ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ABS//Service light.

clio...
As above, comes on after 50mph. When I turn the car off/on they go away until I hit 50. Also, now on very slow light breaking it feels like the ABS is trying to kick in & is clunking and skipping.
Disks and pads less than a year old.
I'm assuming its a problem with the ABS sensor, but does anyone have a proper idea as to whats happening and what I need to do to remedy the problem?

Cracked ABS ring? You can feel the rings just behind the brake discs, they've got teeth on, check for any cracks or ring movement. Be aware that when your ABS light is on, you have 50:50 braking split, so don't go doing any big stops, or you may end up facing the wrong way!

Could be the ABS rings - check them for any damage/teeth missing.

If not, look at your ABS sensors for any damage. Mine was completely ripped in half!

clio...
Was thinking it could possibly be something to do with that, Would that also explain the skipping at low speed breaking? Its like a horrible clunk noise then sort of judders and skips! Guessing, I should be checking sooner rather than later.

It does sound like an ABS ring problem. When my sensor went, the ABS and SERV lights were on all the time.

clio...
Ahright, Guess I'll get my hands dirty tonight and give it a good check. Should i be able to feel any cracks/defects easily?

The teeth are quite small so it's better to jack the car up and look at them, spinning the wheel so you can see them all. You'll be looking for any of the teeth missing or significant chips/cracks in the ring.

I have the same problem, serv + abs lights coming on at around 50mph ive checked and did change one of the sensors with no luck..

Clio sport 172
I have the same abs light and serve and my speedo was cutting out. took it to ian browns garage dunf. After diagnostics got speed sensor on gear box replaced fixed the speedo.

Still got my abs light on which causes serve to come on. diagnostics guy Jamie said it was most likly a cracked ring as diagnostics suggested it wasnt a signal failure. going to pop the wheels of sunday and have a look. hope i can replace just abs ring and not have to pay £100 for discs abs rings and pads!!!

I know the abs doesnt work when light is on but does it really split the bias 50/50?!?
Not sure i belive this. the wee clio can be nervous in the wet anyway!:)

ly 200, 172 cup
your abs light and serv light can come on together being a brake pedal swicth as i had to change mine and it solved the problem. if it was the abs sensors or ring they would come on straight away. but mine use to always go on when i hit 60. its a common fault with the clios. so i advise to change switch which u would see if u look under ur dash nxt to brake pedal which has a plug goin into it. the swicth is cheap. if it keeps doing it after you have changed switch the it maybe a senser problem.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Most likely cause is a damaged CV boot - Wheel speed sensors don't like the reluctor rings being coated in grease either.

clio 182
have any of you guys heard of the abs unit burning out as mine started smoking at the back of the bulkhead which flung the abs and servo light on but now all lights on dash are going out but my brake pedal is solid,any ideas would be welcome

Clio Sport 182 Cup
Hi. only had my clio sport for a few weeks (04 plate) and im getting the same sort of thing, the ABS/SERVICE light and i also get the skid symbol (tringle icon under the left indicator arrow on dash). These lights all come on together but at different speeds. Ive been sitting in traffic and they have come on. It doesnt always happen either, can go a few days and not happen.

Any ideas what the problem could be? The garage that sold me the car have said they will look at it as its under their service warrenty.

Many thanks :)

Last edited:
  Monaco Blue 172
i didnt have any lights come on, but did ave the weird abs feeling when i was braking lightly, it kept feeling like it was kicking in, mine was Cracked ABS ring, u can get them off Ebay for a tenner 44 Teeth, my old cracked one just fell off, and tapped the new one on with a hammer cured my problem

also like mick said, could be Cv grease gunking it all up, get some brake cleaner on it, and clean it up