at £11700 - a hell of a bargain! I have found one company that will sell a UK dealer supplied (not pre-registered) car for £12495 - £2100 under list. Went into a main dealer and they said this was less than their trade price - the best they could do was £13600.

Sounds like the £12495 delear supplied one is the car to go for. What do you reckon? I imagine this is the best one to buy if I want to minimise depreciation and have no resale problem.

Cant quite believe what good value this car is considering how well equipped it is. I assume that it is well worth specing the Cup suspension?

Cheers,

Jez

Thats a fappin bargain !! eat his hand off !! DEFFO get the cup suspension pack !!

other than that have fun !! They are awesome cars !!

yup get the cup pack if you are going to buy one. does sound like a good deal.

and as for the saab, maybe in a straight line it might but on the bends i doubt it ;)

welcome to the club, if you get the 182 im sure youll love it :D

I got £2k off my UK supplied car. Im the first registered owner. A few dealers had heart attacks when I asked for £2k off. Might of got a little more, but wanted a car that week.

Jonathan

Thanks, guys.

The Saab is a bit of an old barge, but youd be surprised how quickly it can get round corners. But then, it has a Quiafe LSD, strut brace, poly bushes, adjustable Konis etc. etc. I followed a 280bhp Subaru round Goodward in a mates similar car and I can tell you that it kept with the Scooby on corners, outgunned ity on the straights and didnt stand a chance on braking!!!

I got £2K off my 182 as well, Def. go for all the Cup options. Its still a french car though so youll loose some value over the years. But good thing is that its one of the best driving ones... And got raved in all the magz

There are plenty of brokers doing them for about £12.5k and dealers will do them for £13k. Definitely dont pay list price.

Just test drove a 182 at my local dealer, seemed to be the same as my 2003 172 just with 2 exhaust out lets. The car i drove did have a harsher ride due to the CUP suspention.

I did like it but i was told that there was likely to be a new model soon that could have a new 2.0 litre turbo in? First i have heard thou!!!

One thing that really put me off was thet the seat belts were silver!! Looked abit tacky.

Quote: Originally posted by adcooper on 27 March 2004

Just test drove a 182 at my local dealer, seemed to be the same as my 2003 172 just with 2 exhaust out lets. The car i drove did have a harsher ride due to the CUP suspention.

I did like it but i was told that there was likely to be a new model soon that could have a new 2.0 litre turbo in? First i have heard thou!!!
New CLios hape is due late 2005 I belive thats will eb the turbo version pictures are out of it.

However maybe there goingt o drop it inot the last of the 182 and ligened then and call them cups? I dought it but it would be interesting to see if they did to keep the production and demand up.

Is the ride harsh with the Cup suspension, then, as the review I read (Autocar) reckoned it was pretty good.

This is one of the main reasons that I want to ditch the Saab as the ride on that is so bad. Oh, & that I want a car that is chuckable around corners in the way that the Elise is. :)

The 172 didnt appear until two years into the Clio 2s life, same with the Meganne, has taken 2 years for us to get the RS. Worth considering as it could mean the Clio 3 turbo (or whatever) could be three years off.

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner

Got my 182 (titanium metallic + cup pack) for £12,488 otr. Came direct from renault factory so no alarm as standard. Had a cat2>1 upgrade fitted for £275 and thatcham locking nuts for £30 .. so £12,793 all together and waited less than 2 weeks for it!!

Mo

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by mauricewt on 31 March 2004

Got my 182 (titanium metallic + cup pack) for £12,488 otr. Came direct from renault factory so no alarm as standard. Had a cat2>1 upgrade fitted for £275 and thatcham locking nuts for £30 .. so £12,793 all together and waited less than 2 weeks for it!!

Mo
so its an import then, not a UK car, thats why it is so cheap

dk

911 GTS Cab

if it hasnt gone throught the UK Renault import centre to have its windows etched and cat 1 alarm fitted before delivery then it is classed as an import and will carry an import warranty (different depending on where it was imported from) and import resale value.

Yes you got a cheap car and yes technically they are all imported from France at some point but there are also UK and non UK cars. If you havent been told this then u should know.

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner

I did get told about it not going through the import centre and not having the cat 1 alarm (i didnt know about the windows though).

The only thing i was concerned about was the warranty when buying it, but was told I still get the 2 years manufact and 1 year uk dealer (unless you can tell me different).

At the end of the day in 3 years this car will have approx 75k on the clock and thats when I will be giving it up (thats why i didnt buy an expensive car). So if i get over 5k-6k back on it then I will be more than happy.

If you have any other important info I should know I would be grateful to hear from you.

Thanks again for the info!

dk

911 GTS Cab

the warranty will depend on where it has been imported from, if it was france or spain I believe you will still get the 3 year warranty but you will need to register the car with renault yourslef and provide proof. If it is from somewhere more unique like Cyprus or Malta (I think), it only comes with the 1 year warranty, if you do a search on the forum for warranty you should see loads of info.

The etching is for the security register and will not matter much becasue you can get it done yourself if you wish. It will mean that the resale will be less though and some renault dealer wont touch them with trade ins.

The main thing to investgate is the warranty and where it has been imported from.

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner

The stamp in the book is in french and looks like the renault factory itself (thats what i was told also). Do you have a number I need to ring for renault to register the car? .. I guess this will be in the book somewhere anyway.

I did go to 2 renault dealers before getting this and i have to say it wasnt a pleasant experience .... the word amatuer comes to mind! didnt know anything about the car (i knew more) wouldnt give me nothing of the list price, 10 weeks delivery, s**t trade in value on my car, they certainly know how not to get business! had the cash ready and waiting aswell!

Thanks again!

Megane225FF

Ive got an import, if you phone Renault Customer Services on 0800 072 33 72, theyll be able to check where it was born...