ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Abs not working, speedo is reading 10mph too slow

Clio Campus Sport
Had engine changed, I'm the middle if sorting out a misfire but my main problem now is the speedo seems to be running between 5 and 10mph to slow and abs light is on (and stop and handbrake light and maybe service light too) and I tested the abs on some gravel today and it's definitely not working. Brakes went hard briefly this afternoon too.
I read possible cause is abs ring on drive shaft but we have only just replaced the drive shaft.
How can I check if it's abs ring or something else?
Warning lights only come on after few minuets of driving.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
You need to physically examine them for condition... look for cracks and signs of other damage.

If you have a cracked ring you'll get judder what feels like the ABS kicking in at very low speeds when braking, if corroded then the light should only come on once driving as it won't pick it up. Sounds more like a sensor. Check they're all plugged in a gapped properly first of, also check the ABS fuse.

Do the lights stay on with just the ignition?

Clio Campus Sport
Is the abs ring the one on the driver side drive shaft? Because that drive shaft only replaced a couple of days ago.
When the ignition is on it has no lights, when I start driving it comes on usually within a mile.

Is the abs ring the one on the driver side drive shaft? Because that drive shaft only replaced a couple of days ago.
When the ignition is on it has no lights, when I start driving it comes on usually within a mile.
Sounds like the ring may have not been seated properly on fitting the driveshaft, rings are on both drive shafts. You can actually see them on the car to check if they're seated properly.

Clio Campus Sport
It's a 1.2 16v, I'm sure there were no rings on the passenger side drive shaft when it was off, I'll have a look under the car tomorrow.

Clio Campus Sport
What exactly do you mean seated properly?
As in the sensor gap?
Not delt with anything abs related yet so trying to get my head round it all. I think I now have a basic understanding of it.
Didn't get a chance to look at it today so hopefully tomorrow I'll get home before the light goes.
Planning on disconnecting and cleaning all the sensors ( if I can get a voltmeter then checking them too).
Is the car safe to drive without abs?
I'm thinking yes but then I don't want to be a complete dick and risk it if it's a no no.

The rings fit over the drive shafts and may not be fitted straight underneath the sensor, so the sensor wouldn't register the sine waves properly. You'll see what I mean when you get underneath the car and spin the wheel, also did the garage fit a 44 tooth ring? If not this would cause an issue with sine waves causing abs issues you have.

Don't want to alarm you but not only do you not have ABS but the brake bias is 50/50 meaning under hard braking especially in the wet the rear wheels lock up first. Just take it easy and you'll be fine until it's sorted.

Clio Campus Sport
As far as I'm aware the drive shaft came with the abs ring.
I still have the old drive shaft so I'll count them and see if it's right.
Drove it tonight briefly after fitting a coil pack and the speedometer wasn't registering at all.
Hoping to get this sorted without spending £££

Clio Campus Sport
Right had a look under the car, def an abs ring on each side. No clue what I thought I was looking at before!
Anyway new drive shaft has 26 abs teeth instead of 44 so I've fucked up and bought the wrong one.
So is it possible to get a ring and put a new one on or do I need a new drive shaft.
I thought my mechanic said he had checked it against the old one but obviously not.

Right had a look under the car, def an abs ring on each side. No clue what I thought I was looking at before!
Anyway new drive shaft has 26 abs teeth instead of 44 so I've fucked up and bought the wrong one.
So is it possible to get a ring and put a new one on or do I need a new drive shaft.
I thought my mechanic said he had checked it against the old one but obviously not.
Get the new one Steve posted above and fit it yourself, not the hardest job in the world just make sure you don't pull the driveshaft out the gearbox end on removing the hub end.

Clio Campus Sport
Thanks, I've saved it for when I have money to buy it.
I've looked up the drive shaft and the one I need and the length, seal and wheel side measurements are very slightly different sizes, is this going to cause problem/damage in the long run if I do keep the drive shaft and just replace the ring?

I've looked up the drive shaft and the one I need and the length, seal and wheel side measurements are very slightly different sizes, is this going to cause problem/damage in the long run if I do keep the drive shaft and just replace the ring?
Why would you need another drive shaft? Just buy the ring from EBay for £3 and fit over the current driveshaft?

PH2 172

Nobody can answer that until you tell us what model year your car is, the engine size and the actual shaft you have bought?
I think I have read between the lines correctly and we are talking about the drivers side shaft?

Clio Campus Sport
OMG! Yes I could have done with that link a week ago!
The only reason I went through euros was the fact that I could take it back if it was the wrong size.
Ebay says it's not compatible with my car tho and there are no measurements on the description
Had the same headache last year replacing the passenger side drive shaft.

PH2 172
Trying to call them to check before I decide on anything.

I`m confused as the Q drive shaft you have posted is for the UK passenger side.
The D4F 16v was utilised in both Clio 11 & 111,which were sold side by side for a number of years.
Which do you have?
The link I posted was for Clio 11.
The Clio 111 J&R shaft is £49.99.

PH2 172
And it's a mk 2 clio
The one I posted should be correct, but check with them 1st.
You could also enquire if the shafts are identical other than the ABS rings, so that that you have the option of just swapping the ABS ring.
Hope you get it sorted.:smile:

Clio Campus Sport
I think I am going to have to replace the one I have fitted anyway, it's started clunking on full lock today.
I'll try ring them again later to check compatibility so fingers crossed.
Thanks for everyone's help
And watch out for my future thread on struggling to change a drive shaft! ;)