ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Adventures of a little Abarth Esseesse

-Rob

ClioSport Club Member
This is the picture from the advert, prior to buying.
image.jpg

Caught a train down to Surrey to collect it, got it for a bargain but it needed work.

This is what it looked like after a quick bucket over it.
image.jpg

Thoroughly enjoyed being stuck on the M25 in traffic instead of hitting the B roads, but I'll blame SWMBO for that..

First impressions were;

"Ouch, the rear suspension is crashy and it feels as though I would lose all my teeth."
The car held itself nicely on the motorway and the sport setting on the steering wasn't as bad as all the reviews made it out to be.

I managed to get it out for it's first spirited drive after work one evening and yeah, I enjoyed it! Car handled like it was a go kart around the country lanes and occasionally on up shifts, a little snarl and a pop from the exhaust was most entertaining.
image.jpg

The first thing on the list for the Abarth was a cambelt and full service and change of fluids from Abarth, so with a hefty sized bill for such a small car I felt deflated, but that didn't stop me enjoying it.

The first modification was to sort out the DRL's.
Upgraded light on the left, standard on the right.
image.jpg

Then I spent a good days worth giving it a go over with the rotary and applied C2V3 afterwards. I replaced the sticky back of the number plates for Velcro to make it easier to clean.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Whilst giving it a once over I noticed that the brakes need changing and the alloys could do with a refurb but being magnesium, proving quite a pain. One thing annoyed me and that was the paint on the 500 badge at the rear so I hand painted the 500 in Bosso nova white.
image.jpg

I got some Fiat Coupe bump stops to allow more travel in the rear suspension and £24.95 later and the cars handling and feel has completely changed itself for the better. Best modification anyone can do to these cars.

Then I won some Volare Blue wing mirror caps off eBay and now I fancy getting them carbon dipped.
image.jpg

This is where I'm up to now, just threw a bucket over it and put on a coat of C2V3 for winter, alloy refurb in the spring and perhaps a little more power.

C+C welcome. Any questions fire away!

Rob

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Nice mate, I love our one.

Put 1300 miles on it now & the engines really starting to come alive.

-Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Was really nice up until the mirrors.

I really really like these

Haven't kept the blue on, left them off and thinking of dipping them carbon. Just got them really cheap and was going to paint them a different colour anyway.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Looks fantastic.

Never really read any reviews, what do they say about the steering in sport mode? I couldn't drive one out of sport mode, they feel awful. In sport mode they feel great, just enough weight behind it.

The rear bump stops do help, but I didn't think they made much difference unless you have 2 people in the back then the difference is night and day. H&R springs made the biggest difference I found.

-Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Looks fantastic.

Never really read any reviews, what do they say about the steering in sport mode?

The rear bump stops do help, but I didn't think they made much difference.

Thanks, well it's all electric steering and at times it feels disconnected, out of sport mode. Sport mode is a vast improvement, the car would benefit without it.

The bump stops for me were night and day as I had the uprated bump stops with less travel in than the standard abarth (unsure if you had these too?) I drive over some terrible roads and it eliminated the pogoing effect from the short wheel base.

May sell this, or I may invest in new brakes and a few other parts and may aim for 200hp. Undecided as of yet but that will all be after winter I'd have thought.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Not sure what Bumpstops the girlfriends had but I know it pretty much sat bottomed out before anyone even got in the car lol.

As for power, aim for 180-185 and over 220 ftlbs of torque. That turbo won't flow 200bhp. You'll need the gt1446 for that which is a small fortune!

-Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Not sure what Bumpstops the girlfriends had but I know it pretty much sat bottomed out before anyone even got in the car lol.

As for power, aim for 180-185 and over 220 ftlbs of torque. That turbo won't flow 200bhp. You'll need the gt1446 for that which is a small fortune!
Yeah it's quite a laugh but there isn't much more space for a different suspension set up unfortunately.

A couple of people have used a different turbo but the gt1446 is £500-£600, think I priced it up as roughly £1800 for around 220hp but the standard internals only takes 1.5 bar. Could get 185 out of it with a few parts on standard turbo. Boost actuator, decat/sports cat, enlarged exhaust and a decent remap. But I think I'll probably sell this.

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
I love these cars.
Just watched the Topgear episode where they where in Italy with the hot hatches. Richard hammond was in the abarth and it looked wicked!

Glad your enjoying it.

-Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Only just noticed that the original post didn't have the latest picture in it..
image.jpg

Then this happened today..
image.jpg

-Rob

ClioSport Club Member
@Sam I'm considering selling it and getting a new 595 with Xenon headlights, Sabelt seats and Monza race exhaust. I've put it up for sale in two places but If it doesn't sell, I'll probably get the Assetto corse racing exhaust and keep it for a while longer until insurance renewal in July. Still love driving it and did over 1,500 miles last month. Still can't believe how chuck able and nimble the little Abarth is, managed to get a pop on all up shifts from 1st to 5th a couple of days back! Addictive is the only way to describe it.

Renaultsport Clio
I had a track experience in a 500 around Brands Hatch last year in the rain,great fun especially going past the supercars on track :smile:

-Rob

ClioSport Club Member
A couple of photos after a wash today.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Up for sale if anyone's interested, £500 saving for all members.

-Rob

ClioSport Club Member
What's the difference between this and the 595? Seen a few around but never known!

The 595 has Sabelt Seats as standard with xenon headlights and Monza exhaust, same power as my Esseesee, other than that, it's pretty much the same and I test drove one and I preferred mine. Sure this one is chucking out more than the quoted 160hp.

£8500 for anyone genuinely interested.

Thanks again guys.

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
The 595 has Sabelt Seats as standard with xenon headlights and Monza exhaust, same power as my Esseesee, other than that, it's pretty much the same and I test drove one and I preferred mine. Sure this one is chucking out more than the quoted 160hp.

Thanks again guys.

That's what I love about my brothers one, his has the sabelt bucket seats, Koni dampers and better multi spoke alloys, his is the essese version too, bloody quick it is and handles like a go kart!!

Turbo 182 Alfa 159

Thanks again guys.

Only the 595 Competizione comes with xenons standard now. They dropped xenons from the 595 Turismo for some reason, probably because the TFT monitor is now standard for Euro 6 models. Same goes for Sabelt seats, only standard on a 595 competizione. They are an option on the 595 turismo now.

Not even sure if xenons can be added from factory any more, they have removed it from the online configurator. Annoying really.

Good price at £8500, not sure what happened but autotrader had around 200 a couple of month ago now theres less than 20 for sale on there.

-Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Only the 595 Competizione comes with xenons standard now. They dropped xenons from the 595 Turismo for some reason, probably because the TFT monitor is now standard for Euro 6 models. Same goes for Sabelt seats, only standard on a 595 competizione. They are an option on the 595 turismo now.

Good price at £8500, not sure what happened but autotrader had around 200 a couple of month ago now theres less than 20 for sale on there.
Didn't actually realise anyone would order a turismo over a competizione.

But yes from what I gather that is correct and its to make the car seem like it has more optional extras. I think abroad you've got to spec the TFT monitor as well.

This car owes me £9300, do I want to make a profit? Not really, I've loved having it. £8500 to anyone on here. It seems as though closer to Christmas no one has the money to buy cars, which is understandable.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Seen you'd stuck it up for sale.

Was gona say if you were wanting a 595 competizione hold out to q2 of this year where they release the garrett turbo ones.

2005 Clio 182
Can you tell me how you rotar'd it? My black one has spider webs all over it from an over-zealous gf's dad. Its her car, but I would like to detail it to perfection.

Dan...

ClioSport Club Member
Really cool looking little cars these - I really like the white on white

By any chance is that Queensgate Shopping center in Peterborough (the last photo in your original post) ?

-Rob

ClioSport Club Member
@Lal B3N - wouldn't say no to a Stronger turbo, where did you find out about this if you don't mind me asking?

Really cool looking little cars these - I really like the white on white

By any chance is that Queensgate Shopping center in Peterborough (the last photo in your original post) ?

It is indeed, quite often go to Queensgate but usually take the train as it only costs a few quid for me.

Thanks for all the comments guys, I think the car is reasonably priced considering it could do with a little work that I haven't been able to get around to doing.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
@Lal B3N - wouldn't say no to a Stronger turbo, where did you find out about this if you don't mind me asking?

A guy who is quite high up in Abarth has announced it on the forum. Should be a 50th anniversary 595 coming soon to show you what it will be like.
No prices announced yet, he said it may also come with the 4 pot brembo package standard too but not 100%. It would be nice as the 595 competitionze needs something to set it apart from the others bar some seats and a mild steel exhaust lol.

Orders for current 595 are shutting soon he said.