ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Adventures of a little Abarth Esseesse

-Rob

ClioSport Club Member
he said it may also come with the 4 pot brembo package standard too but not 100%. It would be nice as the 595 competitionze needs something to set it apart from the others bar some seats and a mild steel exhaust lol.

Interesting thought with the turbo changes, tuning potential could be there, if they don't scrimp and save on supporting parts that is..
4 pot Brembos should be standard despite the standard brakes being enough. I test drove a 595 a couple of weeks ago and it wasn't anything overly special. Just don't think they're worth 19-20k. At all.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Interesting thought with the turbo changes, tuning potential could be there, if they don't scrimp and save on supporting parts that is..
4 pot Brembos should be standard despite the standard brakes being enough. I test drove a 595 a couple of weeks ago and it wasn't anything overly special. Just don't think they're worth 19-20k. At all.

Yeah should be good. Been standard turbo on Grande Punto Abarth Esseesse for a while even though they seem to of dropped the Punto Abarth now.

Can flow about 220bhp that turbo roughly. Would fly at that power! Same turbo as the Biposto model.

-Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah should be good. Been standard turbo on Grande Punto Abarth Esseesse for a while even though they seem to of dropped the Punto Abarth now.

Can flow about 220bhp that turbo roughly. Would fly at that power! Same turbo as the Biposto model.

Would make sense wouldn't it, the IHI turbo is far too restrictive. I don't see why they would bring out the 695 then upgrade the turbo on the 595 so it can get similar power.. Not that I'd complain!

-Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Since advertising it for sale, I haven't had as much interest as Id have liked. Decided to keep it for the time being with the aim to go RWD soon.

Fitted new brakes all round last week and have done 500 miles to bed them in since, much better than the old ones!
image.jpg

And the new brakes, fitted in the pouring rain!
image.jpg

Got around to giving it a clean.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Comments welcome!

TTRS & V50
You'll never get much interest advertising it on the 6th Jan !! March - September is the time to sell cars IMO.

Anyway, looks great, can imagine keeping those alloys clean is impossible.

-Rob

ClioSport Club Member
You'll never get much interest advertising it on the 6th Jan !! March - September is the time to sell cars IMO.

Anyway, looks great, can imagine keeping those alloys clean is impossible.

That's true, I didnt advertise it properly either.

Oh I'm glad winter is behind us, that's for sure. White alloys I'll never do again!

Thank you for the comments

-Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Turns out my brother sent me a link for this for sale at 10:20 in the morning. I had driven to London and paid for it by 14:00.

Project de-chav will begin soon!

IMG_9701.JPG

-Rob

ClioSport Club Member
So I've owned it for over a month now and it hasn't been driven, been off the road awaiting the sale of my run around.

This is what I'm starting with...

IMG_0114.JPG

IMG_0115.JPG

IMG_0113.JPG

IMG_0116.JPG

IMG_0117.JPG

After a bit of assessing, there's a few things wrong with the car.

Mechanically;
it's running a terrible tuning box which makes the accelerator either on or off, nothing in between
The exhaust mounts are perished/cable ties
The rear handbrake pipes are held onto the subframe with cable ties
Aerial is snapped off and allowing condensation into the car

Aesthetically.. where do I even start!

-Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I got started on a few little bits,

I've removed the Blue Spark tuning box, hopefully I can feel the difference next time I drive it.

IMG_0118.JPG

IMG_0173.JPG

I spent hours sanding down the ruined lights, must have had 10 layers of lights tints!

Then my brother kindly highlighted this to me..
IMG_0126.JPG

I guess everyone has different tastes but it's these little eBay specials that keep surprising me.

The carbon fibre dipped dash wasn't my cup of tea so that needed to go. I thought a nice touch of satin black would go well on the interior so I sprayed some surrounds up and my rear Esseesse badge
IMG_0131.JPG

And all fitted it looks a little like this..
IMG_0155.JPG

I started stocking some parts in preparation for a trackday at Snetterton

A brand new Brembo calipers and fully floating Brembo discs, with braided hoses and some PBS brake pads (heard some good things about these so thought I'd try them!)
IMG_0106.JPG
IMG_0144.PNG

I decided to rip out the entire interior of the car and sort out some wiring for the subwoofer as it looks like a wasps nest.
Before;
IMG_0174.JPG

After;
IMG_0175.JPG

-Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Thinking about which direction this car should go in, I kept the interior out
IMG_0127.JPG

I then messed about with some OMP floor mount adaptors and fitted my seats from my M3 along with standard seatbelt receptacles, anti sub eyelets for my Schroth harnesses..

IMG_0171.JPG

I've also changed the wing mirrors from red to white, updated all the halogen headlights to 150% Philips bulbs in the hopes that they're not candles in the dark.

The seats have absolutely transformed the poor seating position in this car, completely over kill but they still look fantastic I think.

Plenty of updates to come, let me know what you think of it all..

-Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Direct comparison of dashes, before and after.. feel as though I should do something about the steering wheel.
9C98F52E-5323-44D9-9D17-E17997CEAF9B.jpg

-Rob

ClioSport Club Member
White just looks like it's a 1.0 inside. The carbon didn't look that bad as it wasnt that matte carbon wrap shite

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

The carbon was dipped and I couldnt hack looking at it, I have everything to do a carbon dash with proper carbon if I find time!

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
The carbon was dipped and I couldnt hack looking at it, I have everything to do a carbon dash with proper carbon if I find time!
I'm not a fan of carbon at all and I thi k its tacky as f**k, however, that white dash just doesn't cut it for me[emoji29]

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

-Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Today it filled in for the M3 on a trackday

IMG_0181.JPG

IMG_0187.JPG

IMG_0188.JPG

IMG_0190.JPG

Trackday went well, it held its own on Michelin Pilot Sport 3 tyres. I have some Direzzas Dz03G semi slicks to go on but the bushes are too perished to put that sort of load through them.

Ended up taking off the mud flaps as they kept catching..

I also chewed up a passengers side driveshaft so I'll get one of those sorted along with a list of powerflex bushes that I need!

-Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Somehow I managed to bag these Abarth Biposto dampers for the front and rear. Think the RRP is about £2500 or something daft. Ended up driving 9 1/2 hour round trip to the dark depths of Bristol today.

IMG_0231.JPG

IMG_0234.JPG

2 dampers on 3,000 miles and two brand new along with rears and all springs. Just got to sort out solid top mounts and they'll be going on!

-Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Did a deep clean of the Abarth today, need to iron x the entire car and clay it really. It's really bad, loads of metal particals all over.

I removed the Sun strip, side strips and put on the Esseesse rear badge.

Can't wait to get the coilovers on with the powerflex bushes everywhere.

IMG_0239.JPG

IMG_0240.JPG

IMG_0242.JPG

IMG_0241.JPG

-Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Some fresh plates made up and a colour coded sunstrip

Fitting the front top mounts I was welcolmed by this mess..

These top mounts were originals and sheered into pieces so the angle grinder came out.

The new top mounts don't fit correctly so I've sent them back and awaiting revisions to be made.

Both CV boots are leaking out grease so I've ordered replacements for those. New track rod ends too for alignment once the suspension finally makes its way onto the car.

-Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Are these any good? Car I mean.

Personally I prefer 182's for seating position, general chassis handling and the steering is a lot better (hydraulic over electric)

The Abarth is a laugh to drive, it's a fun car that frankly sounds amazing for a 1.4. They wouldn't have made an entire racing series for a car that didn't handle well IMO. The market is slumped for second hand cars so you can always pick up a bargain.

I'm still on the look out for a low mileage Liquid Yellow 182, but I couldn't pass up buying back my old car especially after I saw how chavved up it was.

This car within 45,000 miles of ownership between me and my younger brother has never broken down once. Started first time everytime and can return 45/46mpg on a long run. Just replacing parts that are 10 years old now and hopefully improving on them as I go.

-Rob

ClioSport Club Member

New camber adjustable top mounts have arrived, good quality. Pretty cheap and will allow the adjustment that I want and need.

May have also bought a brand new bigger turbo, sensors, oil feed and manifold.. with a FMIC and injectors from a 599GTO I SHOULD get about 230/240hp and cap the ft lbs to 280/290.

I've also purchased the wheels for it. Fully forged and weighing about 6kg!

-Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Changed the rear badge. Looks a lot better.

I managed to fit the drivers side coilover and top mount today, the top mount is from a Ford Fiesta and was £310 cheaper than the Abarth equivalent.. it has a draw back.

The top of the damper sits about an inch lower than standard top mounts and I need shorter drop links as the front anti roll bar is on constant load with the standard one fitted. So I'll be searching around tomorrow to try and find something suitable!

-Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Managed to find these adjustable anti roll bar drop links and they're fantastic quality.

IMG_0425.JPG

Wheels back on, brand new dampers and springs so need time to settle a little

IMG_0424.JPG

I must have put about -3 camber on the front, it's pretty mental. Need to get the entire subframe off soon to replace bushes and powdercoat the subframe as it's a mess. Then I'll get a good alignment/corner weighting.
IMG_0428.JPG

New wheels came in the post from Hungary!

5.8kg weight, freshly painted white. Awaiting SSR valves from Japan before I can get my Dunlop Direzza DZ03G on them. Should look phenomenal!

IMG_0422.JPG

IMG_0423.JPG