ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Acceptable Paint Match?

MK3 1.2 TURBO
Got my Clio back from the bodyshop on Thursday where they've replaced and repainted the front wing after my neighbour decided to reverse into it over Christmas.
In bright sunlight when I picked it up it looks alright but I've had a look at it over the past couple of days and it seems like the colour doesn't quite match. I've read on a few other threads on here that the MV632 (Gris Boreal) paint is hard to match? Is this something I should try and get them to redo?

This is the best photo I could get to try and show it:

IMG_2025_zps6bf826d0.gif

Also the spacing between the bonnet seems to get wider as you go away from the headlight which I'm assuming shouldn't be?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
That colour should be blended into the door and bonnet.

Also did they fit a genuine Renault part, if not then there's your problem.

MK3 1.2 TURBO
The colour has been blended into the bumper and door but not the bonnet.

I assume they fitted a genuine part. They quoted £76 for the part which is the same as what I was quoted from my local Renault dealer.

The original damage looked like this so I don't know whether this might have damaged the fixing points underneath causing the slightly dodgy fit?

IMG_1883_zps8853d4e4.gif

dci clio track toy..
needs the gaps looking at .. you wouldn't blend bonnet unless the colour was very bad as you would get to involved with chips etc . I would see if they have a closer variant . The yellow shade of gris boreal is the one I normally use .

clio sport 172
What did you get charged m8, I'm a painter you will never get perfect match without doin the bonnet and as someone has already said with plastic you get more static so metallic in the paint don't sit the same, depending what you paid should of been about 350-400 plus vat ish

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Couple of things. Gaps are poor but then lining up those wings are a nightmare as they're not conventional.

The fact the quality control hasn't picked up on the gaps and they've clearly painted it with the first "shade" they found (there could be from 1-50+ different shades of one colour code, same colour different shades) is worrying.

Oh and you should never really have to blend a bonnet when fitting a new wing.

Blend the door/match the bonnet. It's all very complicated with millions of variables.

That however is s**t.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
What did you get charged m8, I'm a painter you will never get perfect match without doin the bonnet and as someone has already said with plastic you get more static so metallic in the paint don't sit the same, depending what you paid should of been about 350-400 plus vat ish

Nonsense. In 12 years i've never seen a bonnet blended when fitting a new wing.

I would however agree with plastic to metal differences. From factory can be the worst. That colour is shocking and there is zero excuse.

Petrol Blue 182
Nonsense. In 12 years i've never seen a bonnet blended when fitting a new wing.

I would however agree with plastic to metal differences. From factory can be the worst. That colour is shocking and there is zero excuse.

100% agree.

clio sport 172
There is a number of reasons why that dont match, you could probably get it closer but painting edge to edge on a silver car that has some age would be hard to get 100%

MK3 1.2 TURBO
Couple of things. Gaps are poor but then lining up those wings are a nightmare as they're not conventional.

The fact the quality control hasn't picked up on the gaps and they've clearly painted it with the first "shade" they found (there could be from 1-50+ different shades of one colour code, same colour different shades) is worrying.

Oh and you should never really have to blend a bonnet when fitting a new wing.

Blend the door/match the bonnet. It's all very complicated with millions of variables.

That however is s**t.

Thanks for the advice.

I was going to go back tomorrow anyway as they also managed to snap some of the wheel arch lining clips and not replace them so the plastic was basically hanging off and rubbing the tyre. I phoned them as soon as I noticed a difference on thursday but he seemed convinced that it matched but the stuff on here has given me a decent case that they can do better.

MK3 1.2 TURBO
UPDATE: Went today back to the bodyshop. He fixed the wheel arch lining and agreed that the paint didn't match and the gap was off so it's going in at the end of the week and hopefully with have it sorted. I'll post pics when it's done to see what you think.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
UPDATE: Went today back to the bodyshop. He fixed the wheel arch lining and agreed that the paint didn't match and the gap was off so it's going in at the end of the week and hopefully with have it sorted. I'll post pics when it's done to see what you think.

As i said, he will end up flicking the colour into the bonnet.

MK3 1.2 TURBO
UPDATE 2: Took the car in this morning which they were fine with. Got a phone call 20 mins later saying they couldn't see the problem with the colour but were happy to spray it anyway (with the yellower shade as suggested by the-darkhorse) and if it's wrong I would have to deal with it. They also said they would sort the gaps.

This is the car now having been resprayed and adjusted:

IMG_2033_zpse5fa2ec3.gif

I'm happier with the colour, it's not perfect but I can live with it. The gaps are still off though and I'm sick of dealing with him so I'll have a go at sorting it myself when I've got a free weekend.

However, the only thing I've just noticed is this:

IMG_2035_zps55826785.gif

Whether they did this the previous time or just now I don't know but when the wing's been done it looks like they've missed a clip attaching it to the scuttle. Again I'm not going back so I'm just going to do it myself. Are these easy to get hold of?

Adam

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Bonnet is sitting to low at the back, the trim has clips which looks like it just needs tucking back under the screen.

No big deal mate, glad you're happy with it now.