ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

abs ring front

clio
Hi,

I am having more nightmares with my wife's clio sport 172.

I am getting a real juddering and feedback from the brake pedal on a clio 172 (non cup). I have replaced the discs and the pads but forgot to check the abs ring!

Am very annoyed with myself but I have had real distraction as I had a wheel stud snap off in a hub (thanks tyre fitters who must have over tightened!). Got a 2nd hub and fitted yesterday, car has been off the road for about 4/5 weeks.

Took me ages to get the hub off the driver side everything was seized solid even the brake piston was a pain to get on that side. Wheel studs back on torqued to 90nm.

Anyway I am guessing the brake judder is due to a cracked abs ring, I suspect the passenger side. From what I can read you can knock the old abs ring off the drive shaft but I can't find anywhere that sells the abs ring and I just wanted to check how many teeth the ring has is it 44?

Where can I buy a new abs ring? And is it easy to do????

I'll also have to get a new ball joint splitter as fitting the new hub broke my other one...

The joys of owning a clio...

Thanks for replies from a fed up husband of a clio sport driver :)

Richard

182cup & 172 racecar
Yes it is 44 teeth, if you do get another one I think you will have to check the width,as some are wider than others, but I don't know which ones are which.

clio
I guess it's another hub off to measure it :(

I'm right in thinking I need to take a little care with the passenger side driveshaft, that's the side that will leak gearbox oil if it comes loose?

Thanks

Richard

182cup & 172 racecar
No you can measure it with just the car jacked up.

You can get the hub off if you undo everything first, then as you pull the strut outwards knock the driveshaft through the bearing.

Or as you say, drain the gearbox and undo the three bolts around the rubber and pull it out that end.

LY 172
Ive bought plenty of rings from ebay with no problems.

stuck them in the oven for 10 mins. bit of grease and they slide on lovely

Lots of Alfas
As above, you can get them cheaply on ebay. Check it is the rings first, check they are aligned with the sensor.

clio
Thanks all, when this wet weather dies down I'll get the car jacked up and have a good look.

Moving soon...and a house with a garage is top of the wanted list :)

2nd Black 1.2
You dont need a new drive shaft, garages are adamint that you do, go to your local Renault and they should have ABS rings in stock. only about £12 for mine iirc