ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ABS light

Clio 1.2 Dynamique
I got in my car the other day and my ABS light came on so i left it for a bit to see if it would go and it still hasnt what could this be down to?

Clio 1.2 Billabong
Sometimes the clip on the CV boot will break off and sit over the ABS ring, interfering with the sensor.

Hi,

First of all any help is greatly appreciated, even if you just tell me the name of what I think I'm looking at and what it does - I have no mechanical knowledge and don't fancy getting mugged by the garage.

I have a 2001 Renault clio 1.2 Dynamique - 53,000 miles, no service history.

Driving to work this morning and I heard 'something go' while driving down a straight piece of road, not under braking. I looked down at my dash and my service light had come on as well as my ABS light, but not the stop light.

The brakes still work fine under normal braking, however under heavy braking the ABS does not kick in and I lock up the fronts.

Under inspection when I got home I noticed this;

Am I right in thinking that something is missing from the front right? I'm guessing this has something to do with the ABS sensor/or ABS system?

If anyone can inform as to what this thing does / what its called / the price of a replacement / is it a job I could undertake myself and if not how many man hours will it take the garage and how much would they charge?

Thanks in advance,

Tom

PMSL - have a feel mate, it should feel like the left one. They come like that as standard (obviously) anyway so god knows why yours doesnt (if it doesn't)!

Right, confused here - the pictures are of my car.

The front left has teeth, the front right (as shown in the picture) appears not to have any...

Are you saying the front right comes without teeth as standard?

Right, confused here - the pictures are of my car.

The front left has teeth, the front right (as shown in the picture) appears not to have any...

Are you saying the front right comes without teeth as standard?
No, I'm saying it's supposed to have teeth! Just wondering why the light has only just decided to come on.

No, I'm saying it's supposed to have teeth! Just wondering why the light has only just decided to come on.

Agh got you. Well I was presuming that it had shorn off somehow while I was driving... is that unusual or even impossible?

I did have new disks, pads etc about a month ago... could they have done something wrong?

Agh got you. Well I was presuming that it had shorn off somehow while I was driving... is that unusual or even impossible?

I did have new disks, pads etc about a month ago... could they have done something wrong?
I don't see how mate... they just look rusted to feck! Maybe that's what's caused it.

I don't see how mate... they just look rusted to feck! Maybe that's what's caused it.

Ok, well I presume it needs replacing as my ABS doesn't work now and I'm guessing it won't pass an MOT. What am I looking at anyway and what does it do? Is it an easy / expensive part / job? Ta.

RARE Unmolested Corsa sxi
Ok, well I presume it needs replacing as my ABS doesn't work now and I'm guessing it won't pass an MOT. What am I looking at anyway and what does it do? Is it an easy / expensive part / job? Ta.

I wont pass an MOT with the ABS light on. I'm not too sure if you can just replace the toothed ring or if a whole driveshaft is needed.

I'd take it to a garage at this point mate. It's possible to replace yourself but a complete c0ck of a job (or so I've heard)! :(

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
my abs light was on for roughly 9months, didnt affect my breaking atall luckily. but it was the ABS sensor which i though it was as i kinda tried to remove it when gettin the hub off ..

try and get a mate that works in a garage if you can to hook it up and find which side it is, will be cheaper when you kno which side it is..

Clio
Yep the Reluctor ring has gone. Rusted off by the looks of it. It's really not worth trying to find one as a replacement as there not that easy come by and I'd near place money on the fact that Renault will look for you to buy a whole new CV joint. You could get one of these from a motor factors and replace it but this is really hard to replace. By far the cheapest option is to get a whole "new" driveshaft from a scrapy. For a garage to replace this should take no longer than 20 mins. Had it been the passenger side you'd of had to get gearbox fluid as the driveshaft seals the box. The only problem you could come across is if the ring breaking off has damaged the sensor. Its up to you should you take the "cross that bridge when you come to it" or get a refundable sensor from somewhere to be on the safe side.

LY 182
sensor rings are comically easy to change..
would much rather change one of them than a shaft as it saves me messing about with gearbox oil,,,,

and renault do list them.. partsmen struggle to find them though

i'd charge less to fit a ring than a shaft by a decent amount

Gaz85

ClioSport Club Member
  330e, golf r, EP3 s4
I had my abs ring go on my clio was luckly still under warranty but they didnt have the parts and fitted a new drive shaft.

all in all cost me like £30 for the gearbox oil and think cost them like £200 they said all in all would cost to do if not covered.