ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ABS sensor rings a few Q's

visualize whirled pe
Hiya,

I'm not too familiar with fwd cars, it's not often I poke about but the ABS has been activating at slow speed, I now have a metallic ring sound aswell, so I did a bit of searching on here which brings me onto this:

After whipping both front wheels (rsi 1.6 16v MK2 2001) off I can now see
ABS sensor ring on the o/s front (drivers side) appears to be, not just spinning but moving freely, it also has a big gap.

OFF SIDE
abs_sr1.gif

This photo doesn't do it justice, it litterally is all over the place if you nudge it.

ABS sensor ring on the n/s front (pass side) has a small gap.
Both are, as you can see, pretty corroded.

NEAR SIDE
abs_sr2.gif

Sorry about the crappy photo, this shows the split in the ring (are they cast as one piece and not supposed to split like this?)

Is the small gap indicated above enough to send a dodgy reading to the plugged in ABS sensor unit (just how accurate are they) I assume my speedo reading is taken from the box and not the ABS sensor as this seems fine.

When you buy a new ring are they just the small castleated ring or are they part of a bigger piece / section.
How easy are they to fit as I cant see how they stay put one you've slid it on?.

Seeing as it is probably still on the origional driveshafts and has done 87k would it be worth replacing the rings or just plump for new driveshafts on both sides.

Are the driveshafts from GSF car parts any good or would you recommend oem Renault parts? They are about £80 per side from GSF.

Due to the o/s ABS Sensor Ring having so much free play (and is no doubt catching the sensor as it turns) is it lightly I'll have a knackered ABS Sensor (the torx bolt fitted unit) for that side.

Any help would be great. :)

Rich

BMW M135i
I'd imagine they'll be your problem, considering the miliage i'd change the shafts tbh. GSF ones would be fine i'd imagine haven't heard anything to the contrary, the biggest problem with GSF is them ordering the right bits!

BMW M135i
ABS sensor might be knackered too, only way is to change the shafts/rings and see if it still does it.

visualize whirled pe
ABS sensor might be knackered too, only way is to change the shafts/rings and see if it still does it.

Cheers for the reply

Hmm I was thinking it might be worth putting new d shafts on both sides as I'd imagine they'll be the next thing to go (right after fitting new rings :) )

I can imagine the issue with ordering through GSF as tbf they usually have half a dozen part numbers for the same part and a very basic vehicle decription (as in; 98 > ).