ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ABS Light on after ~30 minutes Driving

Ph2 Clio 172
Hi all

Strange problem that has arisen on my 172FF. After about 30 minutes of normal driving (half way along my commute) my ABS light comes on. A stamp on the brakes proves that the ABS is definitely not working when it comes on. The random thing is that if I stop, turn the engine of, then straight back on again and carry on the ABS light goes out and doesn't come back on again (my commute is just under an hour). Stamping on the brakes again shows that the ABS is back working again.

I'm a bit confused as to where to start looking? I've made an attempt to check the ABS sensor rings today but the previous owner obviously got the wheel nuts tightened with the mother of all air guns and they wont budge. Off to a garage when I get a moment to get them loosend. But either way, its strange the light comes on after 30 minutes but goes straight off again if I restart the car?

Any ideas welcome!

Many thanks!

172 Ph2, Mk1 MX5 1.8
I had this, check the Brake pedal switch on the brake pedal and adjust as necessary, there is a thread on here somewhere if you get stuck. Also your brake fluid, mine was a little low, seemed to sort it.

Other than that it may be the ABS rings as you say.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Had something like this on the Williams 3 I had. Turns out it was an electrical fault. Sorting out the cableing and it fixed the problem. I'd be going to someone with a fault code reader.

Da

Less
Is the ABS light the only one that illuminates?

Doubt it's the pedal switch to be fair, more likely a broken ABS ring.

Ph2 Clio 172
ABS and SERV come on, nothing else (unless someone has moved the passenger seat and the airbag light is on). Where could I get use of a diagnostics machine, or where can youu buy decent ones cheap? Id like to know where to look.

S4 Avant
ABS sensors knackered.

Take it to a garage, get them to diagnose it and replace said broken sensor

DMS

A thirsty 172
I had the same problem over a year ago. It was the pedal switch. A slight adjustment and it's never played up since.

Ph2 Clio 172
I had the same problem over a year ago. It was the pedal switch. A slight adjustment and it's never played up since.

Seen as this will likely be a lot cheaper than the diagnostic/fix it route, is there any more information on these switches so I can try this first? All the information I can find about it is that its there.

Cheers