ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Adding another boot light. GUIDE.

Ph1 172 + Combo van
Adding another boot light. GUIDE.

Right,

The Boot in the clio doesnt have much light. I'm not the first one to do this but i've decided to make a guide for anyone who would like to give it a go.:)

My car is a Mk2 Ph1. the light i bought was from a Mk2 Ph2. The guide should be the same for all Mk2 clios 98<

First of all you have to buy another boot light. Scrap yard, Renault, or off a member on here. I got mine from Cliospares. You will need a part of the loom too which will make the wiring a lot easier.

Here is some of my tools i used:

bootlight010.jpg

My original light only had 2 wires going to it a pink and a white. My new one i bought had 3 wires. 2 red wires and a green. I used a continuity tester and found that the wires i needed to use on my new light were the larger red one and the green one.

Before you do any work on the electrics in the car disconnect the battery.

Fabricating the hole

I popped the original boot light out and measured the hole needed for the light to fit in. On the other side of the boot i marked it out with a stanley knife so i knew where to cut.
The plastc is quite thick so i got myself a small drill bit and drilled as many holes as i could fit around the edge of my marked area.
Then i used a chisel to cut away the section of the plastic. As said this plastic is pretty tough so to break it i had to use a hammer with the chisel. Just be careful as it can be brittle near any edges.
Once it was popped out i used a sanding attatchment on my drill and smoothed the edges. For the corners i used a file.
Keep trial fitting you boot light until you have it fit in snugly otherwise it will fall out when you go round corners.

bootlight011.jpg

The edge will be covered so i didn't spend long getting it perfect.

Wiring

I ran 2 lengths of 1.5mm multi core cable around the boot to get a rough length to cut them to. Best to cut them too long rather than too short.
Make sure you mark one so you know which one connects to which. eg. put a bit of red tape around one on both ends of the wire. I ran the wiring through the hole and behind the door card to down under the back seat.
Use common sense and keep the wires away from moving parts, catches and sharp edges.

bootlight021.jpg

bootlight019.jpg

Once the wires were under the back seat run them along to the passenger side of the car and up to the existing boot light following the same route as on the drivers side.

On the drivers side of the car you need to connect your new boot light so use straight through insulated crimps and attatch one of your new wires (the one you marked with red tape) to the larger diameter red wire coming out of the boot light. Then do the same and crimp the green wire to your other new cable.

bootlight016.jpg

Make sure the crimped connection is tight then wrap it completely in insulating tape. Once your done put a bulb in and move onto the passenger side of the car where the existing light is. Bulb is a festoon and will take between 35-39 mm.

Here is a diagram to help you understand a little more. hopefully:eek:

bootwiringlight.jpg

You need to cut your existing boot light wiring a couple of inches away from the connector plug so you have enough to make a crimped connection.

To connect the lights to the supply I used 3 way crimps that i bought from a local shop. I've never seen them before though so maybe you could find them on ebay or an electrical supplier.

bootlight015.jpg

On that picture you can see:
-The wire on the right is the supply
-Wire going to the existing boot light
-Wire on the right running round to the new boot light.

Connect the wires as shown in the diagram. Making sure the connection is strong before you wrap it in insulation tape.

Put a bulb in the existing light then pop it back into its place making sure the wires go in behind the light neatly.

Connect up you battery and you should have a new light in your boot.

bootlight029.jpg

bootlight031.jpg

If it doesn't work:

Make sure the bulbs are in the right way round as led ones have a + -.

Still not working:

Your crimp may have come loose.
You may have connected one of the wires to the wrong one so check the diagram again and rectify your work.

I will not accept responsibility for any damage made to your car whilst doing this.

Thanks,
Alex

any missing parts or bits that i havent explained properly just say and ill try and go over them again.

Last edited:
  e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Nice little guide mate, should have put it in the guide section, sure this will be handy even for those that are not big install fans as you can hardly see fook all with the one light

Ph1 172 + Combo van
Cheers guys. I thought i'd let the mods have a read then they can decide to put it in there or not.:)

Flame Red Delight
nice guide mate you got anymore usefull things you have done to your car that might be able to help me out ?

mk2 1.2 16v
Nice idea that mate and a really good guide, might have to have a go at that myself!

I've wondered about putting extra lights in the front that would come on with the existing one (i.e when the switch is turned on or the door is opened) but I've got no idea how I'd go about doing it lol. Don't suppose you have got any suggestions or advise? You seem to be pretty knowledgeable on this stuff

Cheers,
Graham

Ph1 172 + Combo van
well for adding the lights up the front you would have to get some aftermarket lights. It would be the same as the boot i think and just run the cable from the new lights to the existing light and follow the guide on how to wire them in.

this was done a few months ago:
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=351049

Not sure if you have the same shape interior light as that though.

133, 182, Kangoo 182
Hm didn't think of using another light.

I had some old PC cold cathodes laying around so I snipped off the molex connection, took out the bulb from the holder, placed the + and - of the cathodes in the bulb holder and put the bulb back.

Done the job for a while.. took it out though as it didn't look too safe lol. Does work though!

172 Cup
Nice work, on a different note...I really like your sub install considered it myself, how did you go about it if you don't mind me asking? Take you long?

Ph1 172 + Combo van
^^^ ill do a bit of a write up with pictures and pm it to you. ill find you a guide too which is on here and was done by another member:)

Clio 172 Cup
mate is there anything covering the sub in your boot?the install looks mint.
also is there an enclosure for the sub below the false floor or are you using the spare wheel well as an enclosure?

Ph1 172 + Combo van
mate is there anything covering the sub in your boot?the install looks mint.
also is there an enclosure for the sub below the false floor or are you using the spare wheel well as an enclosure?
the sub is in a smallish sealed box inside the spare wheel well. nothing covering it atm i was going to get some sort of grill but i never got round to it. if i need to put anything significant in the boot i just throw in my old boot carpet ontop of my false floor and it covers it all nicely. prevents things piercing the sub or scratching the plastic over the amp. and if you didnt really know clios then you wouldnt know there was anything under the carpet atall.:) stealth ftw