ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Adam's 172 Turbo Build

Yeah it’s faster then I thought it would be. I’ll try get both my cameras working next time I’m out as this one failed to record 2 of the 3 sessions I did.

This seems a lot of work just to change some turbo studs ? I’ve ordered some Resbond extreme temp threadlock from the US to so hopefully these inconel ones won’t come loose.

5603BB23-AA22-438F-B858-020DB75016EB.jpeg
C00E557B-B7FC-4027-B5AA-89DF77E5C0CE.jpeg

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
Yes JC5 rebuilt with Quaife. Chris from EFI said it was trying to make a lot more torque but he kept knocking it back for reliability and drivability on track.
Can you please share the part no for the uprated pistons and rods? Yoi thread just make me smile and inspired me.

Radu

Can you please share the part no for the uprated pistons and rods? Yoi thread just make me smile and inspired me.

Radu

Wossner 9-5-1 pistons. I used these instead of 8-5-1 to give it more low down punch. I used 83mm which I believe takes it to 2013cc I bought these from Engine Dynamics.

The rods are the generic PEC ones that are sold by a few company’s. I bought these off eBay.

The valves are Supertek. Inconel exhaust and stainless nitrate coated inlet. They have catcams valve springs to.

You can buy the whole lot from engine dynamics who offer a forum discount on most things.

Going for a Brembo Caliper upgrade now. In true Adam fashion I was looking on eBay for some Brembos ................................. and I bought some more wheels ?
C7CDAD48-D4B3-407B-B6D5-B74B4A83CE51.jpeg

I am looking to upgrade to Brembos soon tho, watch this space ?

Got some steering wheel buttons and holder today. Going to use the right momentary as a horn switch and the left on/off to switch the boost solenoid on/off, effectively mid and high boost. Does anyone know if I will be able to turn the solenoid on and off whilst driving? Don’t want to damage the ECU.
869796FB-9256-45A9-A002-8953808368CA.jpeg

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Got some steering wheel buttons and holder today. Going to use the right momentary as a horn switch and the left on/off to switch the boost solenoid on/off, effectively mid and high boost. Does anyone know if I will be able to turn the solenoid on and off whilst driving? Don’t want to damage the ECU.
View attachment 1396064
I used to run switchable boost using a ford amal valve, and I used to switch that whilst driving, so I would assume that, yes, you’d be ok to switch the boost as you’re driving. Ultimately, it’s been mapped to run the full boost, so it will make no difference to the ecu imo.

I used to run switchable boost using a ford amal valve, and I used to switch that whilst driving, so I would assume that, yes, you’d be ok to switch the boost as you’re driving. Ultimately, it’s been mapped to run the full boost, so it will make no difference to the ecu imo.

Yeah it’s fine on low boost, think Chris said it was 280-290 and it drives fine on low. I was just checking if I’d damage anything by turning it on whilst the cars running. I think I’m just worrying to much ?

RuskiWeldFab

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, RS4 B7
That’s brilliant! [emoji23]
Would be awesome to race you in mine some day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since fitting my new seats I wasn’t to keen on the blue harnesses so I bought myself an early Christmas present ?

2ABD2A7A-B403-4E7A-B0CB-8B65EC57FC1D.jpeg
9031BCD1-9479-4236-A1EC-FD8497107546.jpeg

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Stick the rain light in the rear window or something.

Don't do it like in that pic, looks gash ?

robzracing

ClioSport Club Member
New pieces to the puzzle [emoji16]

View attachment 1397463View attachment 1397464

Was looking for a rain light and came across this on google, have ordered one to try myself
View attachment 1397462

That was my old race car! The previous owner had stuck the rain light on the boot with screws and a bit of silicon so I found another boot release badge and drilled it out. Just a bit tidier but I would definitely mount it inside at the top of the rear window which is where I now have the rain light on my current car.

That was my old race car! The previous owner had stuck the rain light on the boot with screws and a bit of silicon so I found another boot release badge and drilled it out. Just a bit tidier but I would definitely mount it inside at the top of the rear window which is where I now have the rain light on my current car.

Do you have a picture of how/where yours is mounted please?

Sooo.. my mate machined 5mm off calipers for me, got new Hel lines, PBS Pads, new fitting kit and a squirt of ultra high temp grease and we’re on. Ran out of fluid so not bled 100% yet but there all on.

Only 2 of my 4 sets of 15’s fit so I’ll have a couple sets for sale soon including the ones at top of page.

15AA296F-18FB-4022-A1C4-0AA80BC9C904.jpeg
22F008A3-C153-4181-9AAE-E20CB992D916.jpeg

7697726A-7E98-4D60-9059-07029AEE9328.jpeg

98F88F4F-44EA-4AE7-95FF-BC231942D9E1.jpeg
FC2621FC-5384-40AC-9F6F-FB970FB69E0A.jpeg
38186D0A-2F96-4E40-A7D9-EBD6B7A3546C.jpeg
E116F049-8E57-47F9-92CC-BB0937CEEFA1.jpeg

Wow?
I have to remove the adhesive from the weights on my Clio:))

Those calipers above had to be machined to the same shape as the wheel, the discs are 15” the same size as the wheels on my Clio.

My Clio calipers are very close to the wheels that are fitted now, that’s with a 16mm spacer. I’m told my ProRace 1.2’s have slightly better clearance then those so hopefully I’ll be ok.

Could you center balance your wheels? Could be an option.

Clio 172 (CUP)
Those calipers above had to be machined to the same shape as the wheel, the discs are 15” the same size as the wheels on my Clio.

My Clio calipers are very close to the wheels that are fitted now, that’s with a 16mm spacer. I’m told my ProRace 1.2’s have slightly better clearance then those so hopefully I’ll be ok.

Could you center balance your wheels? Could be an option.
Neat job on the machining, I've got exactly the same job to do, find somewhere to do the machining, refurb them, new hoses, same PRS pads fitting under TD 1.2 et38s ... Keeping the existing 280mm discs to ensure they fit.

Neat job on the machining, I've got exactly the same job to do, find somewhere to do the machining, refurb them, new hoses, same PRS pads fitting under TD 1.2 et38s ... Keeping the existing 280mm discs to ensure they fit.

I’ve not tried my 1.2’s yet but I’m confident they will fit as my mates got them over his and he’s using 300mm brackets with 7mm taken off calipers. I’m pretty sure with my 280 brackets I’ve got 3mm more clearance then him. If you’ve not done it by time I’ve tried them I’ll report back ?

Clio 172 (CUP)
If you’ve not done it by time I’ve tried them I’ll report back [emoji16]

It's only on a 'to do' list for now like many other things, just been buying bits over the last year ready to start working on the car again, soon - fingers crossed.[emoji1696]

Great to see how you've cracked on with your build, I've been off of here for a while so have some reading to do ;)

Fitted a low temperature thermostat and fan switch earlier, as mentioned a few weeks ago we noticed the fans didn’t work at all so I mounted a switch in the top radiator hose. I used a 75 degree thermostat and 90 on 80 off switch, ran it up earlier and seems to work fine.

E8C72D85-4461-46E9-B245-78D9D5F19805.jpeg
BB7E9BAA-2742-4BD1-BB7D-8B055DD14049.jpeg
2BFF653E-360D-4B20-834C-0305549EB12D.jpeg
C68F084B-C477-4709-802C-155585EA3D85.jpeg
EE5C42D0-D02F-4CD5-A5AE-E28BDC8A81A0.jpeg

JezzaMac

ClioSport Club Member
This is such a good build! Keep up the good work.

Have you got any information on water feed and return for the turbo? Where did you take it from, what fittings, hose size etc did you use? And any pictures if you have!

This is such a good build! Keep up the good work.

Have you got any information on water feed and return for the turbo? Where did you take it from, what fittings, hose size etc did you use? And any pictures if you have!

Thank you.

I’ve removed the heater matrix and used the matrix feed and return for the turbo cooling. I’ve used 19-10mm reducers (I think they were 19) and 3/8” high temperature silicone pipe joined to banjo fittings on the turbo, these are wrapped in Kevlar heat shielding just to be safe.

Fishfire

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Brilliant build and so tidy!

I'm planning on building a boosted engine for my 172 and wanted a build to follow, and I think yours is perfect!

I wont need to make as much power as it'll be for road and maybe the odd track day, so I think 280 - 300hp would be more than adequate. Any advice on which turbo would suit this power requirement? I was potentially considering a hybrid gt25?